Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys! I'm Younes and 16 years old! I'm Moroccan and I am very proud of this - it's an amazing country. Education is very important to me because I know that I am extremely fortunate to live in a country where education is free and amazing. I'm reminded of this whenever I visit back home.

Goals:

Minimum of 5A*s at the end of GCSE's (excluding ones which I have taken)
    At least 2 A's in English Literature and Language
    At least an A in French GCSE which I am taking in one year.
    3A*s in the sciences

Achieved grades:

History : A*
    Spanish: A*
    RE: A ...............(i'm retaking this, this year. Predicted an A*
    Photography: B

What I got in my last report:

Biology - A
    Chemistry - C
    Economics - A
    English Lang- A
    English Literature - B
    Maths - C
    Physics - A

Evidently, I need to focus on Maths and Chemistry as I want to get A*'s in both of these.

I want to record my journey into a hopeful success in my GCSE results.
    So, I plan, in this blog, to post weekly updates on:

-My weekly revision and homework timetable.
    - Whether I met all the tasks set in this timetable.
    -What I have done specifically to improve my chemistry and maths attainment.
    - Other bits and bobs.

Easter Review

Hello everyone. So, how has the first week of Easter been

Well,firstly, it didn't go to plan at first so I wasted 2 days and had to reschedule everything after I realised the timetable method was not for (setting time periods for each task) and the rest of week was also a little patchy for me because of guests and my new gym routine which drained the life out of me.

Frankly, I'm not too pleased with myself but I have done some work.

This following week, I'm going for a new approach which is kind of like intervention classes each day.

SO, each day I choose one subject and just work on that from 10-4pm. Then after this I do other small work such as French.

This week I also need to focus on my Economics CA which is due to be done this Thursday! I've actually completed it but I need to start proof-reading and refining 5,000 words of content

I hope everyone elses Easter has been going better than mine!

IM BACK!

I haven't updated this for a very long time!

The past two weeks have been....well....awful. I did near to nor revision for anything because of all the mock exams (which sounds silly but I became very lazy.)

However, I can finally feel the pressure of the exams! So...I am actually quite motivated to work now!

This week, I'm officially starting exam revision!

Also starting from this week - I am starting to go the gym and doing more exercise. Not only to look good in the summer but I've heard that its a very good stress relief method...it'll come in handy.

Here is the plan of this week:

Last Week Summary

I've learnt a few things about my study habits this week:

As the week progresses, the amount of work I do decreases. Obviously, this is because I'm becoming more and more tired but I also think because my motivation decreases in this time. On a Monday, I would do ALL the work I have set myself, by Thursday I would only be doing half or less of the work I've set.

SO, if anyone has any tips for motivation - post them below.

Also, I have learnt that I am sleeping wayyy too early - leaving me doing only very little work each day. Averagely, I am in bed at around 9:30 max! (I catch up on BBC iPlayer). This is because I find myself mentally tired after around 9pm, which is ridiculous!

This week, not only do I aim to do all the work I set but to also set work which will take me up to 9:30 this week. The next week around 10pm, then 10:30pm. I want to cap this time around 11:30 as we get closer to exams!

How the first set of Mock Exams went:

This week I had the following exams:
    - Maths
    - Physics
    - Chemistry

and a REAL ENGLISH LITERATURE CA WHICH NEARLY KILLED ME.

From the Maths exam, I know that Maths is definitely my priority. I find that I spend the majority of my time with science since we will have 9 exams but I am realising how poor my Maths is. I am aiming for an A* but right now I'm at a high B.

All the science exams were decent. One thing I've learnt though is that the small topics I think that are irrelevant and are never going to come up are the topics that these exam boards make 4-6 mark questions on. I need to focus more on those!

The English CA hmmmmmmmmmmm. Well, I can say that I did write all that I wanted. However, one thing that I'm concerned about is what grade my essay actually was. I was never given a rough grade for my drafts and so whatever grade I get will definitely be a surprise. I am hoping for at least an A.

First week back

I don't know how many times this will happen but I failed again. I did very little over the half term. However, I do feel as it was a good mistake as I feel that if I did do everything in the holiday - I would have nothing to do over this week leading to the mocks! I feel that now I will actually stick to what I plan because I can finally feel the pressure! Exams are not far away! Here's the plan:

Half Term!
    In this half term, I will complete notes on all unit 3 science topics for science GCSE. I took Saturday and Sunday off so I will probably do around 2 topics a day from now. I also want to revise my English poetry and make new notes for those as well as revising TKAM by doing exam questions. For economics, I want to make notes on all the topics for the written exam and just make flash cards for the multiple choice exam. Pour le Francais, I am going to complete the work set and do as many 'blocks' on vocab express. Finally, for maths, I'm going to do all the A-A* topics using MathsWatch.

Week beginning: 09/02/15
    What happened this week:
    I messed up again! I think it's because that I don't have enough pressure on me however this week I received my March Exam Mock timetables and I'm sure this will motivate me to work. I did most of the work but just a few things I missed out which added up quite quickly. This is the last week of school and I want to revise and make notes on all the topics in science that I'm weary on so that I can focus on UNIT 3 during the holiday for my mocks. I am also very aware that I am prioritising science but that's because I will have 9 exams on it! But, during the holidays I plan to focus on my other subjects like Economics and English (Especially English).

I've also started writing my controlled assessment comparing the flaws of Macbeth and Frankenstein so If anyone would like to help me - give me a shout.

Here is this weeks plan:

Week beginning: 02/02/15
    What happened this week
    Simply put - I ****ed up. I followed my plan on Monday and Tuesday but on the rest of the days - including the weekend. I basically did what I wanted and that lead to me doing just the bare minimum when I was planning on finishing notes on Unit 1&2 for Chemistry...I didn't. I blame this hugely on a surprise homework which was set on Tuesday and due Friday that took me 2hr30mins to do (English) and just being lazy. What I will improve on this week:

- Add homework sessions and "something productive" sessions where I can do emergency homework and just do other admin staff such as for JLT (Junior Leadership Team) This is very important because I am running a school-wide project so I have a lot to do for it - I need to dedicate some time just for this.

- Find any way to complete the work set that day. The work I set for each day is really stretching - I've done it on purpose. In theory, it is just about enough to lead me to around 10:30 if I start at 5, however practically I know I take a lot of breaks and things take me a little longer than expected SO, I am prepared to stay up later ( I'm known for sleeping really early - last year I used to sleep at 9pm on the dot) and also I'm prepared to wake up early morning to complete the work.

- I also realised the importance of repetition when it comes to revision so I've added 30min sessions where I just recap revision from last week using SamLearning & MyGCSEscience.

- Delegate more time for Maths! I focused way too much time on science.

Week Update: I have finally completed all my english language coursework! It will be marked and I am hoping for an A at the least

HERE IS THE PLAN:

​Week beginning: 26/01/15,

This week, along with all the other tasks I have to do in the week (shown below) I need to redo and improve my coursework essays for English language. I forgot to mention that I am really bad at English language and creativity so every piece of coursework is **** so I will be redo'ing them after school with my English teacher . If anyone would like to help me - drop me a DM. Thanks

Week Goals

- Finish reviewing the content for unit 1 & unit 2 Chemistry GCSE using mind-maps.
    - Finish the books: 'Macbeth' and 'Frankenstein'
    - Get to chapter 18 in 'To Kill a Mockingbird"
    - Do at least 2 more SSAT criteria write-ups with evidence.

(I haven't shown the plans for Saturday and Sunday because I usually fill those out on Friday according to what I need done and the amount of homework I have to do)
    Attached Images

• Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by YounesB)
    Hello guys! I'm Younes and 16 years old! I'm Moroccan and I am very proud of this - it's an amazing country. Education is very important to me because I know that I am extremely fortunate to live in a country where education is free and amazing. I'm reminded of this whenever I visit back home.

Goals:

Minimum of 5A*s at the end of GCSE's (excluding ones which I have taken)
    At least 2 A's in English Literature and Language
    At least an A in French GCSE which I am taking in one year.
    3A*s in the sciences

Achieved grades:

History : A*
    Spanish: A*
    RE: A ...............(i'm retaking this, this year. Predicted an A*
    Photography: B

What I got in my last report:

Biology - A
    Chemistry - C
    Economics - A
    English Lang- A
    English Literature - B
    Maths - C
    Physics - A

Evidently, I need to focus on Maths and Chemistry as I want to get A*'s in both of these.

I want to record my journey into a hopeful success in my GCSE results.
    So, I plan, in this blog, to post weekly updates on:

-My weekly revision and homework timetable.
    - Whether I met all the tasks set in this timetable.
    -What I have done specifically to improve my chemistry and maths attainment.
    - Other bits and bobs.
    Heya! Puddles will review your grades and verify those for you, but in the meantime, your goals look good, and it'll be interesting to see your progress over the coming months!

I look forward to following your blog, and if you need any help, the Study Help team are here to be with you along the way! You can also discuss some study tips etc... in the competition discussion thread here!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    This post is to confirm that YounesB's grades have been verified!

• Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Good luck! :woo:

Let me know if you want any help with anything :yep:
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Study Helper
    You can do this YounesB. I can feel it in my elbow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)

Haha thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* at gcse maths and now I'm doing maths and further maths A'level. So if you need any help with maths, just ask me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elsie.Duffy)
    I got an A* at gcse maths and now I'm doing maths and further maths A'level. So if you need any help with maths, just ask me

Niiiice. What are top 3 tips to getting that grade?

ReputationRep:
    Niiiice. What are top 3 tips to getting that grade?
    1) Make a revision timetable and stick to it (this goes for all subjects)

2) Ask your teacher or classmates about topics you're unsure of as you can't get an A* unless you understand the topic fully.

3) Do all the past exam papers available

I hope these tips helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)

What do you think of my update? haha. I don't know if I'm doing this right!

ReputationRep:
    I'm rooting for ya bud! What app did you use for the timetabling by the way? Is it just your phone one? (Excuse my freshness if it is :,) )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nandosfood)
    I'm rooting for ya bud! What app did you use for the timetabling by the way? Is it just your phone one? (Excuse my freshness if it is :,) )

Thanks man! It means a lot!

The app I used is on my laptop, on the windows play store. it's called minimalist.

its a pretty good app.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks man! It means a lot!

The app I used is on my laptop, on the windows play store. it's called minimalist.

its a pretty good app.
    Checked it out. It's pretty cool. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    New update on how the last week went and what I plan to improve on for this week!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    New update on how the last week went and what I plan to improve on for this week!
    Looks good! :woo: Make sure you've left enough free time/breaks for yourself just to relax and refresh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Looks good! :woo: Make sure you've left enough free time/breaks for yourself just to relax and refresh!

Of course! My plans are merely check lists. I've tried dictating specific times but that doesn't work for me

ReputationRep:
    New update!

If anyone would like to help me write my essay on comparing the flaws of Macbeth and Frankenstein - that would be great!

ReputationRep:
    For anyone wondering, the 'blog' on my new timetable refers to my new blog which I am blogging on (lol) - if you're interested. It's

www.journey2medicine.wordpress.com

ReputationRep:
    Took Saturday and Sunday off. Now it's time to work. Mon-Sun - I have planned to revise all my subjects. Check out my goals above. My timetable will be posted this evening

ReputationRep:
    SOMEONE needs to kick me up the backside because this has been the third time I have completely neglected my timetables!

Finally, the pressure is here and I can force myself to work

Submit reply
Updated: April 5, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.