Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not exactly sure as to what I'm meant to post right now, so I'll just improvise ... Sort of ... Kind of ...

So, hello I'm LeFeuilly, a Y11 iGCSE student whom will be moving onto IB come-August. I'm currently doing the following for my iGCSEs:

- Spanish (predicted grade A)
    - History (predicted grade A* [no pressure ...])
    - Drama (predicted grade A)
    - Business Studies (predicted grade A)
    - English Language (I did this exam a year early and received an A*)
    - English Lit (predicted grade B)
    - Double Award Science (predicted grade B)
    - Mathematics (predicted grade B)
    - IT (predicted grade B)

I'm particularly keen on achieving A*s for both History and English Lit (and perhaps even Drama ...), and A's in everything else save for IT; in fact, I would be fine in achieving a B in Maths and Science too should it come to that, but I do know I can definitely achieve better grades if I really push myself and put effort into it, so that's one of my main goals from now until May and June.

One thing I do struggle with, however, is procrastination and time management - I don't really know where to start or how to "properly" revise; I do find that writing things out by hand (typing stuff out never worked for me tbh) helps me memorise things much easier than flashcards, for example, in regards to certain subjects save for the fact it is exceedingly time-consuming - are there any other methods which are vaguely similar to this that I could try or should I just stick to the tried-and-true method of writing out my own notes onto paper?

Thanks for reading (If you've actually taken the time to fully read this massive hunk of a post)
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by LeFeuilly)
    I'm not exactly sure as to what I'm meant to post right now, so I'll just improvise ... Sort of ... Kind of ...

So, hello I'm LeFeuilly, a Y11 iGCSE student whom will be moving onto IB come-August. I'm currently doing the following for my iGCSEs:

- Spanish (predicted grade A)
    - History (predicted grade A* [no pressure ...])
    - Drama (predicted grade A)
    - Business Studies (predicted grade A)
    - English Language (I did this exam a year early and received an A*)
    - English Lit (predicted grade B)
    - Double Award Science (predicted grade B)
    - Mathematics (predicted grade B)
    - IT (predicted grade B)

I'm particularly keen on achieving A*s for both History and English Lit (and perhaps even Drama ...), and A's in everything else save for IT; in fact, I would be fine in achieving a B in Maths and Science too should it come to that, but I do know I can definitely achieve better grades if I really push myself and put effort into it, so that's one of my main goals from now until May and June.

One thing I do struggle with, however, is procrastination and time management - I don't really know where to start or how to "properly" revise; I do find that writing things out by hand (typing stuff out never worked for me tbh) helps me memorise things much easier than flashcards, for example, in regards to certain subjects save for the fact it is exceedingly time-consuming - are there any other methods which are vaguely similar to this that I could try or should I just stick to the tried-and-true method of writing out my own notes onto paper?

Thanks for reading (If you've actually taken the time to fully read this massive hunk of a post)
    Heya! Whilst Puddles verifies your grades, I thought I'd pop on by to see your blog, which is looking awesome!

I love your goals, and I wish you the best of luck with achieving them! The Study Help team is here to help you with any problems you may have, or help you may need, so don't hesitate to ask, and you can also discuss things with others in the discussion thread!

I look forward to following your blog over the coming months, and again, wish you the best of luck!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    This post is to confirm that LeFeuilly's grades have been verified!

• Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Hi, great plans :woo:

For revision, I sometimes write little facts etc on post it notes and stick them around my room, where I'll always see them so will gradually get familiar with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    Hi, great plans :woo:

For revision, I sometimes write little facts etc on post it notes and stick them around my room, where I'll always see them so will gradually get familiar with them
    That's a wonderful idea, thank you ^_^
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    That's a wonderful idea, thank you ^_^
    Let me know if you need any help with anything I'll be keeping watch over your blog to see how you're getting on

ReputationRep:
    (The following post is very pretentious, with writing cliches such as rhetoric, similes and metaphors in it but I cannot really "English" today; I'm trying to flex them writing muscles [albeit badly] as a result :P)

Today is Friday the 23rd of January, and it's currently 11:45 PM (ish).

My mocks - two weeks worth of Shinji, Stresseman (no pun intended) and homeostasis (among other things) finished yesterday.

I know I should do something productive, but my god am I so tired.

History, in particular, is something I feel that I need to definitely work on as I feel disappointed in myself for not diong as well as I would have wished; it's the one subject that I have set my eyes upon for uni and have constantly achieved A*s in this school year. The catastrophic failure of my WW1 and Germany paper, however, scares me just a teeny bit (fine, maybe a lot).

And, as I sit here writing this with the sound of Jonathan Groff tap dancing the eponymous song from Anything Goes open in another tab with a thin slice of freshly-baked chocolate cake, the thought of my exams being t-minus four months away (save for Drama practicals and English & Spanish orals) pulsates vividly in my mind, and it feels as though my whole life is leading up to them as if it were a matter of life or death.

A while ago, I was told warnings of: "if you fail your exams, you'll definitely end up on the streets!" by adults (fortunately not my parents - I don't know what I would do if they said this) upon them hearing that I was struggling with revision as if it was their way of motivating me to do work. To be honest, said phrase has stuck with me since then, and now it repeats and repeats whenever I do something that isn't "productive", ringing loud and clear until it is the only thing I can see: the failure and disappointment that I can see in my eyes and those of my society's should I not pass. It is at that point I roll my eyes and grab my textbook instead of a great paperback that sits nearby on my bookshelf.

As a result, it can most definitely be connoted that the very sentence itself will act as a motivator for some people, but the fact that people have to resort to "bullying" children and teenagers into doing work veiled threats is both parts embarrassing and disturbing in general.

My question - I guess - is what motivates you to work? Like, what tactics do you use to stop yourself from procrastinating?

And after writing this post, know that I am finally willing myself to stop listening to that irritating sentence in the back of my mind and, instead, will be pulling out The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared in the place of a textbook.

Because lets be honest, few people are willing to do more work after they've completed two weeks worth of examinations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    Let me know if you need any help with anything I'll be keeping watch over your blog to see how you're getting on
    Alright! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    To stop procrastinating you need to make a revision time table, you can apps for this or do it by hand. Then each day you should complete the scheduled revision before you do anything fun, such as watching TV .

I find that this really work well for me

ReputationRep:
    It's Monday the 26th, and mock results have begun to trickle in.

One disappointment today - I was awarded a "B" for Spanish despite my overall component scores of A's in listening and speaking (with my speaking score one percent off of an A*) and B's in reading and writing (with a mark off of an A in reading much like my speaking). However, much of my reading paper was marked incorrectly so I'm hoping that I'll be able to grab a couple of marks off of it **crosses fingers**.

B's were also dished out in maths, with me missing out an A by two percent (dammit!) though the fact I scored an A in my first maths paper (and a B in my second one) made it more gratifying; it's definitely going to motivate me to further improve my maths scores - it's now definitely possible for me to get straight A's for this

And, on the subject of exams, my school has now started an official countdown in our library detailing the number of days the Y11s and Y13s have left before our exam leaves (54 and 53, respectively), again sending reality checks to my friends and I as we blubber into incoherent murmurings in a large puddle of our tears T_T

My study plans today, therefore, are to:
    - Finish my IT storyboard for my coursework. I would rather get that out of the way and focus on my World Lit orals next Wednesday.
    - Start preparing various quotes and the-like in regards to my oral by skimming through Sound of Waves again and making notes on all important events that relate to the overall question I will be answering
    - Business homework. Maybe tomorrow but preferably tonight as, again, I want to get it out of the way (LEAN PRODUCTION AWWW YEAH [not really])
    - If I have time, Duolinguo is amazing, especially in regards to vocab for Spanish. As you may or may not be able to tell, I'm incredibly frustrated at my mock result as I know I could probably do so much better and put a whole load more effort into a subject that I thoroughly enjoy; an A is so, so, so, so close ...

ReputationRep:
    History results today

WWI - 21/25
    Germany - 18/25
    China - 23/25

Overall, that gives me an A* which is the exact grade I'm wishing to achieve in my final exams this year ^_^ Of course, I'm overjoyed (who wouldn't be?) but this means that the pressure on my shoulders will build up, especially since this is the second year in which my Germany paper was less than perfect despite the fact that out of all of the various units I have studied over the past two years in History, this was my favourite :/

Past papers, too, will also be a really good revision source in regards to the fact that it allows me to get used to the whole structure of each paper (as they all differ slightly) as well as practice both my essay writing and time management skills; we're expected to write one paper within the timeframe of 45 minutes - something that is also part of IB History - and I'm afraid that when I'm under said timed conditions, I won't be as able to fully write out a developed and sustained argument to maximise the marks I gain.

Either way, there's now only 54 more days before I go on my study leave!

ReputationRep:
    And as my mock results continue to trickle in, a few things become evident:

1. Oh my goodness do I need to revise more thoroughly in regards to science; my highest mark this time around was 64/90, with past papers probably overwhelming me in the next couple of months.

2. STOP PROCRASTINATING, GIRLIE. You aren't going to achieve anything if you set aside work for later.

3. IT coursework is due in soon, and you definitely need to work on that blasted weather forecast that you so eloquently ruined less you wish to fail. Really.

And so my path continues, this time with only 50 days left! Consequently, I am definitely going to start using those motivation techniques learnt in Business Studies to actually haul myself out of this trance of me being able to accomplish whatever must be done within the space of a couple of months.

Alongside this, I will definitely need to start planning out my revision timetable in accordance to spending one day on a single subject - this was more efficient than the routine I had initially decided upon following: one hour per subject; procrastination was mostly to blame, but I'm going to definitely try to adhere to my study plan this time around.

I still remain optimistic!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hey, how's tricks? How have things been going for you in the past couple of weeks or so?

Have you managed to get a revision timetable together yet?

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Hey, how's tricks? How have things been going for you in the past couple of weeks or so?

Have you managed to get a revision timetable together yet?

:woo:
    Things have actually been going pretty well; I've started to re-read and make notes for each of my subjects, though most of my attention has been diverted to drama (my performance is in a month's time), so I haven't finished my revision timetable yet :P

Drama, I guess, is going well - we've got a basic structure in regards as to what we need to do and our script is nearly complete - it's just missing something, though I'm sure it will come together in due time.

However, GOOD NEWS HAS GRACED US ALL - my English mock grade (which combines our coursework and exam grades) came up to an A*, something I'm immensely proud of despite the fact I definitely need more practice in terms of working under timed conditions; past papers are the way to go.

And, on a side note, I haven't been on TSR in ages haha ... I better start updating this blog ...

ReputationRep:
    Things have actually been going pretty well; I've started to re-read and make notes for each of my subjects, though most of my attention has been diverted to drama (my performance is in a month's time), so I haven't finished my revision timetable yet :P

Drama, I guess, is going well - we've got a basic structure in regards as to what we need to do and our script is nearly complete - it's just missing something, though I'm sure it will come together in due time.

However, GOOD NEWS HAS GRACED US ALL - my English mock grade (which combines our coursework and exam grades) came up to an A*, something I'm immensely proud of despite the fact I definitely need more practice in terms of working under timed conditions; past papers are the way to go.

And, on a side note, I haven't been on TSR in ages haha ... I better start updating this blog ...
    How long do you think it will take you to finish your notes for all your subjects? When will you start revision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taylortron99)
    How long do you think it will take you to finish your notes for all your subjects? When will you start revision?
    Hopefully, it will take me two to three months to finish my notes, so I'm planning on starting my revision some time next week and figuring out a plan then.

Time to not procrastinate!

ReputationRep:
    ... And, as I've received all of my mock results, here are my current grades:

- Spanish: B
    - History: A*
    - Drama: A
    - Business Studies: B
    - English Lit: A*
    - Double Award Science: AA/AB (parents evening tonight revealed I actually got an A in Science instead of a B - I'm chuffed ^-^)
    - Mathematics: B

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team

That's great to hear :bl:

COngratulations on your A* - that's awesome! :headbang: You must be mega chuffed. Definitely practice lots of past papers, and time yourself too - that way you'll be used to the exam conditions when the time comes :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    That's great to hear :bl:

COngratulations on your A* - that's awesome! :headbang: You must be mega chuffed. Definitely practice lots of past papers, and time yourself too - that way you'll be used to the exam conditions when the time comes :woo:
    Yep - will do, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Welp.

Another sporadic update from moi, I suppose.

As of today, I've been incredibly busy trying to tie up any and all loose ends for my drama exam on Thursday, something that totally does not terrify me in any way, shape or form whatsoever (not really).

On the other hand, there's revision that needs to be done; for me, that's making notes as well as compiling and compressing everything down into (hopefully) bullet point form. Alongside this, past papers shall be done! I'm currently doing these in maths, business and history, with a past paper on Nazi Germany to be done in timed conditions on Tuesday for the latter.

As for the future, I'm planning on making a couple of powerpoints and/or spider diagrams based around the information I need to remember for my exams to aide the notes I've made in my subjects; it hopefully shouldn't take too long ...

19 more days until study leave now!

Submit reply
Updated: April 19, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.