?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
[Deleted Post]
hopefulecon12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The lack of Further Maths will seriously reduce your chances of getting into Cambridge Straight Econ. The majority of successful Oxford E and M applicants will also probably have further maths but you are much better off applying for the latter even though its ridiculously more competitive than cambridge econ. cambridge once came into our school and did a talk...the guy said 'when we get your Personal statement we through it into the bin'. So no they dont really care about all the extra stuff but other universities certainly do so its a good thing to have.
groovyd97
Badges: 14
Report 6 years ago
Oxford do not care about further maths. The E&M course is ridiculously competitive and admission is based on your TSA score and interview more than anything else.

Cambridge do, but if you are doing AS further maths in year 13 that would be more than enough. Many people get offers like this. One thing you do want to do is make sure you get the highest UMS in AS Maths as possible to show that you are a capable mathematician.

Your GCSEs are obviously very good so would help you for any uni application, although Cambridge don't care about them that much.

Oxbridge don't particularly care about EC activities but they would be good to do to help with other uni applications and to give you more stuff to talk about on your PS.
KnittedMaestro
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Thank you for your feedback guys! I think I prefer Oxford as a place from when I visited it last summer, I liked the feel of it much more than Cambridge, so I guess that plays towards E&M. I guess the answer will be to get high UMS for Maths AS and then take Further Maths and show them that I am more than capable for the mathematical side of the course.

Meanwhile I had a feeling they wouldn't care about the EC stuff so that isn't much of a surprise but as you've mentioned it is good for other Uni's if not, and enjoyable of course! Best of luck in your studies and thanks for your help guys x
RahulJAG
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello

I am in Year 12 currently with 9 A*s 3As 1 B for my GCSEs (inlcuding Add Maths which i studied myself and got a high A) also I got the highest grades in my school, as i went to a non-selective state school, currently I attend a grammar sixth form (Reading Grammar school). My subjects at the moment are Maths and Further Maths in one block, Economics, Chemistry, Physics. I choose the Cambridge course over Oxford courses due to the mathematical rigour present in them. As far as my Maths capability goes, I normally get around 100ums for C1, C2, M1 and above 96 for FP1, also doing C3, S1 and D1 this year.

For my extra cirriculars i volunteer at a charity called Me2 club where I help out disabled kids, and I believe I have learned many skills from committing to this weekly. I have applied to a couple of Investment Bank insight days, and hopefully will get some work experience in HSBC doing financial modelling in the Treasury side, also when i travel to India later this year I should be able to gather work experience and aknowledge the work envoironment of Investments Banks. I am also taking Financial modelling lessons in India.

My extra cirriculars may or may not account much for University admissions but they will definetly develop me as a candidate for the future. I have started reading around Economics a lot recently reading books like "thinking Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kaheneman, "23 things they don't tell you about Capitalism" by Ha Joon Chang. And when my mocks are finished I will be able to read more books, I am particulary interested in Globablistation and Trade in Macroeconomics. I read the Financial times daily, as it gets delivered to my door, also coupled with the economist weekly, this is where my source of current affairs mainly comes from. I have attened public lectures as LSE and this saturday I am going to a Conference at the Cambridge Marshall Society on "The Power of Policy" I was selected along with 9 other economists in the grammar school I go to, to attend this conference.

I have been predicted all A's for As, and look to get high As (96+ums try and get the 100ums) in Maths and Further Maths as well as Economics, And Chemistry, Physics I will hope to get over 90 ums- which i would be over the moon with. I know someone who has been through the cmabridge application process and been rejected and i will try and learn from his mistakes, he tells me that the interview is very mathsy with a lot of stats qiestions, so in the future I look to brush up on my stats knowledge.

Do you think I have a realistic chance of getting in, and if so how could I make my profile better, as in my school I am competing with two other guys with identical profiles to me, so the only way o can diffrentiate myself is the interview process, which is why I am gonna brush up on stats questions. P.s I am a keen cricketer not that helps pr anything. Ohh and sorry for the dissertation of a question, thanks in advance.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hopefulecon12)
Oxford E and M [is] ridiculously more competitive than cambridge econ.
there is no good evidence for this, or none that is better than the evidence suggesting the Great North Run as more competitive than the Olympic marathon.
hopefulecon12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In terms of pure applicants per place. Obviously this doesn't reflect how competitive it is but it's as close as we can get.
[

Posted from TSR Mobile
KnittedMaestro
Rep:
?
Seems as though you have a brilliant chance of getting in! Thanks for recommending those books. I could do with reading around the subject more like you are and doing some more extra activities more related to economics as well, but we both certainly seem on the right track. Best of luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (60)
29.13%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.28%
No I am happy with my choice (115)
55.83%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.77%

Watched Threads