Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at unis and I was wondering what people though about the Royal Vet College? From what I've seen it looks good, but does anyone have hands-on experience with it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've moved your thread to the Veterinary Medicine sub-forum, as you're more likely to get useful replies here.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a second year vet student at the RVC if you have any questions 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckycat)
    I'm a second year vet student at the RVC if you have any questions ������

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi! Thanks! ^^

I checked the website, but just to be sure do you need to have done maths in the sixth form?

Also, so, how much work experience/where did you do to secure a place? ^^ I know the minimum requirements, but they are just the minimum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHalfCentaur)
    Hi! Thanks! ^^

I checked the website, but just to be sure do you need to have done maths in the sixth form?

Also, so, how much work experience/where did you do to secure a place? ^^ I know the minimum requirements, but they are just the minimum.
    You definitely don't have to do maths, you have to do biology and chemistry but your third subject is up to you. I did physics but know others that did non sciencey subjects like English.

Work experience wise I worked a couple of evenings a week at my local vets for a two ish years before applying, 3 weeks small animal vets, 2 weeks large animal vets, 2 weeks lambing, 2 weeks dairy, 1 week goats, 1 week kennels, 1 week stables, 1 week exotics. I know people in my year with a bit less work experience though. Just try to get as much varied work experience as you can!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

Do you know anything about doing an intercalated year at rvc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHalfCentaur)
    Thank you!

Do you know anything about doing an intercalated year at rvc?
    I don't know a huge amount about it to be honest since its not something I'm planning to do. But I do know of a few people planning to intercalate between 2nd and 3rd year. RVC offer you the chance to either study bioveterinary science or veterinary pathology in your intercalated year. Or you can go to another uni for the year and study something completely different.

ReputationRep:
    That's great, thank you ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckycat)
    I'm a second year vet student at the RVC if you have any questions ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, Thanks for the help!

I really like RVC but the one thing I'm not too keen about is how the college is dedicated to one department and it won't be as easy to meet a wide range of new people.
    I've talked with the staff from the university and they ensured me that I will have lots of opportunities to meet people from outside the college.
    However I know how intense the course is so I'm worried that even if I'm given the opportunity, I'll be way too busy to actually get out of uni and join clubs from the University of London and stuff.
    So I was wondering what it is really?

Also do you like the course? I've heard that you get lots and lots of hands on experience...

Thanks for the help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.