Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I would love to work in the property market with the hope of eventually working in a top agency in London.

I am 19 and finished school last year, for various reasons I decided uni wasn't for me and so am now going with the option of trying to get onto the job ladder.

I currently have three jobs, I work in a local law firm doing admin and secretarial work, I work in a cafe in town and I volunteer at a hospital radio in London.

I know that realistically I would start off doing admin work before they train me up. So I am thinking of going in to local agencies with my cv. Luckily I already have admin experience but should I go straight in with the chain agencies like Strutt and Parker, Hamptons etc or is it best if I go for the smaller ones first? To be honest I will probably do a mixture of both because you never know...

Does anyone have any advice on how to sell myself or who to ask for when I go in? I mean I don't think these places have an overall manager, the highest positions are usually partners.. Should I ask to speak to one of these people or just anyone? Also should I arrange to have a meeting there and then or just have a quick chat?

Ideally I would talk to someone who is in charge of employment but I don't think such a person exists in estate agents..

Would appreciate any help!

Thanks

Edit: the other option is to try and get an apprenticeship with an estate agent before doing all this. Do you think this is a better option or should I go in straight away with my cv on the off chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can't offer much useful advice I'm afraid as I've never looked into it myself, but my brother got a job working in an estate agent just from filling in an application form for one of the estate agents around here. It might be worth having a look on the websites of some of the estate agents in your area and seeing what they say there about how to apply if you haven't already.

My brother started off just as a trainee negotiator but has moved up to become a mortgage advisor so he didn't actually do much (if any) admin things, he was doing viewings etc right from the start. I'd recommend looking online to see if they are advertising for staff first, but the main advice for selling yourself I think would just be really good communication skills - friendly, positive, willing to help, all the obvious things but the charisma really does help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.