Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm 16, and my Gran has passed away recently. She left me £10k which she said I was to have at 18. The idea was to pay living costs for Uni.

My Mum, who is executor of the will, has now said she won't let me have that money at 18, and instead will keep it in trust until I am 30.

I want to spend it on Uni, and don't want to allow my parents to hold this sort of power over me. I plan to graduate Uni and then spend the rest of my life living far away, seeing them as infrequently as possible.

Is what she's doing legal? Surely it becomes my money at 18? How do I prevent this without taking my own parents to court. This is their power trip, to try and prove that even when I'm an adult they still control me.

Also, as a named beneficiary, how do I go around my Mum to get a copy of the will. At the moment my only source of information is my parents, who I don't trust at all.

ReputationRep:
    If it's in the will that you are to receive it at 18, legally they can't hold it after you become 18. Not sure how you're going to get it without taking them to court though.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware she's not legally allowed to do that. However, you should probably check up on that with someone more legal than I.

You can get a copy of a will - check out more info here: https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

ReputationRep:
    Gran passed away recently, you're 16 and cant wait to get your hands on that money. When I get old and if I have any grand children like you, they wouldnt get **** all.

(Original post by College_Dropout)
    Gran passed away recently, you're 16 and cant wait to get your hands on that money. When I get old and if I have any grand children like you, they wouldnt get **** all.
    Recently = 8 months ago

My parents are loaded but abusive, so the only way I can get money for uni is to remain in an abusive household and be maltreated. They will hold complete financial power, and there will be no way outnof the situation, unless I get this 10k which would allow me to have food/shelter.

ReputationRep:
    Speak to a lawyer.

Or fake an email from a lawyer and let then 'accidentally' find it and hope that is scares them a little.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Anyone can get a copy of (almost) any will - they're public documents.*

Are there any other executors?

* Unless your gran was a member of the royal family etc, because somewhat disgracefully, they're treated differently.

(Original post by unprinted)
    Anyone can get a copy of (almost) any will - they're public documents.*

Are there any other executors?

* Unless your gran was a member of the royal family etc, because somewhat disgracefully, they're treated differently.
    My uncle is joint executor but he's a psychopath.

ReputationRep:
    What is their reason for keeping it till youre 30?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Recently = 8 months ago

My parents are loaded but abusive, so the only way I can get money for uni is to remain in an abusive household and be maltreated. They will hold complete financial power, and there will be no way outnof the situation, unless I get this 10k which would allow me to have food/shelter.
    You talk about financial power as if you did something to earn that money. You have got 2 years, how about you get a job?

(Original post by Professor Purple)
    What is their reason for keeping it till youre 30?
    Because apparently I won't be mature enough. In reality, it's their way of maintaining power over me.

ReputationRep:
    Because apparently I won't be mature enough. In reality, it's their way of maintaining power over me.
    I think I agree with them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My uncle is joint executor but he's a psychopath.
    Even psychopaths can be useful allies... How much does he like your mother?

Ultimately, she is / they are being naughty, but making a fuss about it is going to be a nuclear option. If they want to fight it, it will very probably do severe damage to your relationship with her, such that it is.

ReputationRep:
    at least it's still there for you...

(Original post by unprinted)
    Even psychopaths can be useful allies... How much does he like your mother?

Ultimately, she is / they are being naughty, but making a fuss about it is going to be a nuclear option. If they want to fight it, it will very probably do severe damage to your relationship with her, such that it is.
    He hates my mother. All I really want is to be able to prove to them what they're doing is illegal.

ReputationRep:
    Recently = 8 months ago

You could work part time..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    He hates my mother. All I really want is to be able to prove to them what they're doing is illegal.
    The first bit is good (for you).

I doubt very much that they've currently doing anything illegal. They haven't (yet) withheld the money, for example, because you're not yet 18.

Challenging the administration of estates does not come cheap, financially or in other ways. Two years is a significant length of time: if she's still refusing when you're 18, you can consider whether it's worth fighting for it. But without outside support, you may find the legal costs take a big chunk out of the money. People end up in the High Court having spent hundreds of thousands fighting over sums like this.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they want you to work to get through uni so you get a good work ethic and aren't like many others who go to uni to party and put off having to enter the real world...

I think most 18 year olds would blow the money. I know I did with 3 grand I got at 18... kinda wish I wasn't allowed it till 25 or something. 30 is a bit old though!!

ReputationRep:
    http://changingawillafterdeath.co.uk/

They can't change the will without the agreement of all the beneficiaries. I think I'd go to the Citizens Advice Bureau for advice on what to do.

You are very lucky to be left any money so do use it well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutellme)
    I think I agree with them.
    ^^ Totally agree with this post. ^^

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.