rahuluniverse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm currently studying Greek during my lunchtimes, and I seriously need help with both the language and literature (verse)

I am really confused about the 10 mark questions :mad:
TheClassicsGeek
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I'm in the same position! I started Greek this september and i'm hoping to get the GCSE in the summer on 1h a week lessons, but I have a great teacher so I can help you out

Firstly which set texts are you doing? Assuming they're the same as mine (Herodotus the second fall of Babylon and Homer's Odyssey) I have a few pointers. For the 10 mark you need to be able to analyse the language in the passage and look for literary techniques (it's kind of the same idea as English only you're dealing with a different alphabet). I found these techniques on the OCR Website which may be helpful:

repetition words may be repeated at the
beginning or end of sentences or phrases that
either seek to amplify a point or to present an
antithesis, or opposite point of view.

anaphora this is one specific type of repetition
where a word or phrase is repeated at the
beginning of successive clauses, it is quite often
used in conjunction with the tricolon crescens (see below).

asyndeton
the omission of conjunctions from a

list is used to express anything forcefully, and the
items on the list are meant to be appear numerous
as a result; the list seems exhaustive

polysyndeton the use of numerous conjunctions in
a list produces a similar effect to asyndeton and is
designed to highlight the extent of the items being
covered.

pleonasm the use of copious words beyond
what is actually necessary to convey meaning.

antithesis the opposition of ideas designed to
highlight the conflict between two words or states
of affairs.

exclamation calling out to someone.

tricolon delivering ideas in threes; when
there is a sense that the second point is more
forceful, important or emphasised than the first,
and the third point more than the second, this is
known as a ‘tricolon crescens’ or ‘tricolon crescendo’.

polyptoton the use of a word several times
in quick succession with different inflections,
designed to draw attention to that item

tautology saying the same thing more than
once in order to leave the listener in no doubt as to
the point you are trying to make.

the rhetorical question used to drive home
a point very emphatically; questions require
answers, so put the questioned person ‘on the
spot’; in a rhetorical question, the answer would
be impossible, awkward or embarrassing for the
person being questioned.

You also need to make sure you comment on the effect that these techniques have on the reader. Aside from that just make sure for the literature papers that you know the text really well (i.e. you can identify which Greek word means what) and for the 8 mark question you basically just need to be familiar with the story and the characters.

The language papers are easy as long as you have learned the vocab lists which are on the OCR website and are familiar with all the grammar/syntax (again see OCR website). The text books that I use are Greek to GCSE Parts 1 and 2 by John Taylor- they're really good and completley tailored to the GCSE so you learn vocab and grammar naturally throughout the course.

Hope this helped- I'm sure you will be fine
Vicky E.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Γεια!!! Hi!! I am Greek, So if you need any help with the language feel free to ask!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Herodotapede
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did my Greek GCSE last year and got an A* after a fair bit of hard graft. After you can translate every word and understand its purpose in the passage start looking at devices such as repetition, alliteration and I seem to remember something like the word impaled left till the end of a long sentence to add emphasis to it so watch out for sentence structure and position of words. I was told that 5 or 6 developed points were needed to get 10/10 so approach the passage with an open mind and try to have a personal response to it.
With the language itself, make sure you have a solid vocab list including all the aorists and futures as they love to test you on the irregular ones such as οιδα and οραω aswell as ειμι which is sure to come up in multiple forms in your translation and comprehension. At GCSE with a full grasp of the vocab you can do very well with just an awareness of the various clauses and structures such as purpose or result clauses.
Greeki
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can you help me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (48)
24.49%
Less motivated (148)
75.51%

Watched Threads