Why can't evolution occur in 5-50,000 years? Why millions

Watch
Tawheed
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
question specifies, any thoughts?
A5ko
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
It takes as long as it takes.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Evolution is constantly occurring. The amount of years isn't as important as the number of generations.
redferry
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Evolution can happen in a lab so it doesn't exactly take millions of years. Just look at antibiotic resistance, pretty recent phenomenon and the result of evolution.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by redferry)
Evolution can happen in a lab so it doesn't exactly take millions of years. Just look at antibiotic resistance, pretty recent phenomenon and the result of evolution.
People who deny evolution needn't take yearly flu jabs when they get old ^^ They got nothing to worry about.
temporary_user
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Because a set of genes needs to basically be wiped from the planet and be replaced by some others, so an entire animal population cycle must first go
Balloon Baboon
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Addapp)
This is not real. The earth was created in 7 days by our father, the Lord. Evolution does not exist. You have sinned against the Holy Spirit.

The who and the what?
Simes
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Addapp)
This is not real. The earth was created in 7 days by our father, the Lord. Evolution does not exist. You have sinned against the Holy Spirit.
6 days, troll.
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Simes)
6 days, troll.
I know right, everyone knows god sat down to have a cuppa and a couple of biscuits on the 7th day.
Simes
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SophieSmall)
I know right, everyone knows god sat down to have a cuppa and a couple of biscuits on the 7th day.
I always knew God was English.
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Simes)
I always knew God was English.
Of course he is! considering he's a miserable ******* who likes to make others life a misery to "test them". Sounds just like the British government, testing to see just how much they can push us.
Octohedral
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The short answer is that it does.

Evolution is a scale - species are evolving all the time. It took 4 billion years to go from single cells to humans, whereas types of fly can split into two different species in a matter of 100 generations (for a fly, not very long).

I know you're not reading my links, but you might find this one interesting:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/20425468
jaffacake111
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Evolution is a slow and gradual process (although admittedly some of it happens faster than we once thought). This is why it is hard for us to get our heads - which live for 80 odd years around it - best bet is to read a biology book. I recommend "The Ancestor's Tale" by Richard Dawkins, it's fascinating
Tawheed
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Octohedral)
The short answer is that it does.

Evolution is a scale - species are evolving all the time. It took 4 billion years to go from single cells to humans, whereas types of fly can split into two different species in a matter of 100 generations (for a fly, not very long).

I know you're not reading my links, but you might find this one interesting:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/20425468
Could you cite proof for this please?
xMr_BrightSide
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Micro scale evolutionary changes can happen in just a single mutation, but large scale changes require many generations and mutations, along with existential pressures, to manifest themselves in a species. Just look up an account online, there are plenty of helpful examples.

Also, here is a really useful cartoon giving a general overview;

http://darryl-cunningham.blogspot.co...evolution.html
username1494226
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Well its usually because evolution is largely driven by environmental changes over time that introduce selection pressures that weed out inferior forms, favouring those with genes that produce physical characteristics that help them survive in that environment to produce offspring in future. These kinds of changes take millions of years because it doesnt all happen in one go, its kind of a filtering effect when you think about it. Evolution is to put simply the most elegant and time dependent form of metamorphosis there is in organic, biologically active beings today.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (7)
11.29%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.61%
Finding the time to revise (6)
9.68%
Finding the motivation (13)
20.97%
Getting distracted (10)
16.13%
Procrastination (25)
40.32%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads