Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey...I have accepted an offer at the University of Birmingham to study Italian and German with translation. German is my post A Level language and Italian is my beginners language. I have always wanted to learn French but Birmingham doesnt offer it unless it is studied Post A level. I am looking to get near a fluent level. Anybody got any tips on how i can do this? I figured Italian would be good as my beginners language as it lexically similar to French. Would it be impossible to teach myself French as a beginner alongside learning Italian. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leanne1455)
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you want to be at an advanced level, I would recommend going at it the textbook way.

Firstly, learn your beginner's vocab, then learn the first parts of grammar i.e. gender of nouns, articles etc., then carry on learning more and more advanced grammar whilst also learning new vocab i.e. by reading media articles, using a vocab book, whatever you like to do.

If you work really hard and often, you can be at an advanced level in 3 months maybe? I wouldn't rush it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beyknowles)
    If you want to be at an advanced level, I would recommend going at it the textbook way.

Firstly, learn your beginner's vocab, then learn the first parts of grammar i.e. gender of nouns, articles etc., then carry on learning more and more advanced grammar whilst also learning new vocab i.e. by reading media articles, using a vocab book, whatever you like to do.

If you work really hard and often, you can be at an advanced level in 3 months maybe? I wouldn't rush it though.
    Thank you. I think it's because I have been learning german at school for 7 years and don't feel anywhere near fluent so it feels like an impossible task! There again I think we all know the way they teach languages in school is a complete waste of time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I think it's because I have been learning german at school for 7 years and don't feel anywhere near fluent so it feels like an impossible task! There again I think we all know the way they teach languages in school is a complete waste of time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Also, when you learn a language by yourself, you can work on what you want, when you want, for how long you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beyknowles)
    Also, when you learn a language by yourself, you can work on what you want, when you want, for how long you want.
    Great. Thank you 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Great. Thank you ������

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bon courage! Du schaffst das!

ReputationRep:
    French is not an easy language for English speakers to learn. Its roots are in Latin . However as you are going to be learning Italian this may help a lot. Genders and the general workings of the language will have a lot in common.

French is a very intellectual language and the grammar is not easy.

You will need a good text book and considerable dedication. French is all about irregular verbs ( a lot!) and idiomatic phrases. At least an hour of vocabulary and grammar learning a day.

I did A level standard Spanish in 3 months but with a background in Latin and French. You are doing a much more difficult thing so I think A level in a year would be more realistic even with a great deal of dedication.

The other difficulty English speakers have with spoken Latin languages is the torrent of words which overwhelm them. In German you can often pick out the words you recognise ; in any Latin Language this is going to be much more difficult. You will need to spend hours and hours listening to native speakers and more hours speaking , preferably in France. No other English Speakers around! Again if your goal is fluency then we're talking a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pickup)
    French is not an easy language for English speakers to learn. Its roots are in Latin . However as you are going to be learning Italian this may help a lot. Genders and the general workings of the language will have a lot in common.

French is a very intellectual language and the grammar is not easy.

You will need a good text book and considerable dedication. French is all about irregular verbs ( a lot!) and idiomatic phrases. At least an hour of vocabulary and grammar learning a day.

I did A level standard Spanish in 3 months but with a background in Latin and French. You are doing a much more difficult thing so I think A level in a year would be more realistic even with a great deal of dedication.

The other difficulty English speakers have with spoken Latin languages is the torrent of words which overwhelm them. In German you can often pick out the words you recognise ; in any Latin Language this is going to be much more difficult. You will need to spend hours and hours listening to native speakers and more hours speaking , preferably in France. No other English Speakers around! Again if your goal is fluency then we're talking a year.
    Thanks. Can you recommend any textbooks or sites? I'm looking for maybe A level standard in about a year/ year and a half. I've got a French or pal recently so hopefully I am practice my written and spoken French with her 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.