Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this should go here but

I'm a non-EU citizen but know that I want to study in London if I can't get into a medical school in HK. So I wanted to ask the pros/cons of the University of London colleges in regards to medicine and admission difficulty?
    I'd like to know about KCL, UCL, ICL, Queen Mary or your suggestions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CYsuxx)

I'm a non-EU citizen but know that I want to study in London if I can't get into a medical school in HK. So I wanted to ask the pros/cons of the University of London colleges in regards to medicine and admission difficulty?
    You get to apply to four medical schools in an application, so you could apply to all four of those. They'll each have different emphases as to what they look at when you apply, and they may have subtly (or less subtly) different teaching styles in the form of lots of lectures vs. more PBL (problem-based learning).

ReputationRep:

There is also St. George's University of London.

ReputationRep:
    I thought ICL wasn't part of university of London anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantToBeThere)
    I thought ICL wasn't part of university of London anymore.
    It isn't but given OP, and many others in fact, often do not include SGUL I imagine their primary goal is central London as opposed to a University of London. That is to say, they are focused on the location more so than the institution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    You get to apply to four medical schools in an application, so you could apply to all four of those. They'll each have different emphases as to what they look at when you apply, and they may have subtly (or less subtly) different teaching styles in the form of lots of lectures vs. more PBL (problem-based learning).
    Thank You! I do imagine I'd apply to two/three only though, as my school would advise a safety option given the competitiveness of those institutions, and I completely agree with that.

I'll read up on them and hopefully visit them this summer!

ReputationRep:
    And yes, I don't really mind if they're a part of UoL anymore, I guess I should've worded the OP better.

ReputationRep:
    Thank You! I do imagine I'd apply to two/three only though, as my school would advise a safety option given the competitiveness of those institutions, and I completely agree with that.

I'll read up on them and hopefully visit them this summer!
    I'm not sure I'd assume competition is any higher/it's any harder to get in to any of the London med schools than elsewhere without some kind of evidence. You might need to look at statistics specifically pertaining to success rates of international applicants.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.