Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to study Sociology at Birmingham, Aston, Warwick, Leicester, and Loughborough and I have received all offers. I would really appreciate any insight into what any of these unis are like, and even better if Sociology specific information can be offered...I'm starting to feel unprepared and hopefully this can help me!

Thanks...
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi there,

rather than giving you a generic sales garb, i was wondering if you had any specific questions, relating the the course? Aston or Birmingham in general. I graduated last year with a joint honours degree in psychology and sociology, so i should be able to help you.

Josh

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I study Sociology at Aston, I can say that the quality of teaching is good.Department of Sociology is small however it had been awarded a prestigious national award. I enjoy the course and find it is intellectually challenging, Please find a link with a short information about the award that the department received. I hope that helps

http://www.aston.ac.uk/about/news/re...ing-sociology/

Shemy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shemy1990)
    Hi

I study Sociology at Aston, I can say that the quality of teaching is good.Department of Sociology is small however it had been awarded a prestigious national award. I enjoy the course and find it is intellectually challenging, Please find a link with a short information about the award that the department received. I hope that helps

http://www.aston.ac.uk/about/news/re...ing-sociology/

Shemy
    Thank you! I just want to get real life opinions on how good the course is and the surrounding area as opposed to just believing the prospectus because there aren't really any differentials between the unis in prospectuses they all claim to be great etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aston University)
    Hi there,

rather than giving you a generic sales garb, i was wondering if you had any specific questions, relating the the course? Aston or Birmingham in general. I graduated last year with a joint honours degree in psychology and sociology, so i should be able to help you.

Josh
    Little things that I've been told to look out for such as:
    distance from the train station? in terms of walking with luggage etc.
    whats public transport like in Birmingham?
    can you tell me what the Sociology teaching is like, for example are there any prestigious sociologists there?
    what are the average living costs in your opinion?
    is there anything you think I should know that they are unlikely to tell me?

Thanks for your offer of help,

Kahvan

ReputationRep:
    I have to say that I was quite lucky to get into Aston and what people have been saying to me about the university prior to my first year turned out to be true-I am glad I'm part of sociology in Aston ,it is definitely above average in terms of quality of teaching .I feel like I have benefited from the course a lot so far,but I also want to emphasise that your personal input into your degree is what matters most ,all the resources available at Aston as well as supportive lecturers are there to help you do well- and if you are admitted to Aston that means you will do well cause they recruit students who can and want to do well.So don't worry ,you will be in good hands

Shemy
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by KRBryan)
    Little things that I've been told to look out for such as:
    distance from the train station? in terms of walking with luggage etc.
    whats public transport like in Birmingham?
    can you tell me what the Sociology teaching is like, for example are there any prestigious sociologists there?

Thanks for your offer of help,

Kahvan
    Hi there, it's around a 15 minute walk from the train station to campus, you can find a map of the route here, i would suggest doubling the estimated travel time when laden with heavy bags.

Public transport is fairly decent, it can get a bit crowded in the winter with the German market and Christmas shoppers but you should be able to get exactly where you need to go.

I really enjoyed the teaching at Aston lectures were thoughtful and engaging often fostering debate and independent thinking. There are a number of cool things that have happened in the department Uwe Schutte has bought in some well known guest lecturers from musical backgrounds such as members of the KLF, he almost had Wolfgang Flur from Kraftwerk visit as well if it wasn't for some last minute flight cancellations.

The cost of living will obviously depend on where you come from, for example many students from London praise Birmingham for being cheap, where as many northerners find it slightly more expensive, worst comes to worst you will be able to find a part time job to support your studies, hundreds of places take on new students every September.

Nothing much really, the only thing i would say is make sure to make the most of your experience whilst your here, join clubs and societies, work hard and have fun. University is genuinely one of the best times in your life.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Kahvan,

I'm a current second year Sociology BSc student at Aston, and part of the Sociology Society committee, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to reply to this post or send me a message directly!

Rob

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbobbobbb)
    Hi Kahvan,

I'm a current second year Sociology BSc student at Aston, and part of the Sociology Society committee, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to reply to this post or send me a message directly!

Rob
    Hi Rob,

I was asked to get real life opinions about the unis as this will help me make a really well informed choice.
    I basically want to know all pros and cons you found with the course and uni?

Thanks,

Kahvan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KRBryan)
    Hi Rob,

I was asked to get real life opinions about the unis as this will help me make a really well informed choice.
    I basically want to know all pros and cons you found with the course and uni?

Thanks,

Kahvan
    The course itself is really well thought through, year one brings everybody up to the same level - whether they've had previous experience with sociology or not. There's a new module called Becoming A Social Scientist that replaces Research Methods in year one, I didn't complete it myself, but others who are currently enrolled in the module who I've spoken to have been enjoying it. To be honest it sounds a lot better than what I did, especially for those who haven't done sociology before.

The University itself is fantastic, personally I cannot praise it enough. It's gained many prestigious awards over the years (there's a bit about it, and the overall rankings on here http://www.aston.ac.uk/about/rankings/), sociology itself is fairly highly ranking in terms of course satisfaction (http://www.aston.ac.uk/study/undergr...icy/sociology/).

Teaching is really high quality, there's apparently a rule that teaching staff must respond to students emails within 48 hours (vacation depending) so everyone can be got in touch with very quickly, most reply within a few hours. And all have office hours or drop-in sessions when you can visit them in their offices.

The best place to see all of the teaching staff for sociology is on http://www.aston.ac.uk/lss/staff-directory/ - you'll be able to look at personal profiles of each member of teaching staff. Many have a wealth of experience in advising/researching for government bodies and most have had works published in their respective areas of study.

Cost of living in Birmingham is fairly cheap. There's a small Tesco on campus and a shop in the Union for everyday items, so everything is close by. About 10 minutes walk away is the Bullring shopping centre, for just about anything else you want, including the Bullring markets, where you can get fruit and veg, clothes, basically anything. Birmingham having around 70,000 students has loads of student discounts going, the majority of places in Bullring give at least 10% off to students. Grand Central shopping centre is due to open later this year too, basically next to the Bullring. A 15 minute walk will get you to the Mailbox, where there's some more upmarket shopping and dining outlets.

They probably would tell you this on an open day, but in case they didn't/don't, there's a lot of reading involved with sociology, so be prepared for that!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.