Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have loads of friends, in real life and online. I don't need a thread like this, so don't worry about me, as I have tons.

But even though I've got a lot of friends, how would you recommend someone with none get some?

Because I know someone who has none and I want to help him out because I'm really helpful, which is probably why I have lots of friends in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Invite him out with your friends? That's one of the best ways to meet people. Does he have a job?

ReputationRep:
    No, he goes to uni. I would, but I don't want people thinking that I hang out with someone with no friends. It's not up to me really, though, I want to hang out with him, but my friends will give me aggro over it, so you know, peer pressure and all that.

ReputationRep:
    I second what JFB said, I know people from like school plus a youth development course I did helped me meet a few people although I still don't go out much as I seem to be free more often than them plus seem more enthusiastic. Also I know a few people from work & this guy who I met at a social club. Confidence is really important here, you have to talk to people & put yourself out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damoni)
    No, he goes to uni. I would, but I don't want people thinking that I hang out with someone with no friends. It's not up to me really, though, I want to hang out with him, but my friends will give me aggro over it, so you know, peer pressure and all that.
    Surely if you're as helpful and kind as you claim to be helping this guy should be more important than what your friends think of you? People in that situation feel like absolute s***, they don't need fake people pretending to help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bronwencerimarsh)
    Surely if you're as helpful and kind as you claim to be helping this guy should be more important than what your friends think of you? People in that situation feel like absolute s***, they don't need fake people pretending to help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, don't worry, I really am very helpful and kind, it actually isn't because my friends think, it's because I think he needs to find his own friends in the world, me and my friends would be fine with him hanging around us, but y'know sometimes you need to do things by yourself perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    No, don't worry, I really am very helpful and kind, it actually isn't because my friends think, it's because I think he needs to find his own friends in the world, me and my friends would be fine with him hanging around us, but y'know sometimes you need to do things by yourself perhaps.
    Yeah, he should find friends in his own time. But sometimes it can be exceptionally difficult to gain an entire new group of friends from nothing. Being in this situation and then being invited to do something social is the best thing that can happen to a person in that situation. It gives them confidence to participate more and makes them believe that someone actually cares about them. Friendships don't just instantly happen. People need help. Like you said, people might think it's weird inviting someone that doesn't have any friends. Imagine how much harder it would be to make friends if they didn't have a single person that could potentially ask them to hang out. That's near impossible. Maybe you should try actually being helpful rather than pretending to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, he should find friends in his own time. But sometimes it can be exceptionally difficult to gain an entire new group of friends from nothing. Being in this situation and then being invited to do something social is the best thing that can happen to a person in that situation. It gives them confidence to participate more and makes them believe that someone actually cares about them. Friendships don't just instantly happen. People need help. Like you said, people might think it's weird inviting someone that doesn't have any friends. Imagine how much harder it would be to make friends if they didn't have a single person that could potentially ask them to hang out. That's near impossible. Maybe you should try actually being helpful rather than pretending to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's been a misunderstanding, when I say my friends and I don't hang out with him, I actually meant at first we didn't, but now we actually hang out with him all the time, because I actually am caring. I said to my mates, 'no, I'm putting my foot down, I want to hang out with him as well, and if you don't like it, you can go'. The problem is, he hangs out with us too much, I mean to say how do we get him other friends because he's bored with us, that's what I meant. Not that I didn't want him around. I was just about to say just now in fact, but I lost connection.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Speaking to people is always a good start. If this friend of yours is at university then he should probably join a society or two and get involved. IT's pretty hard NOT to make friends in societies as there's almost always a very wide range of people at them, and often you'll share an interest already.

ReputationRep:
    "My friend" advice huh? ;] Is it really for your friend? :P

ReputationRep:
    There's been a misunderstanding, when I say my friends and I don't hang out with him, I actually meant at first we didn't, but now we actually hang out with him all the time, because I actually am caring. I said to my mates, 'no, I'm putting my foot down, I want to hang out with him as well, and if you don't like it, you can go'. The problem is, he hangs out with us too much, I mean to say how do we get him other friends because he's bored with us, that's what I meant. Not that I didn't want him around. I was just about to say just now in fact, but I lost connection.
    Well that's all lies because in a previous post you said that you didn't want to hang out with him because all your friends would give you 'aggro over it'. Why don't you maybe stick to the thread that you made a few days ago? I know plenty of people that would be happy with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAmanze)
    "My friend" advice huh? ;] Is it really for your friend? :P
    Well, yeah, it is actually, it wouldn't be for a guy that has almost a thousand friends on facebook , now would it?
    Well that's all lies because in a previous post you said that you didn't want to hang out with him because all your friends would give you 'aggro over it'. Why don't you maybe stick to the thread that you made a few days ago? I know plenty of people that would be happy with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, no, I lost my internet connection before I could explain in further detail, I wouldn't do something like that, most people do see me as a very caring and lovely person because I am. You should've let me explain, but no, you jumped to conclusions.

ReputationRep:
    Well, yeah, it is actually, it wouldn't be for a guy that has almost a thousand friends on facebook , now would it?

No, no, I lost my internet connection before I could explain in further detail, I wouldn't do something like that, most people do see me as a very caring and lovely person because I am. You should've let me explain, but no, you jumped to conclusions.
    I didn't jump to conclusions. Your story was unbelievably patchy and I've met so many people like you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    guys, it's time to confess

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3099005

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.