Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Choosing A-Levels? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in Year 11, IVE applied to college to do 4 A levels: Biology, Psychology, Modern History and Business Studies. However, I have an interview in a couple of weeks and we can change them, and I'm a bit unsure on what to choose?
    Biology- I really enjoy it and do well in tests usually getting A*s, but if I don't do Chemistry is there any point doing a Biology A level?? I'm okay at Chemistry, My estimated grade is an A but apparently it is way harder at A level than GCSE.. obviously they all are but everuone IVE talked too said its a huge step up especially in Chemistry. I chose History because I heard T's good to have a written subject and good if I want to do law, I'm interested in psychology, I think business studies is very interesting but I'm also considering Maths. I really don't have. a clue what I want to do after college , and I can't choose between those 6 subjexts as I need to get in down to 4 and I don't know what's the best combination. Those subjects I could be a doctor, lawyer, psychologist, accountant.. but I really don't know any advice?? And if you've stidies any subjects how hard are they in comparison to each other?

ReputationRep:
    The Bio/Chem thing is a myth, I hold university offers for Biology without a Chemistry AS/A-level! However, a second science (chem/physics/maths and in some places, geography/geology/psychology/PE) is beneficial if you're intending to apply for Biology courses at uni, however. In my case this was Maths, and depending on where you apply this could be Psychology.

However, if you're aiming for medicine, you will need Chemistry. For Law, just getting high grades is good. Psychology, probably just good grades in psychology, although I'm not too sure. And to be an accountant, you will probably want Maths.

So far, your chosen subjects would be good for Law, Psychology and Biology-related degrees [although not medicine]. Your sixth form may have a taster day in the summer, and that could help you choose then, but ultimately if you like your current options then you may as well stick with them for now.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to do chemistry at A-level for biology, but it helps a lot.

Maths and chemistry both have quite large steps up from GCSE to A-level.
    You shouldn't need to do only 4.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.