Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

so I got an offer from Goldsmiths today which I was very excited about since it's my first choice. But in my offer letter it says that "the institution regards you as overseas for fees purposes". This is very confusing since I am a German citizen and have been all my life. I thought that EU students pay the same tuition fees as UK students do?
    I do have dual nationality, since I am half Turkish and I stated that on the application form. Could that be the reason I am "regarded as overseas"? The thing is that I don't even speak Turkish, I haven't been in Turkey since I was like a year old and my parents both have German citizenship.
    I am seriously so confused right now and I would be so angry if they wanted me to pay the international fees that I can absolutely not afford.

Has someone else been in a similar situation and can tell me what happened there? I already e-mailed the admissions team and I might call tomorrow too.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aslanwaslan)
    Hey everyone,

so I got an offer from Goldsmiths today which I was very excited about since it's my first choice. But in my offer letter it says that "the institution regards you as overseas for fees purposes". This is very confusing since I am a German citizen and have been all my life. I thought that EU students pay the same tuition fees as UK students do?
    I do have dual nationality, since I am half Turkish and I stated that on the application form. Could that be the reason I am "regarded as overseas"? The thing is that I don't even speak Turkish, I haven't been in Turkey since I was like a year old and my parents both have German citizenship.
    I am seriously so confused right now and I would be so angry if they wanted me to pay the international fees that I can absolutely not afford.

Has someone else been in a similar situation and can tell me what happened there? I already e-mailed the admissions team and I might call tomorrow too.

Thanks in advance!
    International vs EU vs Home status mostly relies on residency, rather than citizenship. If you've lived in Germany for the last three years, then you should be counted as an EU student for the purposes of tuition fees. If this is the case, then Goldsmiths have probably just made a mistake and will rectify it.

However, if you currently live outside the EEA, or have lived elsewhere in the world in the last three years, you might be classed as an international student- if it was only a short period, you may still be able to make a case for being classed as an EU student though.

You might also find this page useful to have a look at: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...ts-new-2015-16

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aslanwaslan)
    Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance!
    As SlowLorisIncognito says, fees tend to be based on residency but the fees bit on the UCAS form can sometimes lead to confusion, especially if you don't fit neatly into one of the categories and end up choosing "other".

It was precisely this that led to one of my daughter's choices classing her as overseas, even though she has dual UK/EU nationality and has never lived outside the EU. However, we contacted the university's admissions team and they sent out a form for her to fill in which clarified the situation and they amended to home/EU.

This may be what has happened in your case, so if you don't receive a reply to your e-mail within a couple of days, definitely follow up with a phone call.

ReputationRep:
    Great, thanks to both of you! This definitely cleared things up. I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to go to Goldsmiths after all.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.