Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I've recently received offers for Anthropology at Durham, Edinburgh and Kent for Anthropology, I'm really glad to have gotten those three!

I'm having difficulty in choosing the best one in terms of academic and social life. I'd be an international student moving to a new country so I think its important to like where I live! I'm more a mellow person, not into big night life but establishing social circles and getting to know people

Academically, Edinburgh and Durham are in the Russel Group but from what I've seen from Kent is that their Anthropology department is impressive though Edinburgh and Durham's prestige exceeds that of Kent I would think.

I'm not sure which University would strike the balance between relaxed, friendly social life and academic excellence. I'd appreciate any help!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I'm also an applicant for Anthropology at Kent and Durham (deferred entry for 2016)! Have recieved an offer from Kent, but still waiting on Durham -fingers crossed-.

Kent:
    I visited Kent on their open day, and it's certainly true that their school of Anthroplogy and Conservation had some very good facilities, the sample lecture I attended also wasn't too shabby. The city of Canterbury is gorgeous - and it has a large student population. Also, as far as I know it has plenty of pubs and bars as well as a few clubs. The Canterbury Campus itself had a really green feel if anything - lots of open spaces to sit and relax! The majority of halls accomodation were ensuite and a generous size. The only um and er was from the price of food at some of the campus cafes. Kent has been rising pretty quickly in the leauge tables, and it's clear why. Another upside to the location is that it's only an hour away from London by train, and very close to the Dover ferries which gives you easy access to locations in Europe (I'm a traveller at heart!).

Durham:
    Drool drool drool for the architecture of this place - it's like walking through Hogwarts. I'm a sucker for old buildings, and definitely prefer the looks of Durham over Kent. You're correct in assuming that the prestige of Durham exceeds that of Kent, it's the oldest estasblished university in the UK aside from that of Oxford and Cambridge. I have an older friend who completed her MA in Anthropology here, and said the academic facilites were very good. In my own personal taste I prefer the location of Kent, Durham itself isnt a very exciting place for the stereotypical student life. Many sites recommenend hopping on the train to Newcastle for any clubbing needs. I also love the traditional practices that some colleges at Durham still maintain - such as gowned formal dinners. Sadly for me its extremely far from home and I'd have to hop on a plane to get there! Whereas Kent is only an hour and a tad away.

Edinburgh, Im afraid I have no clue! I hope I've provided some helpful insight into the other two . Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoisland)
    Hi there!

I'm also an applicant for Anthropology at Kent and Durham (deferred entry for 2016)! Have recieved an offer from Kent, but still waiting on Durham -fingers crossed-.

Kent:
    I visited Kent on their open day, and it's certainly true that their school of Anthroplogy and Conservation had some very good facilities, the sample lecture I attended also wasn't too shabby. The city of Canterbury is gorgeous - and it has a large student population. Also, as far as I know it has plenty of pubs and bars as well as a few clubs. The Canterbury Campus itself had a really green feel if anything - lots of open spaces to sit and relax! The majority of halls accomodation were ensuite and a generous size. The only um and er was from the price of food at some of the campus cafes. Kent has been rising pretty quickly in the leauge tables, and it's clear why. Another upside to the location is that it's only an hour away from London by train, and very close to the Dover ferries which gives you easy access to locations in Europe (I'm a traveller at heart!).

Durham:
    Drool drool drool for the architecture of this place - it's like walking through Hogwarts. I'm a sucker for old buildings, and definitely prefer the looks of Durham over Kent. You're correct in assuming that the prestige of Durham exceeds that of Kent, it's the oldest estasblished university in the UK aside from that of Oxford and Cambridge. I have an older friend who completed her MA in Anthropology here, and said the academic facilites were very good. In my own personal taste I prefer the location of Kent, Durham itself isnt a very exciting place for the stereotypical student life. Many sites recommenend hopping on the train to Newcastle for any clubbing needs. I also love the traditional practices that some colleges at Durham still maintain - such as gowned formal dinners. Sadly for me its extremely far from home and I'd have to hop on a plane to get there! Whereas Kent is only an hour and a tad away.

Edinburgh, Im afraid I have no clue! I hope I've provided some helpful insight into the other two . Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply! I think between Kent and Durham its about choosing Academics or a better place to live. :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.