Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I'm thinking of studying in the Netherlands because their University fees are much lower than UK universities. I looked at Leiden University and really liked their Psychology course. However, I've never really been to Holland before so I was wondering if anyone here could give me an idea of how it's like?

Student life, Dutch Culture, Accommodation, are there a lot of international students there?
    things like that

I'm really nervous about not fitting in!

There was this article online that said the Netherlands was one of the unfriendliest countries in the world (Don't mean to offend anyone). I usually don't take these articles seriously, but reading this added to my anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zainy_r)
    Hi,

So I'm thinking of studying in the Netherlands because their University fees are much lower than UK universities. I looked at Leiden University and really liked their Psychology course. However, I've never really been to Holland before so I was wondering if anyone here could give me an idea of how it's like?

Student life, Dutch Culture, Accommodation, are there a lot of international students there?
    things like that

There was this article online that said the Netherlands was one of the unfriendliest countries in the world (Don't mean to offend anyone). I usually don't take these articles seriously, but reading this added to my anxiety.
    I studied in Leiden until this year. The city is nice and cosy and most university buildings are in the city centre or close enough (in case of psychology). In terms of UK cities it is rather small.

Dutch people and especially students can speak English quite well, and it is very typical that the vast majority of them will refuse to speak in Dutch to you even if you are trying to learn the language. You have to bear in mind that the spoken language is always Dutch. Even on some English taught courses, most students are Dutch and speak Dutch to one another. At postgrad level English has a more prominent role in daily life. You might want to check out the ratio of Dutch and international students on your course just to be sure that it is not almost exclusively Dutch. Because most undergrad courses are taught in Dutch, you will not find many international undergrads outside your course.

I have never lived in Leiden, so I cannot help you with accommodation whatsoever. Student life in the Netherlands is rather distinct from most other places. Of course, most courses have a 'study association' that organises study-related and not study-related events. On top of that, there are 'student associations' that are only concerned with social events for people from all courses. There are also students sports teams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zefiros)
    I studied in Leiden until this year. The city is nice and cosy and most university buildings are in the city centre or close enough (in case of psychology). In terms of UK cities it is rather small.

Dutch people and especially students can speak English quite well, and it is very typical that the vast majority of them will refuse to speak in Dutch to you even if you are trying to learn the language. You have to bear in mind that the spoken language is always Dutch. Even on some English taught courses, most students are Dutch and speak Dutch to one another. At postgrad level English has a more prominent role in daily life. You might want to check out the ratio of Dutch and international students on your course just to be sure that it is not almost exclusively Dutch. Because most undergrad courses are taught in Dutch, you will not find many international undergrads outside your course.

I have never lived in Leiden, so I cannot help you with accommodation whatsoever. Student life in the Netherlands is rather distinct from most other places. Of course, most courses have a 'study association' that organises study-related and not study-related events. On top of that, there are 'student associations' that are only concerned with social events for people from all courses. There are also students sports teams.
    Thank you so much! This was very helpful
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by zainy_r)
    Hi,

things like that

Hi! Are you thinking about a master's or bachelor's course? If you are thinking of the bachelor's programme, you could contact the student ambassador for the programme to get the inside scoop: [email protected] .nl her name is Daniela. If it's the master's programme I can have one of my student assistants in touch with you if you like. Toby is from the UK and may be able to give you further insight.

Student life in Leiden is quite varied - there are loads of student pubs, clubs, groups, and study groups. Depending on your interests, you're likely to find what you're looking for. Housing is available to international students (non-Dutch) only, and for the bachelor's programme there are some reserved spots for the first students to apply. They all live together in the same area, not far from the Psychology building. If it is a master's you are considering, you can also apply for housing. It is always based on a first come first serve process. There are also lots of choices - there are no residence halls at Leiden University - there are apartments, shared houses, and they are located throughout the city. Most places are within a 5-10 minute bike ride from any campus building.

Leiden is a smaller town - about 120,000 people and very international. While Dutch is the first language spoken, there are many many other languages you will hear in this town due to the number of international students and expats who live, work and study here. It is easily accessible from the airports and major cities across Europe. Public transport is also easy - students travel around regularly to The Hague or Amsterdam or other places in Europe for road trip fun.

We have lots of international student services, and the International Student Network - a student club for social activities, road trips and general fun. There is also an Orientation Week Leiden for all international students so you will feel at home quickly.

Don't worry about "fitting in"- if you jump in and meet people during Orientation Week and in your programme, you'll find lots of new friends and things to do outside your study.

Carolyn Barr - Leiden University

ReputationRep:
    Hi has anyone else applied for the psychology bachelor's program ? I'm so nervous ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chairenerose)
    Hi has anyone else applied for the psychology bachelor's program ? I'm so nervous ...
    Hey I'm applying for the Psychology course this year for the 2016/17 academic year. Did you end up applying? How did it go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leiden University)
    Hi! Are you thinking about a master's or bachelor's course? If you are thinking of the bachelor's programme, you could contact the student ambassador for the programme to get the inside scoop: [email protected] .nl her name is Daniela. If it's the master's programme I can have one of my student assistants in touch with you if you like. Toby is from the UK and may be able to give you further insight.

Student life in Leiden is quite varied - there are loads of student pubs, clubs, groups, and study groups. Depending on your interests, you're likely to find what you're looking for. Housing is available to international students (non-Dutch) only, and for the bachelor's programme there are some reserved spots for the first students to apply. They all live together in the same area, not far from the Psychology building. If it is a master's you are considering, you can also apply for housing. It is always based on a first come first serve process. There are also lots of choices - there are no residence halls at Leiden University - there are apartments, shared houses, and they are located throughout the city. Most places are within a 5-10 minute bike ride from any campus building.

Leiden is a smaller town - about 120,000 people and very international. While Dutch is the first language spoken, there are many many other languages you will hear in this town due to the number of international students and expats who live, work and study here. It is easily accessible from the airports and major cities across Europe. Public transport is also easy - students travel around regularly to The Hague or Amsterdam or other places in Europe for road trip fun.

We have lots of international student services, and the International Student Network - a student club for social activities, road trips and general fun. There is also an Orientation Week Leiden for all international students so you will feel at home quickly.

Don't worry about "fitting in"- if you jump in and meet people during Orientation Week and in your programme, you'll find lots of new friends and things to do outside your study.

Carolyn Barr - Leiden University
    Hi, I am thinking about studying for a masters in International Relations? Could I speak to one of your student assistants? thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_999)
    Hi, I am thinking about studying for a masters in International Relations? Could I speak to one of your student assistants? thank you
    Hi, yes, I am a student assistant here at Leiden and you can contact me on [email protected] and I would be happy to talk with you about studying here!

Toby

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_999)
    Hi! I'm considering going to Leiden for that masters too. Have you decided on whether you're going or not? Are you an international student?

-Salma

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.