Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Erm, hi! Not sure what to put in here.

My name is Kit. I'm studying PPE, and was in line for a First, but due to circumstances last year and this year my scores have taken a bit of a nosedive.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Circumstances - Last year, over the space of a few months, my grandfather fell very ill and passed away, then a friend was diagnosed with cancer and passed away, then my grandmother fell very ill and passed away. At the same time, my boyfriend had a lot of problems with his back, and I had some health issues, and there were other family issues as well.

Currently, my boyfriend is suffering from a bilateral slipped disc which is "tickling" his spinal cord and he is awaiting neurosurgery. We live together, so I look after him, the house, the cats and it's stressful to see him in such pain.

At the University I study with, I need to score an 85 or higher for a First. My scores for Philosophy so far are 83 and 77, so I have some catching up to do. I have an essay and presentation on the 5th of Feb, and am about three weeks of studying behind and have never done a presentation in my life. That's why I think that this contest will be great for me. I need to motivate myself and not let life get on top of my studies.

To all the other entrants - good luck! We can do this .
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    This post is to confirm that Kittiara's grades have been verified!

:banana::banana2::banana:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Today's date is the 22nd of January 2015. I need to have an essay and a presentation ready by the 5th of February, which means that I have exactly two weeks to get them done. I'm about three weeks behind on my course work, because of my partner's situation. He's been in and out of the hospital and his problems are quite severe. That's meant me looking after him, the house and the cats, and let me tell you now... I am not a domestic Goddess!

Anyway, as you can tell, that's where my mind is right now. Cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, laundry, dishes, the doctor, the hospital, medication, when the surgery will be, all that stuff. My education, not so much. It doesn't help that I've hurt my leg, so my biggest problem now is how I am going to do the grocery shopping tomorrow – I don't have a car, and I have to get to the nearest town and visit several shops, as we always stock up for a couple of weeks due to living in the countryside. And there's a thick layer of snow. And it's slippery. See? That's what I mean. :rolleyes:

So, with a stew on the go and the dishes still looming (oh, and I need to get the laundry out of the washing machine), the things I need to do for my essay and my presentation are as follows:

* Read Chapter 2 Book 3
    * Read Chapter 3
    * Read Chapter 4
    * Extra reading 1
    * Extra reading 2
    * Extra reading 3
    * Extra reading 4
    * All the relevant exercises and quizzes
    * All the material on how to do a presentation

My planned schedule:

22nd of January – extra reading 1 + exercises and quiz
    23rd of January – Chapter 2
    24th of January – extra reading 2 + exercises and quiz
    25th of January – Chapter 3
    26th of January – extra reading 3 + exercises and quiz
    27th of January – Chapter 4
    28th of January – extra reading 4 + exercises and quiz
    29th of January – presentation material
    30th of January – presentation material
    31st of January – essay planning
    1st of February – essay writing
    2nd of February – essay writing
    3rd of February – finish essay, start presentation
    4th of February – presentation
    5th of February – submit by noon deadline

Going to be interesting, but it's gotta be done!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Kittiara)
    Today's date is the 22nd of January 2015. I need to have an essay and a presentation ready by the 5th of February, which means that I have exactly two weeks to get them done. I'm about three weeks behind on my course work, because of my partner's situation. He's been in and out of the hospital and his problems are quite severe. That's meant me looking after him, the house and the cats, and let me tell you now... I am not a domestic Goddess!

Anyway, as you can tell, that's where my mind is right now. Cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, laundry, dishes, the doctor, the hospital, medication, when the surgery will be, all that stuff. My education, not so much. It doesn't help that I've hurt my leg, so my biggest problem now is how I am going to do the grocery shopping tomorrow – I don't have a car, and I have to get to the nearest town and visit several shops, as we always stock up for a couple of weeks due to living in the countryside. And there's a thick layer of snow. And it's slippery. See? That's what I mean. :rolleyes:

So, with a stew on the go and the dishes still looming (oh, and I need to get the laundry out of the washing machine), the things I need to do for my essay and my presentation are as follows:

* Read Chapter 2 Book 3
    * Read Chapter 3
    * Read Chapter 4
    * Extra reading 1
    * Extra reading 2
    * Extra reading 3
    * Extra reading 4
    * All the relevant exercises and quizzes
    * All the material on how to do a presentation

My planned schedule:

22nd of January – extra reading 1 + exercises and quiz
    23rd of January – Chapter 2
    24th of January – extra reading 2 + exercises and quiz
    25th of January – Chapter 3
    26th of January – extra reading 3 + exercises and quiz
    27th of January – Chapter 4
    28th of January – extra reading 4 + exercises and quiz
    29th of January – presentation material
    30th of January – presentation material
    31st of January – essay planning
    1st of February – essay writing
    2nd of February – essay writing
    3rd of February – finish essay, start presentation
    4th of February – presentation
    5th of February – submit by noon deadline

Going to be interesting, but it's gotta be done!
    Sounds like a good plan - wish I would make plans like that!!! If this plan is anything to go by, your essay will be well structured!

Good luck with it and keep us updated!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Good plan so far Kit, I hope everything goes well!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Sounds like a good plan - wish I would make plans like that!!! If this plan is anything to go by, your essay will be well structured!

Good luck with it and keep us updated!
    Thanks, mobbsy .

(Original post by Gingerbread101)
    Good plan so far Kit, I hope everything goes well!
    Thank you!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It's the 25th of January, and I am one day behind on my posted schedule. I did manage to get into town and do some shopping (I'm sure you'll be glad to know ), but I was limping to such an extent that a lady with a mobility scooter moved aside for me! Might have to go to the doc's next week.

Anyway, I studied the chapter and extra reading material most relevant to my essay today. My essay question is:

Do adaptive preferences pose a serious problem for preferentism?

If anyone knows of any interesting sources that tackle this question, please do let me know. I have already studied Nussbaum's “Symposium on Amartya Sen's philosophy: 5 Adaptive preferences and women's options”, and Baber on Adaptive preference.

Tomorrow I'm going to tackle Chapter 3 on weakness of will and all the related materials. And write my newsletter. And keep my fingers crossed that I'll win one of the 50 hoodies in the “design a hoodie” competition. Still hope you'll win one as well, mobbsy!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    YaY, I am all caught up on my study plan . Read a really interesting piece today as part of my extra reading, on weakness of will, and how it might actually be a case of system 1 and system 2 functioning and ego depletion.

On to chapter 4 after some sleep, in which I will be studying group agency.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It's past three in the morning, on the day that my essay and presentation are due... and I've just submitted them! Talk about a close shave. Well, close-ish - the deadline is at noon. I figured I would stay up and finish them, so that I can sleep as long as I want now (or as long as my cats allow me to).

I honestly don't have a clue what my score will be. I think that the essay went well enough, but as always, I had to leave out arguments out of necessity. I only had 2000 words to play with. And I'd never done a presentation before, so I cannot guess at how well it will go down. At least the presentation only makes up 20 percent of my score for this assignment.

Despite the title of my blog, I am coming to terms with the fact that in my current situation it may not be possible to achieve a First for this module. I'm also beginning to feel that that is okay. I should be able to get a 2.1 at least, and if that happens, I still have two more modules I can strive for a First in. And if that doesn't happen... it's not the end of the world. Unless I seriously mess up, I have a 2.1 in the bag. And that's not too bad at all...

Maybe I should rename this "Kit's Let's Do As Well As I Can Blog"? I won't yet. We'll see what my tutor thinks of my assignment, which he will hopefully let me know at some point next week.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I received my score and... 84! Okay, that is lower than the 85+ I was aiming for, but I am still pleased. I did actually score 85 for the essay part, so that was a confidence boost. I lost a point because of the presentation part, for which I scored 80 and which counted as 20 percent of my overall assignment score.

Not bad for my first ever presentation, though. And after my drop to 77, this score gives me hope and the inspiration to keep on going.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It's that time again when I need to get myself into gear. I've broken my finger, which is a bit of a set-back all around. However, there's another essay deadline looming, as well as an annotated extended essay plan. They are both due on the 19th. I want to have them done on the 17th, because the 18th is my birthday and there is no way I want to spend my birthday sweating over an essay about death. So, here's my planned schedule:

March 3rd - Book 4, C1 + audio, interview and quiz
    March 4th - Independent study
    March 5th - Book 4, C2 + extras and quiz
    March 6th - Independent study
    March 7th - Book 4, C3 + extras and quiz
    March 8th - Independent study
    March 9th - Book 4, C4 + audio and quiz
    March 10th - Independent study
    March 11th - Revision
    March 12th - Encyclopedia exercise + nudge exercise
    March 13th - Essay
    March 14th - Essay
    March 15th - Extended essay prep task
    March 16th - Extended essay prep task
    March 17th - Formatting, editing etc + submission
    March 18th - Birthday!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It turned out that it was a three-part assignment - the essay, the annotated extended essay plan, and 250 words on the skills I have learned this year and how I will apply them to my final extended essay. I didn't get everything done before my birthday, and the broken finger didn't help, but, yay, I met the deadline.

I'm not certain what score to expect for my assignment. I liked my essay, but usually when I like my essays, my score is lower than when I don't particularly like them. I went with it after all, though, because I figure that I should be doing philosophy, rather than spend too much time on what philosophers say and think about issues. I'm not good at sounding all academic - I tend to write in a straightforward manner - and I like putting forward my own ideas and thoughts. Otherwise, what is the point? And what is the point if I cannot enjoy myself?

So, we'll see. One more essay to go, and then my extended essay. And that's another year done.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I received an 89, Yay! That's given me a big boost. I think I needed to cross that 85 barrier to get motivated again. My tutor's comments helped me a lot as well.

On top of that, a couple of kind people on TSR have helped me work out that it's still possible to get a First this year. If, say, I manage to score 85 on my next assignment and 87 on my extended essay, I'll have succeeded. So, with some hard work and a good dose of luck, I'll live up to the title of this blog.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    I received an 89, Yay! That's given me a big boost. I think I needed to cross that 85 barrier to get motivated again. My tutor's comments helped me a lot as well.

On top of that, a couple of kind people on TSR have helped me work out that it's still possible to get a First this year. If, say, I manage to score 85 on my next assignment and 87 on my extended essay, I'll have succeeded. So, with some hard work and a good dose of luck, I'll live up to the title of this blog.
    Wahay, awesome stuff! :woo:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    So I thought that my final grade would be 60/40 assignments/final paper. Turns out that it isn't. This means that I need a score of at least 89 for my upcoming essay in order to achieve a First, otherwise I will miss out on it by 1 point. No pressure, then. It doesn't help that the essay is on a rather tricky and very boring subject...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    So I thought that my final grade would be 60/40 assignments/final paper. Turns out that it isn't. This means that I need a score of at least 89 for my upcoming essay in order to achieve a First, otherwise I will miss out on it by 1 point. No pressure, then. It doesn't help that the essay is on a rather tricky and very boring subject...
    You can do it - just believe in yourself!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    You can do it - just believe in yourself!
    Thanks, Mobbsy! Though actually, it's worse than I thought even last night. The calculator on the site didn't take into consideration the different weightings of the assignments. So I need a score in the 90s. Which, for essay-based topics is quite rare...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Thanks, Mobbsy! Though actually, it's worse than I thought even last night. The calculator on the site didn't take into consideration the different weightings of the assignments. So I need a score in the 90s. Which, for essay-based topics is quite rare...
    Ahh well in that case - you might as well just give up. Screw the essay - screw it all!!! I'll PM you an awesome video as it contains swearing and I don't think I'm allowed to add it here, but seriously, pull yourself together woman!!!!

Motivational speech over!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Ahh well in that case - you might as well just give up. Screw the essay - screw it all!!! I'll PM you an awesome video as it contains swearing and I don't think I'm allowed to add it here, but seriously, pull yourself together woman!!!!

Motivational speech over!
    :laugh: Thanks!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Okay, so I have five days to get this done. Mission... I won't say impossible, otherwise I will have Mobbsy on my case ()... but difficult. I think it is fair to say that it is going to be difficult.

I fell asleep earlier with my course book, then woke up in the middle of the night, and I have been up ever since. So, after I have had some more sleep I will finish the chapter on the philosophy of science, and do my independent reading.

Tomorrow I will go through all the relevant materials for my essay and make notes.

On Monday I will write my essay plan and make a start.

On Tuesday I want to finish my first draft, which will leave Wednesday for fine-tuning, referencing, formatting, and so on.

It's going to be a close call, I think, getting the score I need. I am at my best when I have plenty of room to use my imagination, and the essay in question is more about the technical aspects of philosophy. However, all I can do is my best, and that is what I shall be doing. That, and hope that inspiration strikes.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.