Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

~*radpanda's road to uni blog*~ Let's do this! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    :banana:Welcome to my blog:banana:
    this is my road to uni grow your grades blog *yay*

So let's get the introductions out of the way. My name is Hannah and I'm currently in sixth form studying Maths, Biology and I.C.T
    My biggest goal for this blog is to get the grades to do Zoology at Newcastle University as they have given me a conditional offer with ABB

What are your current grades? (AS Level)
    I.C.T- B
    Biology- C
    Maths- D

So yeah...not the best to be honest but I'm resitting a lot of modules, especially in maths and biology so hopefully I can bring it up!

What are your goals? (A2 Level)
    While I don't want to be "too" ambitious, I do really want to push myself to do the best I can, so take this with a pinch of salt, but this is what I'm aiming for.

I.C.T. A
    Biology A/A* (I know what you're thinking, but with my resits it's possible)
    Maths B

For now I'll leave it at that, but I will be updating this post with more information as time goes on!

Thanks for checking me out

Links to important posts: (This will serve as a navigation of sorts so you can take a look at specific posts)
    Weekend 1 goals
    Pre-Mock Exam Results
    Revision tips/resources?

• Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by radpanda)
    Welcome to my blog
    this is my road to uni grow your grades blog *yay*

So let's get the introductions out of the way. My name is Hannah and I'm currently in sixth form studying Maths, Biology and I.C.T
    My biggest goal for this blog is to get the grades to do Zoology at Newcastle University as they have given me a conditional offer with ABB

What are your current grades? (AS Level)
    I.C.T- B
    Biology- C
    Maths- D

So yeah...not the best to be honest but I'm resitting a lot of modules, especially in maths and biology so hopefully I can bring it up!

What are your goals? (A2 Level)
    While I don't want to be "too" ambitious, I do really want to push myself to do the best I can, so take this with a pinch of salt, but this is what I'm aiming for.

I.C.T. A
    Biology A/A* (I know what you're thinking, but with my resits it's possible)
    Maths B

For now I'll leave it at that, but I will be updating this post with more information as time goes on!

Thanks for checking me out

Hiya!!! Puddles will review your grades and verify them ASAP, but in the meantime, I thought I'd drop by and check out your blog!

Your goals are looking good and I hope that you will be able to achieve them! Remember the Study Help team is here to help you along the way if you need anything, and you can discuss things with others in the discussion thread! I look forward to following your blog as you keep us updated with your progress!

ReputationRep:
    Goals for weekend beginning 24th January 2015

Maths:
    CORE 4- Practice partial fractions and simplifying complicated algebraic fractions
    CORE 3- Past Paper with analysis so I can see what I need to revise

I.C.T
    Write up best notes for last lesson's work

Biology
    Add to my UNIT 5 revision guide I am working on
    Practice questions for homeostasis and DNA technology

Also any homework i receive on top of that!

Edit: I'll strike through them as I do them!

In terms of things that are not school related, I'm relatively free this weekend, so I want to take advantage and get some revision done. I think constant revision is the best way to get by, but obviously as we go along this blogging experience we will find out what works best for me.
    I will add to this post if I decide to anything extra, but this is the minimum I want to do!

I'm kind of in a limbo right now because we have just had our A2/AS Resit mocks and we don't get our results until Tuesday, so I'm not 100% sure what to revise at the moment in terms of those mocks to improve. Once I get the results, I will be able to write a clear list of topics I need to revise and it will be nice and structured yay!

• Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Your blog is looking great so far

Best of luck with your aims, keep us updated :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    Your blog is looking great so far

Best of luck with your aims, keep us updated :yep:
    Thankyou, I look forward to being able to track my goals in this way and hopefully I'll be able to help some other people along the way!

ReputationRep:
    Pre-mock results worry

Ok so my sixth form is being suuuuuper annoying with the way they are giving out mock results. You might think what they are doing will be beneficial for us but I'm worried it will just stress us all out and scare us really.

So they are doing a kind of "mock results day" where we all have to gather in the common room and have our results given to us in envelopes like the real results day. Now, I understand why they would do this for GCSE students who may have never experienced results day, but for year 13's we have had many a results day so...not really necessary

On top of that they are letting us know if we "got in" to our university offers. Which we obviously wouldn't have because
    A. we haven't finished the course
    B. we haven't had the months of revision to perfect our knowledge

And I'm pretty sure they will be having meetings with everyone to advise them which Unis they should put as their firm and insurance. So basically they are butting in if i'm honest.

I don't know what you think to be honest, I guess it can prevent disappointment but honestly I want to put my firm as something slightly higher than predicted because I believe I can get there if I work my hardest. I don't think settling for the safe option is the best, that's what the insurance is for after all.

In terms of how my mock exams went, I was happy with my Biology exams and my ICT exam was OK but I know I did badly in my maths (mostly because I had the flu and had to do two maths papers when I got back in one day)

I'll keep you posted on what I end up getting, maybe it will be good and I can calm down a bit or maybe it will give me the extra push I need.

We shall see...

Question of the day (yeah let's make this a thing): How do you think you did in your mocks?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    My school did the same thing at GCSE, but we just get them back individually for A Levels.. Just remember it is all mock, so whatever they say isn't the be all and end all :nah:

I've just had my AS mocks, I think I've done quite well, not my best but good enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    My school did the same thing at GCSE, but we just get them back individually for A Levels.. Just remember it is all mock, so whatever they say isn't the be all and end all :nah:

I've just had my AS mocks, I think I've done quite well, not my best but good enough
    Yeah I'll try not to take it as the be all and end all. Either way it should help me get back on track

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any tips/Resources?

So I just wanted to ask if anyone had any tips specific to the exams I am taking or just general tips for keeping composed and what not during exam season. I do get a little stressed and it has in the past affected my performance in exams so any tips on that would be super helpful!

As well as that, I guess I want to know any revision tips or resources that you have for these exams:

MATHS: (yeah i could use some advice on how to keep my sanity)
    CORE 2 OCR
    STATISTICS OCR
    CORE 3 OCR
    CORE 4 OCR
    MECHANICS OCR

BIOLOGY:
    UNIT 1 AQA
    UNIT 4 AQA
    UNIT 5 AQA

ICT:
    G063 A2 EXAM OCR

I guess I'm wondering how you revise for these exams whether it be past papers, flashcards etc.
    Also any time management tips for revision, especially for maths because that is clearly a HUGGEEE chunk of my time to revise for.

ReputationRep:
    How I organise my time

So one thing you may not know about me is that I am an organisational freak. I have had about a million planners and I just can't stick to a diary for very long without wanting a more complex one with more features.

I'm working on a new method that is currently working really well for me.
    I have a simple planner/diary from Photobox which is pocket sized and quite small and does not have timings on it. It is good generally for writing down what homework I need to do, but it does not give me the opportunity to schedule things.

So i decided that my diary would be good to transfer what I need to do home onto a larger more complex organisational system.

So I'm using the passion planner weekly printout to organise on a larger scale as it allows me to schedule what I want to do at what time as well as cute little motivational sections that allow me to remember why I'm doing all of this.

It's really my way of creating a revision timetable that I can actually stick to
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by radpanda)
    How I organise my time

So one thing you may not know about me is that I am an organisational freak. I have had about a million planners and I just can't stick to a diary for very long without wanting a more complex one with more features.

I'm working on a new method that is currently working really well for me.
    I have a simple planner/diary from Photobox which is pocket sized and quite small and does not have timings on it. It is good generally for writing down what homework I need to do, but it does not give me the opportunity to schedule things.

So i decided that my diary would be good to transfer what I need to do home onto a larger more complex organisational system.

So I'm using the passion planner weekly printout to organise on a larger scale as it allows me to schedule what I want to do at what time as well as cute little motivational sections that allow me to remember why I'm doing all of this.

It's really my way of creating a revision timetable that I can actually stick to

This is amazing. :woo: I try really hard to be organised, but I nearly always fail :lol: Have you ever tried the TSR Study Planner?

How have things been going for you in the past week or so? Anything you're struggling with? What's going well?

There's some good threads/wiki articles on coping with exam stress:

Dealing with Exam Stress
    Exam stress megathread!

Maybe there should be a new exam stress thread for this year :woo:

Something that works well for me when I'm worrying is 7-11 breathing - you breathe in through your nose for the count of seven, and out through your mouth for the count of 11. It's like the opposite of hyperventilation and helps to keep you calm. You could try practising that style of breathing for a couple of minutes every day before your exams, so when you start getting nervous you know what to do

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.