Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HI! I am concidering taking a gap year after this year (Year 13) due to the fact that I got okish AS results and was as a result predicted AAB and try during my gap year to get into Cambridge. As over the course of this year I have now been predicted to get 2 A*s and an A. However, the subject which I dropped I got a C in. If I were to get my new predicted grades, would I stand a chance? Or does Cambridge put a lot of weight in the AS results, even the one you drop? Thank you for your time.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by tpep)
    HI! I am concidering taking a gap year after this year (Year 13) due to the fact that I got okish AS results and was as a result predicted AAB and try during my gap year to get into Cambridge. As over the course of this year I have now been predicted to get 2 A*s and an A. However, the subject which I dropped I got a C in. If I were to get my new predicted grades, would I stand a chance? Or does Cambridge put a lot of weight in the AS results, even the one you drop? Thank you for your time.
    Which subject are you considering?

And what were your "okish" AS marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Which subject are you considering?

And what were your "okish" AS marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thinking of psychological and behavioural sciences, and I got AABC. The C was in math
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    If you achieve A*A*A* at A2 you would be guaranteed an interview (it meets the "auto-pooling" criteria). If you get A*A*A I'd say an interview was possible.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, I got AACC at AS and got an offer - I achieved A*AA and a B in EPQ at A2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosieEPQ)
    If it helps, I got AACC at AS and got an offer - I achieved A*AA and a B in EPQ at A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you.. And well done!

ReputationRep:
    Well they interview mostly anyone who has the potential to acheive the required grades, and then at the interview it becomes less about the grades - you wouldnt be at the itnerview if they didn't think you could achieve them - and more about your potential and how you learn etc. So if you are predicted the grades you need for Cambridge then you should get an interview? Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I think this'll come down to how 'good' your school is, ie. its typical Oxbridge leaver numbers, typical results etc. If you go to a traditionally good school then I doubt you'll get an interview as they've said at every admissions talk I've been to that if you get less than 85% UMS in AS then don't bother applying. However, these are by no means bad results and if your school doesn't have a very good reputation (or if you have a few contextual flags) then you've got a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tpep)
    They put weight on all your A2 & AS UMS not just AS UMS. They look primarily at your best three subjects.
    So if you do get 2A* that will bump up your UMS quite considerably. PBS is not one of the most competitive subjects and post qual A*A*A would be a strong application. They will also see the marked improvement which should count in your favour.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.