Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry - not a student but a student's mum seeking advice... hope that's ok! We're coming to a post-offer open day on a Saturday in March. We're flying down as we live in Cumbria, and that's the cheapest way. We can get a bus to the uni in the morning, but to make our pm flight we'll have to get a taxi, I think, as the presentation finishes at 5 and our flight is 6.40, which is a bit tight for a bus. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced firm.... or do people ever share lifts in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizAtk)
    Sorry - not a student but a student's mum seeking advice... hope that's ok! We're coming to a post-offer open day on a Saturday in March. We're flying down as we live in Cumbria, and that's the cheapest way. We can get a bus to the uni in the morning, but to make our pm flight we'll have to get a taxi, I think, as the presentation finishes at 5 and our flight is 6.40, which is a bit tight for a bus. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced firm.... or do people ever share lifts in this situation?
    my son is at Exeter and is a student ambassador there. the presentations usually finish 4.30 and to be honest if you need to go earlier it is unlikely to cause a problem. it certainly didn't with us 3 years ago. I think the main taxi firm is apple cabs. I assume the open day is starting at 1.30. usually as you will be there earlier you will be able to do a campus tour before the departmental open day. if you would like any further info about Exeter please pm me

ReputationRep:
    Ah, thank you. My daughter has applied to two courses and so has two presentations. One at 12, which lasts 45 mins, and one at 3, which apparently lasts 2 hours. Our flight gets in before 10, so I hope we'll have plenty of time to get the bus in (sounds like it takes an hour to do 6 miles?!) but I still think we will have to get a taxi to be sure of being checked in by just after 6pm at the end of the day. The one online quote I have had is £18, which is too awful - I just thought that surely there would be other families in a similar situation, who might share a taxi. I'll see what Apple quote.

ReputationRep:
    that probably would be right. it is £7 from st davids to my sons house. there are different buses between Exeter airport and town. I cheched traveline earlier there was a 16.50 bus and it takes 15 minutes. I think there is also a shuttle to st davids about 15 minutes walk from campus. I will check for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    that probably would be right. it is £7 from st davids to my sons house. there are different buses between Exeter airport and town. I cheched traveline earlier there was a 16.50 bus and it takes 15 minutes. I think there is also a shuttle to st davids about 15 minutes walk from campus. I will check for you
    That's really kind of you. It is a Saturday that we are coming down, so I guess buses will be less frequent. Do you think we are best getting a bus into St David's and walking, or are there buses that go right onto the campus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizAtk)
    That's really kind of you. It is a Saturday that we are coming down, so I guess buses will be less frequent. Do you think we are best getting a bus into St David's and walking, or are there buses that go right onto the campus?
    my son has been visiting his mentor at the met office which is not far from the airport. he used to catch a bus from union road not far from the campus there. it didn't take an hour. I think it goes from campus. try stagecoach I think it is route H but the airport transfer will be quicker. I have also sent details of a hotel if you are interested.

The RAM student pub does burger and chips for a fiver I think and there is also a wetherspoons called the Imperial between the campus and st davids. we usually go there for food.

ReputationRep:
    my son has been visiting his mentor at the met office which is not far from the airport. he used to catch a bus from union road not far from the campus there. it didn't take an hour. I think it goes from campus. try stagecoach I think it is route H but the airport transfer will be quicker. I have also sent details of a hotel if you are interested.

The RAM student pub does burger and chips for a fiver I think and there is also a wetherspoons called the Imperial between the campus and st davids. we usually go there for food.
    Thank you SO much. We won't need a hotel.... unless we miss our flight! ... but the pub and bus details are useful. Is your son enjoying Exeter? What's he reading? My daughter needs 3 As to get there, which is likely but not a dead cert, but sne's really keen to go.

ReputationRep:
    Airport is getting on for twice as far from campus as the Met Office - it's almost another 3 miles from Met Office to Airport, and not a pleasant walk either.

Direct bus from St David's to Airport, or a taxi, definitely the OP's best option.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.