Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi People,

Dose any of you like fantasy genre? Such as books, films and TV programs?
    And if so what are they called?

Thanks
    Hanna
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    That's a broad question. Yes I like fantasy.

My favourite books are Tom Holt's Portable Door series. That's more modern comic fantasy (think Terry Pratchett, except IMO Holt is much better). The Stone and the Flute by Hans Bemmann is a lesser known fantasy epic which I personally think is worthy of a mention. Although I do like LOTR, The Stone and the Flute is an easier read - less dwarves songs that go on for 96 pages at a time!

As for films, Willow, LOTR, The Hobbit, Labyrinth, Legend and so on... all great

TV programmes again yep, I used to watch Legend of the Seeker which was a great fantasy series and it's just such a darned shame they canned it. There aren't too many high fantasy TV programmes around these days. I guess Once Upon a Time is fantasy...ish...but it's more fairy tales than fantasy. Still, it's good.
    I never really took to the Tenth Kingdom though for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    Tolkien, anything by him. Harry Potter, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Inheritance Cycle (Christopher Paolini), some stuff by Ursula Le Guin (Earth Sea series, and another one which I can't remember), there's two really good books perhaps by Alan Gibbons, but it's been years since I read them, but the first one is Rise of the Blood Moon. They're fairly excellent. Terry Pratchett discworld novels are pretty cool, especially The Wee Free Men ones, Garth Nix does two excellent sets such as the Keys to the Kingdom starting with Mister Monday, and his Abhorsen trilogy is great. I don't know if they classify as fantasy but Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series is brilliant. The Bartemaeus Trilogy is pretty good, as is the first 4 (I've not read the rest) of Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series. People do seem to love Game of Thrones, though I'm not sold, but probably should be mentioned. The Inkspell books by Cornelia Funke are really good too. The Dark is Rising is a good series. Alan Garner is another good fantasy author. The Left Hand of God was a good book, but I've not read the sequels. Bookwise there are many more fantasy books I've read over the years (it's my staple) but I can't remember alot of them and some just blur into one homogeneous mess of fantasy, and I can't remember them. But yeah there's a whole huge world of them, which you won't be able to find again if you don't write it down it would seem haha I used the library a lot... Oh one last one that I remember enjoying when I was younger: Charlie Bone and the subsequent series.

Films, again there are a huge amount, but the best are LotR.
    TV Shows I can only think of Game of Thrones.

ReputationRep:
    For me nothing beats Lord of the Rings and the earlier history ones like The Silmarillion.

ReputationRep:
    Naomi Novik and Diane Duane are both great fantasy authors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Naomi Novik and Diane Duane are both great fantasy authors.
    Any specific stuff by them or are they all fantastic? Just interested, and I've not come across these names before!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob Boris)
    Any specific stuff by them or are they all fantastic? Just interested, and I've not come across these names before!
    Naomi Novik hasn't written very much besides a series about a dragon named Temeraire. I'd start with the first book in the series, His Majesty's Dragon. It's a lot less corny than it sounds.

Diane Duane has written quite a lot. Her series Young Wizards is my favourite; the age of the intended audience increases as the series progresses, but they will make more sense if you read them in order, and the earlier ones are still cracking reads.

Susanna Clarke's book Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is also an amazing book. It's a bit of a paving slab, though, and I've been told it's easier to begin than to finish. Personally I had no trouble. Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    For me nothing beats Lord of the Rings and the earlier history ones like The Silmarillion.
    overrated

ReputationRep:
    I'm in love with Sleepy Hollow, the TV series.

ReputationRep:
    There are 2 fantasy universes that I would love to watch a film series about. Well, a really good one for that matter.

1. the Mortal Engines quartet: Mortal Engines, Predator's Gold, Infernal Devices, A Darkling Plain

2. His Dark Materials trilogy: Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass

I know that Northern Lights had a very poor film adaptation but I really want someone to redo it 5000 times better, and a star-studded cast is not needed, in fact I'd recommend NOT choosing people because of their fame.

But honestly if I had the time to draw the worlds I've imagined I would, there is so much detail and awesomeness and scale to put in here that I'm worried a film adaptation would miss. I'd be happy if it was spread across a few films! I just want to be overwhelmed by the detail while still get immersed by the story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Naomi Novik hasn't written very much besides a series about a dragon named Temeraire. I'd start with the first book in the series, His Majesty's Dragon. It's a lot less corny than it sounds.

Diane Duane has written quite a lot. Her series Young Wizards is my favourite; the age of the intended audience increases as the series progresses, but they will make more sense if you read them in order, and the earlier ones are still cracking reads.

Susanna Clarke's book Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is also an amazing book. It's a bit of a paving slab, though, and I've been told it's easier to begin than to finish. Personally I had no trouble. Have fun!
    Thanks, I'll add them to my ever growing list of books I want to read, but definitely near the top as I'm in the mood for fantasy once I've finished these exams

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.