Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Breakfast: good for weight gain or not? watch

ReputationRep:
    Just been chatting about this as everyone is always told that you must eat breakfast.

I want to put on weight (my metabolism is freakishly fast) and have been encouraged to eat breakfast every single day.

However, it is also said that breakfast is beneficial as it helps regulate your digestion and lower your weight gain (as eating at lunch when you are starving makes you more likely for your body to cling to that fat).

Can anyone help clear this up for me?

ReputationRep:
    breakfast is not just good nutritionally but helps you academically as well as it kick starts your brain so you have enough energy to concentrate during the day, missing it out means you have to eat more at lunch

ReputationRep:
    I hear conflicting information concerning this every other day.

I figure just eating less overall would work.

ReputationRep:
    always have breakfast, it really is the most important meal of the day make sure you're having lunch and dinner as well though
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by A5ko)
    Same!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)

I figure just eating less overall would work.
    Eating less overall helps you gain weight? Please explain how...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Forget completely about concerns like that - if those kinds of effects exist at all, they're not statistically big enough for studies to agree one way or the other. If you want to gain weight, you want to be eating more calories than your body is using - that's pretty much it. Eating a big breakfast definitely helps with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegWeak)
    always have breakfast, it really is the most important meal of the day make sure you're having lunch and dinner as well though
    no it really isnt

• TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    Just been chatting about this as everyone is always told that you must eat breakfast.

I want to put on weight (my metabolism is freakishly fast) and have been encouraged to eat breakfast every single day.

However, it is also said that breakfast is beneficial as it helps regulate your digestion and lower your weight gain (as eating at lunch when you are starving makes you more likely for your body to cling to that fat).

Can anyone help clear this up for me?
    Yo

Metabolisms can't be shifted through meal timings or otherwise. Nor is your metabolism insanely high, unless you have a rare (I say rare as you're still pretty young) condition affecting your metabolism. It's more than likely it's a case of you don't eat as much as you think you do, it's the most common problem for thin people according to a LOT of studies

FAQ answers this bit http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3014757

If you're trying to gain weight, eating more often but smaller portions (so eating say 5 meals a day) might work. Or just always having a snack on you. As long as your diet is reasonably healthy, it doesn't matter much what your snack is as long as there are calories.

Having lunch etc will not lead to your body hold onto fat, it's all calories in vs calories out. It's another misconception perpetuated by glossy mag culture

(Original post by ikhan94)
    breakfast is not just good nutritionally but helps you academically as well as it kick starts your brain so you have enough energy to concentrate during the day, missing it out means you have to eat more at lunch
    No it doesn't necessarily if you're sensible about it

(Original post by LegWeak)
    I don't eat until 5pm everyday, I don't think it really is the most important

ReputationRep:
    I very rarely ever eat breakfast ... it's an annoying meal and I'm not hungry until I've been up 3-4 hours.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    There have been several studies done to refute the effect of nutrient timing, skipping meals etc on the metabolism. in other words, it won't make a difference, what matters more is your caloric and macronutrient (protein/carb/fat) intake. So, if you have breakfast, that's one extra meal in your diet which means more calories. I'd suggest tracking your calories and making sure you're eating enough every day.

Oh, and watch for primary areas of fat storage too when you do start gaining weight. You might be a "skinny-fat", i.e. you might gain fat mostly around your stomach and back, but hardly any anywhere else, which means that with your clothes on you'd basically still look skinny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentro)
    Eating less overall helps you gain weight? Please explain how...
    Magic, obviously.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.