Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...018079.article

Many universities ‘failing to address public health needs of world’s poor’
    The ranking takes into account each university’s level of investment in global health and neglected disease research, any measures in place to share discoveries with the developing world and the extent to which their research is freely available online.

The University of Oxford came out top of the table, followed by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and Imperial College London. Just seven of the institutions have made commitments to make their discoveries accessible in developing countries, the report finds.
    This issue combines two bug-bear of mine - global health and freedom of information - so I thought i'd share

The difference you can make by making a small contribution to treating neglected diseases like malaria is huge. Public health and public health research is so far ahead as the most effective mode of charity that i would say this table is essentially just showing which universities have the most impact on the world. Period. All else is insignificant.

And yet even these publicly funded bodies are apparently failing to do their part, slotting in alongside all the other hundreds of pharma companies focusing on the more profitable areas like cancer, diabetes or even, with an amazing frequency, sport science

Then when they do publish an article, its all about getting it into Nature or whatever so that everything is behind an inaccessible paywall. Good for your career, not good for actually achieving anything.

I'm just going to encourage people to be aware of the relative impact your actions. When making a charity donation, attending a lecture, choosing where you publish your paper or who knows, even choosing your career, remember where the real difference is made.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.