Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it bad that I want to study nursing as a result of me not being successful with getting into medical school? I was thinking about which jobs are the most similar to being a doctor and I think nursing is quite similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1lastchance)
    Is it bad that I want to study nursing as a result of me not being successful with getting into medical school? I was thinking about which jobs are the most similar to being a doctor and I think nursing is quite similar.
    It depends on what your reasons are. Do you think you would enjoy nursing in its own right? It's a competitive course and the career is demanding, so you shouldn't go into it halfheartedly. Have you had any work experience to give you a taste of what nursing is like? Which branch of nursing would you go for? In your position I'd probably take a year out to do a relevant job (healthcare assistant or something similar) in order to clarify things. If you think that you'd be happy as nurse, then you could apply for nursing; and if you prefer the look of medicine, then you could reapply for medical school. Lots of people don't get in on their first application, after all. There's nothing wrong with having a backup plan, just do your research and make sure it's a plan you like for its own sake.

ReputationRep:
    Try again . Both jobs are very different and if the reasons for you doing medicine were passionate enough you wouldn't do nursing.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Nursing is not an easy degree, especially if your heart isn't in it. Plus its not a good degree to do if your plan is to get into GEM at the end of it.

You need to look at whether you actually want to nurse (and would be happy doing it once you've finished your degree) or if you're simply wanting to use it as a stepping stone to GEM.

If you get the grades this year then take a gap year and reapply. It really is the simplest option.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think it's a good idea to do nursing just because you didn't get into medicine. It's hard enough getting through nursing when it's what you want to do.

Reapply for medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I’d love to just reapply again for Medicine, but unfortunately I don’t have the required grades. I was mentally unwell while taking my A levels so I’m wonder if I could apply under extenuating circumstances?

ReputationRep:
    Why aren't you retaking your A levels this year if you felt you underperformed? Several of my friends at med school got in after resitting a couple of their A levels because they had underperformed first time round. Have they changed the system so you can only do them once or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taysidefrog)
    Why aren't you retaking your A levels this year if you felt you underperformed? Several of my friends at med school got in after resitting a couple of their A levels because they had underperformed first time round. Have they changed the system so you can only do them once or something?
    Yes - a good few med schools will simply not consider people who have spread their A-levels over three years in any sense. There seems to be a handful that don't mind too much, but no-one seems to know how likely it is that you'll get in to those, and the advice passed around on here is generally that it's pointless to retake in a gap year but there have been some that have done it and received offers. I believe there are specific conditions at some or all of these med schools that accept resits though - to do with having achieved no less than a B in the subjects to be retaken, and not retaking more than one subject, etc.

If the OP's grades really are rather bad then they'll have to investigate how their extenuating circumstances will come into play with individual med schools.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.