Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why this is happening...it's been going on for a couple of days.

When I switch on/restart my laptop, it comes on but the screen goes completely blank. It does not load at all.

I have tried: rebooting it, taking the battery out and putting it in again, letting the battery drain, checking the screen and switching it off and on, pressing the on/off switch for 60 seconds, but I am still having the same problem.

Help!

ReputationRep:
    Oops! Mods, please move this to the Computers thread.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Dee Leigh)

When I switch on/restart my laptop, it comes on but the screen goes completely blank. It does not load at all.

I have tried: rebooting it, taking the battery out and putting it in again, letting the battery drain, checking the screen and switching it off and on, pressing the on/off switch for 60 seconds, but I am still having the same problem.

Help!

If your screen is actually coming on but not displaying anything then its likely your system files are ****ed. You can fix this by inserting a recovery disk and booting from that. To do this you need to press one of the "F" keys (cant remember which one) upon switching on your laptop. If you choose to completely restore the computer you will lose all your files.

If your screen isn't even coming on then chances are your laptop isn't repairable.

ReputationRep:
    Done

ReputationRep:

Help!

Does anything appear on the display at all?

ReputationRep:
    We need to know exactly when the issue occurred, originally.
    Did you do anything in particular before the issue occurred?
    What exactly does the computer do? Explain in detail.

Does it show the BIOS splash screen before switching off?

What exactly happens when you press the power button?

Help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    If your screen is actually coming on but not displaying anything then its likely your system files are ****ed. You can fix this by inserting a recovery disk and booting from that. To do this you need to press one of the "F" keys (cant remember which one) upon switching on your laptop. If you choose to completely restore the computer you will lose all your files.

If your screen isn't even coming on then chances are your laptop isn't repairable.
    I did that but I'm having the same issue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Does anything appear on the display at all?
    No, nothing at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jared44)
    We need to know exactly when the issue occurred, originally.
    Did you do anything in particular before the issue occurred?
    What exactly does the computer do? Explain in detail.

Does it show the BIOS splash screen before switching off?

What exactly happens when you press the power button?
    To answer your questions:
    Issue started on Monday.
    No, nothing at all. This issue is so random.
    It powers up but the screen is blank and I can't hear anything.
    No.
    When I switch it on the screen is blank.

ReputationRep:
    Is the system displaying the Power On System Test? Its starting to sound like a hardware issue, in which case it may not be repairable.

ReputationRep:
    To answer your questions:
    Issue started on Monday.
    No, nothing at all. This issue is so random.
    It powers up but the screen is blank and I can't hear anything.
    No.
    When I switch it on the screen is blank.
    have you connected to a external monitor to make sure its not the display?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mufc786)
    have you connected to a external monitor to make sure its not the display?
    Yes - I took it into uni to get someone in IT to have a quick look at it. They tried connecting it to an external monitor but that didn't work. Nothing showed up. The guy who checked the laptop thinks it's not the display that's the issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonyc1983)
    Is the system displaying the Power On System Test? Its starting to sound like a hardware issue, in which case it may not be repairable.
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    Are you able to remove the CMOS battery (not the normal battery)? If you're not sure what that is, please give us the make and model of your laptop and we'll see how to do it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.