Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    asdadsarjawrsr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boodoo)
    Can I revise from this and get an A?

I have heard from a few people that it lacks detail but i know someone who uses it in class and i look at it too if i don't get the teacher's explanation and it seems really helpful.

Also the reviews on amazon say it is really good

I dont like the official textbook it is hard to revise/learn from

I used OCR at gcse and even in physics i didn't pay attention and just messed around but after revising from CGP for a couple of weeks i got 100 UMS

Has anyone used it for AS and what information does it not have that you need to know for exams

what did you use to get an A?
    I can't answer most of your questions, but I do know our teachers told us specifically not to use the CGP revision guide for chemistry (it's possible that some things in it are incorrect? Not certain about that though). It's much easier to learn GCSEs from a revision guide than AS, but if reading is a good revision method for you then I would imagine it still helps. The notes we were given for each topic as we went through the year were put together by our chemistry department and made everything very clear and made it a lot easier to know what to learn, but I'm guessing your sixth form hasn't done anything like that for you?

If you want to use the CGP revision guide, I would suggest going onto the OCR website and finding the chemistry specification. There'll be a section in there that lists in bullet points all the things you need to know/be able to do for each unit, and you can double check with that that you've been revising everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boodoo)
    Can I revise from this and get an A?

I have heard from a few people that it lacks detail but i know someone who uses it in class and i look at it too if i don't get the teacher's explanation and it seems really helpful.

Also the reviews on amazon say it is really good

I dont like the official textbook it is hard to revise/learn from

I used OCR at gcse and even in physics i didn't pay attention and just messed around but after revising from CGP for a couple of weeks i got 100 UMS

Has anyone used it for AS and what information does it not have that you need to know for exams

what did you use to get an A?
    I bought both AS and A2 GCP text books. They are complete useless, the official textbooks are much better and online websites for questions to practice from etc. I also did ocr A level Chemistry.
    To answer your question on getting an A, might be able to get an A at AS with that book as AS is not very difficult but i recommend using the official textbook mainly.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 22, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.