Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I literally can't stand S1, my class in on the 5th chapter (Probability) ... I still have 0 knowledge about what we learnt so far, I just don't understand anything to be honest. English wasn't my first language as I came to the UK 5 years ago but I don't think that should be a problem. The worded terminology just gives me headache. Love C1 and C2 so far, but S1 i ended up getting a U in the mock. What can I do sort this out?

Can someone please help? would really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpikeSpiegel)
    I literally can't stand S1, my class in on the 5th chapter (Probability) ... I still have 0 knowledge about what we learnt so far, I just don't understand anything to be honest. English wasn't my first language as I came to the UK 5 years ago but I don't think that should be a problem. The worded terminology just gives me headache. Love C1 and C2 so far, but S1 i ended up getting a U in the mock. What can I do sort this out?

Can someone please help? would really appreciate it!
    Assuming that is not your mathematical ability that is in question then lack of success almost certainly is due to lack of interest and/or lack of motivation.

ReputationRep:
    The first place to start is probably your marked mock exam paper. How badly did you fail? Are we talking <10% or a 'near miss' to an E grade? (so >35%, say).

You may find that you take to the probability side of the module than the 'statistics' side (by which I mean the stuff like mean, standard deviation, box and whiskers etc.). That stuff can be quite dry, but it's mostly about just being careful when you work through the calculations. Is there anything in particular that you don't get about it?

Probability is a bit more about problem-solving, so maybe that will suit you better.

ReputationRep:
    S1 is my least favourite module to teach out of the 18 and I can understand why you find it hard. There are so many unconnected techniques ... and some aren't that interesting.

The key is to practise past papers as the same sort of questions come up each year. There are about 15 years worth of past papers, so plenty to try!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    S1 is my least favourite module to teach out of the 18 and I can understand why you find it hard. There are so many unconnected techniques ... and some aren't that interesting.

The key is to practise past papers as the same sort of questions come up each year. There are about 15 years worth of past papers, so plenty to try!
    you must be one of the few select that can teach all 18 (EDEXCEL I assume)

I can only do 151/2 and I thought I was good ...

ReputationRep:
    I'm fortunate to teach in a state school with lots of A level candidates; yes it's Edexcel.

I usually have more than one module going on in the class at one time as they get a free choice beyond the 6 for A level.

ReputationRep:
    S1 is a horrible module, they do that on purpose.

Horrible modules: S1, FP2, M2, D2
    Source: Personal Experience

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.