Turn on thread page Beta

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone on here will be able to help.

Recently I've been getting really anxious about money. I'm a uni student but I'm doing fine money-wise - I've got plenty of money to last me the semester and I get help from home when I need it. But this year I've found myself really stressing about money. It's really irrational and it's bringing me down. I know that I can't possibly spend enough to run out of money before the end of term yet I never want to buy anything as a luxury and when I spent money unnecessarily I get really anxious and depressed and spent a lot of time over-thinking it, asking myself if I needed to buy it, what I could have done with that money etc. I don't know where this has come from. I've cut down how much I eat at uni to the point where I'm losing weight - all out of this irrational fear that I won't have enough money to last. It's completely changed me as a person as I never used to have this before.

Any advice would be really appreciated. How can I stop this? Why is it happening?

Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys, I'm hoping someone on here will be able to help.

Recently I've been getting really anxious about money. I'm a uni student but I'm doing fine money-wise - I've got plenty of money to last me the semester and I get help from home when I need it. But this year I've found myself really stressing about money. It's really irrational and it's bringing me down. I know that I can't possibly spend enough to run out of money before the end of term yet I never want to buy anything as a luxury and when I spent money unnecessarily I get really anxious and depressed and spent a lot of time over-thinking it, asking myself if I needed to buy it, what I could have done with that money etc. I don't know where this has come from. I've cut down how much I eat at uni to the point where I'm losing weight - all out of this irrational fear that I won't have enough money to last. It's completely changed me as a person as I never used to have this before.

Any advice would be really appreciated. How can I stop this? Why is it happening?
    I'm sorry that you are feeling anxious about money. There isn't always a reason why we develop anxiety but there are things that you can do about it. Is it only money that you are feeling anxious about or have you found that it is creeping into other areas of your life as well? I would advice popping into see your GP about how you are feeling as sometimes there are some physical health problems which might make you feel anxious so they might want to examine you or do a blood test. Depending on how severe the anxiety is they might suggest medication or some form of therapy.

Your might find this helpful to have a look at also, it is a self help guide produced by one of the NHS trusts up north for anxiety. http://www.ntw.nhs.uk/pic/leaflets/A...0A4%202013.pdf

I am just going to pop your thread across to the mental health forum as you might get a bit more help there

ReputationRep:
    It is good that your family/friends give financial help when you need it because everybody needs help when they are down so don't be ashamed to ask for help! As for the stress, maybe it's that feeling of thinking of a lot of things because I'm sure there are lots of people that feel bad for buying things that they maybe didn't need-I always do it! But it just know that it is completely ok to treat yourself as we should because we all work hard, we are young as it won't be long until we have major responsibilities such as kids to fund for.
    You can even speak to your tutor or staff that supports students to talk about how you are feeling. Or speak to your doctor, family anyone you trust about how you feel

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry you are feeling anxious. If you don't start to feel better, do seek some help from your GP, or perhaps from a Uni counselling service. Practically, it is of concern that you are losing weight. Have you set a budget for yourself, so that you have a target amount to spend on food each week? Just wonder if that might help a little.

Have you told your family, or someone you think might understand anxiety, how you are feeling? I am guessing this isn't really about money, it's how your anxiety is manifesting itself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.