Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right now I've only done C12 so i still have a choice of what to choose between S1, M1 or D1.

I heard that D1 makes life easier in uni and I'm doing physics a level so i think that M1 will cross path with physics mechanics but I also think S1 is important and I can't decide...
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I am studying Maths at University and I have a computer-programming-y module and it's quite similar to D1 so my first thought would be D1.

You're right in saying that doing M1 will cross paths with Physics so if you're good at that it should make M1 a bit easier, hence you get a better grade.

I can't think of why S1 would be as important as the other ones.

I'd choose D1. If you want to be really thorough I'd recommend comparing the course content at the uni's you want to study and comparing them to the D1 syllabus. If there's a lot of overlap, great. Otherwise, I think all three units are ok enough to learn quickly when you need to, and I doubt they'd assume any prior knowledge of anything unless they've specified that already.

ReputationRep:
    Probably S1, stats is pretty important to CS. Also, D1 is (apparently) very easy and quick to self teach so could be done at a later date. I hated S1 but it's been really useful to me in physics (coursework) and it's knowledge that I think everyone should really have. Whereas with D1 they'll almost certainly teach you the material during the degree.

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing physics and maths anyway then M1 won't feel very hard at all. Possibly to the point of not really being worth it (if you're good at maths and physics already, otherwise take it to back them up).

S1 doesn't really feel relevant. And while stats probably is good for a CS degree, S1 doesn't cover much that's really that interesting. I haven't done D1 so I have no idea as to how hard/useful that is.

ReputationRep:
    I've done D1,D2,M1 and S1 and ended up taking up about half my CS personal statement talking about Decision and got all the offers I wanted so I guess the unis find it useful (Bath even say its desirable for applicants to take Decision modules). I really enjoyed the Decision modules and I found D2 to be a lot better than D1 as it seemed more real-world relevant. You study algorithms, networks and often question are based on optimisation. This will surely help for a degree in CS as when you start covering these in your degree you will have met many of them before. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Also I found mechanics quite easy (as you do physics too it will definitely help) and I found S1 really boring.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for all the replies!

Now I'm thinking of doing M1 and D1!! what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thavmasto)
    Thank you so much for all the replies!

Now I'm thinking of doing M1 and D1!! what do you think?
    Good choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thavmasto)
    Right now I've only done C12 so i still have a choice of what to choose between S1, M1 or D1.

I heard that D1 makes life easier in uni and I'm doing physics a level so i think that M1 will cross path with physics mechanics but I also think S1 is important and I can't decide...
    D1 > S1 > M1 in terms of usefulness but it don't matter too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    D1

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.