Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hej guys, so I asked my sociology professor and exchange program advisor to write me a reference letter.
    He was cool with it but he told me that he wasn t really used to do so. He asked me to check whether is well done or not and if I happy with it. I am not sure what to answer as I ve never seen one other reference letter, besides it should be confidential between him and the universities, so I felt kinda uncomfortable with it.

It s 2345 characters and underlines my exchange program results, social and academic skills and my professor's personal point of view obviously.

What should a great reference letter contain?

Hope it is the right session, though i m not sure about it
    thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If this is for a UCAS application, the limits are 4000 characters or 47 lines maximum. So yours is roughly half the maximum length and is therefore quite short

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No it is a Master application, so it is not through UCAS, my referee will have to send it directly to the university postgraduate admission e-mail. Usually the reference letter should be as you stated above, around 4000 characters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NicolaUmea)
    No it is a Master application, so it is not through UCAS, my referee will have to send it directly to the university postgraduate admission e-mail. Usually the reference letter should be as you stated above, around 4000 characters?
    The 4000 characters is a limit imposed by UCAS on undergraduate admissions references. However, sometimes references are shorter, when there is not all that much to say about a candidate, and having a shorter reference isn't always a bad thing. Often, referees have to discuss complicated extenuating circumstances in the reference and need space to do this.

Can you think of anything specific you would like your referee to add to the reference? Or any areas you think could be expanded on?

I've also moved your thread to the postgraduate forum, as I think you'll get more useful advice here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    The 4000 characters is a limit imposed by UCAS on undergraduate admissions references. However, sometimes references are shorter, when there is not all that much to say about a candidate, and having a shorter reference isn't always a bad thing. Often, referees have to discuss complicated extenuating circumstances in the reference and need space to do this.

Can you think of anything specific you would like your referee to add to the reference? Or any areas you think could be expanded on?

I've also moved your thread to the postgraduate forum, as I think you'll get more useful advice here.
    I see what you are saying. I think it is an overall good letter but it doesn t focus on any aspect in particular, it describes generally what my exchange professors told him and what I told him after I came back. So it covers almost everything of my exchange and my personal being. Also I do not know what I d like him to say because frankly he can t say much more, I think. He ould talk about my marks more specifically, but for that there s the transcript, no?

Also other professors turned me down because they didn t feel like. One told me that, yeah my marks were great and he could write me a letter based on my mark in his subject which was A* and my work but nothing more cause he didn t know me enough...I mean how can you know me if I m in a class of 300+ people jesus! I m so pissed at italian professors, cause they don t give much damns.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NicolaUmea)
    I see what you are saying. I think it is an overall good letter but it doesn t focus on any aspect in particular, it describes generally what my exchange professors told him and what I told him after I came back. So it covers almost everything of my exchange and my personal being. Also I do not know what I d like him to say because frankly he can t say much more, I think. He ould talk about my marks more specifically, but for that there s the transcript, no?

Also other professors turned me down because they didn t feel like. One told me that, yeah my marks were great and he could write me a letter based on my mark in his subject which was A* and my work but nothing more cause he didn t know me enough...I mean how can you know me if I m in a class of 300+ people jesus! I m so pissed at italian professors, cause they don t give much damns.

thanks
    If you're in a large class it can be very hard for professors to get to know you well, but it seems like your referee has used information from other people who do know you well, which is cool.

The unis you're applying to will be aware that not all professors know their students well- they may well be aware as to how the Italian system differs from the UK one, and know that Italian professors often don't know their students that well.

One thing he could perhaps do is talk about how your marks compare to other students on the course, if your transcript doesn't explain this- It doesn't have to be specific but a statement like "Nicola was in the top 10% of students" might be useful.

ReputationRep:
    OK, I will ask him to compare my marks with to the other students'. Guess that s all I could ask him.

Thnaks for the suggestion!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.