Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am thinking of doing Medicine in university to be a psychiatrist and would like to know from current Medicine students if my chosen A Levels are appropriate or what could possibly be changed. Chosen Alevels for now : Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Statistics. I am at a B/A level in Maths but I really have no interest in continuing it and Physics isnt my thing aha. I want to know if my options are ideal and have anyone of you done Statistics? I am most likely to change Statistics into something else but would like suggestions? Might do Law instead as it sounds interesting. Please do give me some suggestions ASAP!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katebeckett)
    Hi,
    I am thinking of doing Medicine in university to be a psychiatrist and would like to know from current Medicine students if my chosen A Levels are appropriate or what could possibly be changed. Chosen Alevels for now : Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Statistics. I am at a B/A level in Maths but I really have no interest in continuing it and Physics isnt my thing aha. I want to know if my options are ideal and have anyone of you done Statistics? I am most likely to change Statistics into something else but would like suggestions? Might do Law instead as it sounds interesting. Please do give me some suggestions ASAP!!
    Id do biology, chemistry, psychology and something like history, english lit etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest doing maths instead of statistics as there is a module of statistics in AS maths and you can always drop it at A2. Doing statistics might be quite limiting and not doing either maths or physics may limit the medical schools you can apply for as most recommend them. Look at some university courses and see if they'd accept your choices as I am only basing this on what I know and have been told.

ReputationRep:
    in some unis you need 3 sciences or 2 sciences and maths so make sure you check that out ok buddy

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly sure that maths, is considered as a science?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    OP, it's best to pick A levels which are 'facilitating subjects', meaning they are respected by Universities. These are along the lines of;
    Biology
    Chemistry

History
    English
    Physics
    Maths and further maths (downwards from here I'm not too sure if they're useful for psychiatry)
    Modern languages
    Geography

I would really go for Biology, Chemistry , History and English. If you ever had a change of heart, these subjects leave a lot of paths for you to go down.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Research individual universities (ie these wouldn't be suitable for Cambridge as they want 3 sciences), but for the vast majority of med schools you'd be fine with those as chemistry and biology are really the key subjects.

Psychology is a good 3rd, and something useful if you're interested in psychiatry. Again, you'll have to check with individual universities but the only thing you might have issues with is stats as I don't know how much it's recognised (although most places only care about the main 3 subjects, and generally accept everything but general studies and critical thinking!)

So yeah, your subjects are good for the vast majority of unis (needing maths for medicine is a myth), however I'd make sure you do some research just so you're not caught out from applying somewhere you really want to!! The only one id consider changing is stats

(I'm currently applying for medicine and did loads of research on this)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.