Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First, which would be the best 'platform' to start on?
    I already have tumblr, but I tend to keep that private I only 'reblog' photos and quotes I feel I can relate to
    I'd like something that has a cool to use app, I'm into bring able to change all I have from the click of a button whatever device I'm using (I found out about TSR yesterday and I downloaded the app to my iPad and phone after about 5 minutes)

Second, what would be decent to blog about, or how should I structure what I produce?
    I have a few write-about-able interests, be it my sports and coaching, my motorbiking, my interest in outdoors and cool countryside places
    I think it could be cool to base my blog around the loose topic of uni, how everything I do could tie in to uni in one way or another - sound a good idea?
    Structure. Would it be better to keep it all written, or heavily image orientated? I'm thinking probably include quite a lot of photos so I don't bore myself as much as anything

Third, audience.
    Are there actually people that follow blogs properly, do you have a blog or two that you follow?
    I'd like the stuff I do to be seen, I already mentioned my tumblr which is something I keep more private I'd see this as the opposite to that, I want people to be able to see, comment, discuss etc

Fourth, simple question.
    Am I putting way too much thought into this?

Russ

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RussMack)
    First, which would be the best 'platform' to start on?
    I already have tumblr, but I tend to keep that private I only 'reblog' photos and quotes I feel I can relate to
    I'd like something that has a cool to use app, I'm into bring able to change all I have from the click of a button whatever device I'm using (I found out about TSR yesterday and I downloaded the app to my iPad and phone after about 5 minutes)

Second, what would be decent to blog about, or how should I structure what I produce?
    I have a few write-about-able interests, be it my sports and coaching, my motorbiking, my interest in outdoors and cool countryside places
    I think it could be cool to base my blog around the loose topic of uni, how everything I do could tie in to uni in one way or another - sound a good idea?
    Structure. Would it be better to keep it all written, or heavily image orientated? I'm thinking probably include quite a lot of photos so I don't bore myself as much as anything

Third, audience.
    Are there actually people that follow blogs properly, do you have a blog or two that you follow?
    I'd like the stuff I do to be seen, I already mentioned my tumblr which is something I keep more private I'd see this as the opposite to that, I want people to be able to see, comment, discuss etc

Fourth, simple question.
    Am I putting way too much thought into this?

Russ

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Russ,

Ive been running a blog for a number of years now here and I think I could be of some help to you. My first question to you is what are your goals for starting a blog? If you want a blog as an extra hobby, to practice writing, or just generally to build a following/audience, then you may not need any extra features beyond the basics.

1) Wordpress

Wordpress has a tremendous amount of flexibility for bloggers, due to the amount of features you can install on your website via plugins - so for example, you can have social share buttons (Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin etc).

Also it's not as difficult as it may sounds to make your blog/website look as nice as possible. Wordpress does offer thousands of free themes to use on your website, however if you want your website to look different compared to every other standard blog out there, then you may want to invest in a premium theme instead.

As a matter of fact, I have a number of premium themes which I have paid for over the years which I have stopped using since I decided to code my website myself. If you want me to give these to you, just PM me. I don't mind. They're in .zip format and if you're using wordpress (self-hosted) then you'll just upload it and start adding your content.

2) Structure

You can write about whatever you want to tbh! I would recommend you sort it into categories however though. So you can have 'Uni experiences and Advice', 'Sports', 'Motorbikes' or maybe set the motorbikes as a sub-category for your sports category.

If you want it to mainly be an image blog, that's fine as well, its up to you.

3) Yes, blogs can get a huge following if you build relationships with other people in your niche or at least do some keyword research to identify what your target audience is searching for in Google

I currently follow Dalepartridge.com, paidtoexist.com, copyblogger.com, quicksprout.com - they're mainly business/work blogs, but they have amassed a large following.

My blog posts don't tend to get many comments, but they get shared like wildfire however and I think people prefer to comment on my Youtube videos rather than my blog posts.

Here's my most popular post

4) You're probably not putting enough thought into it haha

Can PM me if you need any assistance.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.