Do not have anyone to be a guarantor for my student accommodation, what do i do? Watch

SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Josb)
Thanks, that make sense.
I just hope that I won't be considered as a 18yo brat blowing daddy's money/student loan on booze if I have a scholarship for a PhD at a prestigious university.
It's not about how responsible they consider you as such. The letting agent/landlord won't be making a value judgement on you. They will probably do a credit check. If you have a poor/no credit history, or your income is too low, they will ask for a guarantor. It's perfectly normal for working adults to be asked for guarantors by landlords if their income is too low or if, for some other reason, the landlord is worried about their ability to pay.

If you want to avoid this, then offer to pay 6 months rent up front.

Also, please do consider the tone of your posts, there's no need to be deliberately provocative towards other posters.
Tearex
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Exactly as everyone else has said - you have to pay a significant amount upfront. You can get round this by being a lodger/renting from live in landlords as often they are much more flexible/short term - I wasn’t able to live with my friends for this reason. Unfortunately as others have said they are ensuring themselves an income for the year and should you leave Uni or fall sick and take a break they want to make sure there is someone else to pay for the remainder.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
This thread is 4 years old.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?