Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to do HL Physics, English, History and SL: Spanish, Political Thought, Maths Studies.

I get almost 100 UMS at GCSE Maths, I just want to do maths studies as I can do it in one year, focus on other subjects, less work, easier, better grades etc.

I do not want to do sciences at uni. I will do humanities- atm either History or Law.
    However, I love Physics. Just as an academic interest.
    As my maths skills are solid, is it fine to take Physics HL without maths SL or HL?

Thank you

(Also are my subject combinations generally good anyway? For what I want to do? Thanks)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's at all recommended, maybe if you dropped it to sl and do another as a higher?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria da Penha)
    I don't think it's at all recommended, maybe if you dropped it to sl and do another as a higher?
    I want to keep Physics as a HL, do you think it would be fine having Maths SL instead then (not studies)?

I'm very confused about the difficulty of Maths SL, it a 7 achievable with a solid maths background and a decent amount of effort??
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Why not do Maths SL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Maths sl with physics sl and the math is sufficient, I'd guess maybe you'll have to work with your physics teacher on maths or at least to do some of the material earlier. My physics hl colleagues are both in math hl and I find them using topics in maths I will only learn next year.
    As for the 7 in maths it is achievable if you have a solid background but you have to remember that the level is normal so you'll still have to put in the work.
    I'm also doing English lit and history hl so you'll have to manage quite bit of workload especially with the physics but good luck.
    Bottom line, definitely do maths standard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    Why not do Maths SL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm moving to a very academic sixth form to do IB, they categorically told me do Studies if I don't need maths for my future career plans... however I don't think I'm going to follow their advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria da Penha)
    I'm doing Maths sl with physics sl and the math is sufficient, I'd guess maybe you'll have to work with your physics teacher on maths or at least to do some of the material earlier. My physics hl colleagues are both in math hl and I find them using topics in maths I will only learn next year.
    As for the 7 in maths it is achievable if you have a solid background but you have to remember that the level is normal so you'll still have to put in the work.
    I'm also doing English lit and history hl so you'll have to manage quite bit of workload especially with the physics but good luck.
    Bottom line, definitely do maths standard
    Thank you for all your advice, this is really helpful! I think I will do SL Maths, and check if I need to learn any specific bits of Maths for certain topics in HL Physics.

I know this is probably hard to quantify but how much is the workload for my choice of subjects/ even just the ones we have in common? I'm completely new to IB and was always planning on doing A Levels, so I have no idea how much work IB actually is compared to what I've had to do for GCSE.

Lastly, the maths teacher at my new school, who teaches SL, said the reason people find SL hard is because they expect it to be easy, but it actually has the workload equivalent of a HL. Is this true??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nomes24)
    Thank you for all your advice, this is really helpful! I think I will do SL Maths, and check if I need to learn any specific bits of Maths for certain topics in HL Physics.

I know this is probably hard to quantify but how much is the workload for my choice of subjects/ even just the ones we have in common? I'm completely new to IB and was always planning on doing A Levels, so I have no idea how much work IB actually is compared to what I've had to do for GCSE.

Lastly, the maths teacher at my new school, who teaches SL, said the reason people find SL hard is because they expect it to be easy, but it actually has the workload equivalent of a HL. Is this true??
    History at least for me right now the workload isn't too bad we just learn material really quickly and do in class essays like every 2 weeks. As for english I find it takes quite a bit of time because of al the novels we have to study and additional material to support those studies. On a similar note I also found a huge jump from the english level at myp (gcse equivalent).
    I'm doing physics and I just find that we go through material quickly and I take longer to really make sense of it, for HL I think there is more material and some tricker topics which will probably be very time consuming. Even through I do have friends doing physics and english hl and find English to be harder... just depends on your strengths.
    As for maths your teacher is right, there is the misconception that maths sl is easier as there is a higher level but maths sl is just like the national maths level. Actually, comparing to the Portuguese system, some say ib maths sl is slightly harder.
    I'm doing spanish b sl and it is really easy, i just have to do the homework the teacher gives us which isn't much. If you're doing spanish a I'm guessing that be more work.
    My tip would be to study consistently and put in the work. Don't get to stressed if your grades lower at the beggining just keep working, especially as you have some more academic subjects

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.