The Student Room Group

A* in sciences, is it possible?

Has anybody got any suggestions on how to spend revision time, there are only 3 months until exams and It's hit me hard
Reply 1
Original post by runningcat
Has anybody got any suggestions on how to spend revision time, there are only 3 months until exams and It's hit me hard

I started revising for gases around easter - getting a*s aren't hard. Revision guides and past papers will be your new best friend.

Spoiler

Working on exam theory has helped me in previous mocks, making sure you understand what each question is asking (I'd say past papers are the most helpful for that). Revision guides are obviously helpful too! :smile:
Reply 3
Revise from your text book for a few weeks. then hit the past papers.
-A*'d all my GCSE sciences
Reply 4
I like to make notes from the revision guides and then answer the questions when I understand it all.

also past papers are good because it helps you figure out what they are looking for (especially with six mark questions)
Reply 5

This obviously depends on the course you are taking, but the one thing I would say from experience (a* in chem, bio & physics at IGCSE) is that past papers are a really useful form of revision. Whilst you may want to 'save' papers, I can assure you it 100% confidence that by the time of your exams you will still have unfinished papers. There is nothing more useful than answering a test paper and then going through the mark scheme. You will get to know the sorts of key words that examiners are looking for, what they responses they hate from candidates, and also, you will tend to find that similar/the same sorts of questions crop up every single year.

Good luck, and contact me for any other questions!
So, how many past papers for each science subject would you recommend someone does?
I have heard that past papers are really good but I personally never use them for sciences. I will start it though.

Make notes and make notes and make notes. Stick thinks like the Nitrogen cycle up on your wall and test yourself every morning or evening and it will go in. I got A*s in my science GCSE mocks so I hope the GCSEs will be the same.
Good Luck.

And do as many papers as you can there is never too many. Make sure they are the right exam board though
Original post by CherryCxla
I have heard that past papers are really good but I personally never use them for sciences. I will start it though.

Make notes and make notes and make notes. Stick thinks like the Nitrogen cycle up on your wall and test yourself every morning or evening and it will go in. I got A*s in my science GCSE mocks so I hope the GCSEs will be the same.
Good Luck.

And do as many papers as you can there is never too many. Make sure they are the right exam board though

Wow, congrats on achieving such high grades on your science mocks. I am definitely going to follow up on your revision method.

i started revising 2 weeks before my science chemistry exam, and i got a*. u need to plan ur revision :smile: good luck
Reply 10
There are loads of websites that offer revision notes (if you find there's not enough time to write up notes). If you school offers revision sessions go to them, they really do help. Looking at previous exams and completing gives you a feel for what will come up and how vigorous the exams are.

Quick Reply

Latest