Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to study Sociology at Birmingham, Aston, Warwick, Leicester, and Loughborough and I have received all offers. I would really appreciate any insight into what any of these unis are like, and even better if Sociology specific information can be offered...I'm starting to feel unprepared and hopefully this can help me!

Thanks...
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi KRBryan

Well congrats on getting offers from all 4 Unis. Obviously the best one for Sociology is Loughborough!
    Joking aside, hopefully some current students will come along to give you an insight.

Our Sociology courses are taught by academics who are leaders in their field of research. What this means to you is that you get the benefit of the very latest developments in the field while you're learning - you can't get more current than that.
    The course can also be complimented with criminology and social policy, social psychology, and media and communications modules throughout the degree, so you can choose your area or areas of interest and really tailor your degree to be what you want to learn about and what you're interested in.

And as with every single course we offer, you've got the opportunity to do a placement year in industry. Students who have done it say it's a really valuable thing to do (you start getting your professional contacts early!) and there is loads of support to help you secure a year out. Alternatively, you also have the opportunity to study overseas in University, another feather in your cap when it comes to job hunting.

You can also have a look here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect/course/social_sciences for all the unis you are interested in.

If you've got any more questions let me know!

Vicky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loughborough University)
    Hi KRBryan

Well congrats on getting offers from all 4 Unis. Obviously the best one for Sociology is Loughborough!
    Joking aside, hopefully some current students will come along to give you an insight.

Our Sociology courses are taught by academics who are leaders in their field of research. What this means to you is that you get the benefit of the very latest developments in the field while you're learning - you can't get more current than that.
    The course can also be complimented with criminology and social policy, social psychology, and media and communications modules throughout the degree, so you can choose your area or areas of interest and really tailor your degree to be what you want to learn about and what you're interested in.

And as with every single course we offer, you've got the opportunity to do a placement year in industry. Students who have done it say it's a really valuable thing to do (you start getting your professional contacts early!) and there is loads of support to help you secure a year out. Alternatively, you also have the opportunity to study overseas in University, another feather in your cap when it comes to job hunting.

You can also have a look here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect/course/social_sciences for all the unis you are interested in.

If you've got any more questions let me know!

Vicky
    I keep being told Loughborough is in the middle of nowhere and as I haven't actually been there as of yet, I am unsure how true this is. How easy is it to get to the uni using public transport? How close is Loughborough to other major cities? What are average living costs like in your opinion?

Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi KRBryan

We're really not in the middle of nowhere, we're 12 miles from Leicester and 15 miles from Nottingham.
    Public transport links are great. There's a bus that runs straight to the uni - you can see info here of the different routes available:
    https://www.kinchbus.co.uk/bus-information/route-list

Train links are really good to - if you wanted to go to London, it's only 90 minutes by train and the train station is just over a mile away.

Average living costs are lower than other major cities. Everything is pretty good value in the town too!
    It's really worth coming up for a visit if you get the chance - the single site campus will really impress you I think. It's safe, secure and you've got everything you need and there is a real sense of community. It's a great place to study and live (and work!). It's also huge - we have a free bus service running through campus every 10 minutes until 4.30am during term time. It also goes on to town and the train station (but you have to pay for journeys off campus).

Only you can decide which place is best for you, but I hope this has given you a bit more info to help you make your choices!

Vicky

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.