Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi so I am doing Biology at A2 atm. I got a B in my first unit and a C in my second unit last year. I failed the EMPA so I'm resitting it but I've decided to also re-sit the second unit. I want to aim high this year because I did 4 a-levels last year and I'm only doing 2 this year (I would explain but it would be too complicated), so I have much more time to revise. I've started doing past papers for the unit 4 exam and I've been getting C's. I want to aim for an A overall this year and I'm worried I just don't have the ability. Please can anyone who's currently doing the exam or done Biology A-level give me some advice on how to get better grades? I've been doing some past papers and learning the material. Also, at this point in the year what grades are people achieving,how are you learning everything and how much revision are you doing? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessiebon)
    Hi so I am doing Biology at A2 atm. I got a B in my first unit and a C in my second unit last year. I failed the EMPA so I'm resitting it but I've decided to also re-sit the second unit. I want to aim high this year because I did 4 a-levels last year and I'm only doing 2 this year (I would explain but it would be too complicated), so I have much more time to revise. I've started doing past papers for the unit 4 exam and I've been getting C's. I want to aim for an A overall this year and I'm worried I just don't have the ability. Please can anyone who's currently doing the exam or done Biology A-level give me some advice on how to get better grades? I've been doing some past papers and learning the material. Also, at this point in the year what grades are people achieving,how are you learning everything and how much revision are you doing? Thanks
    Hey doing A2 Bio as well here.

You honestly have to just try different revision methods and find one that works for you.

Personally, I have recently had great success with going through EVERY single past papers and doing one question at a time to the best of my ability. Then when I have completed it I go to the mark scheme and in a different color pen I write detailed notes on all my corrections and expand on what I need to know. After I am happy with my notes, I move onto the next question.

I think you'd be surprised on the amount of similarities once you've done a few past papers with that method and you will quickly find yourself 'thinking like AQA' and railing off answers exactly as they read in the mark scheme.

Did a lot of this leading up to my Unit 4 mock, and got an A* so pretty chuffed Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student20142014)
    Hey doing A2 Bio as well here.

You honestly have to just try different revision methods and find one that works for you.

Personally, I have recently had great success with going through EVERY single past papers and doing one question at a time to the best of my ability. Then when I have completed it I go to the mark scheme and in a different color pen I write detailed notes on all my corrections and expand on what I need to know. After I am happy with my notes, I move onto the next question.

I think you'd be surprised on the amount of similarities once you've done a few past papers with that method and you will quickly find yourself 'thinking like AQA' and railing off answers exactly as they read in the mark scheme.

Did a lot of this leading up to my Unit 4 mock, and got an A* so pretty chuffed Good luck
    Wow, well done that's amazing
    So, when you first started doing past papers at this time of the year what where your grades like? If you don't mind me asking. I feel like if I'm getting C's now I don't have the ability to get A's in the real exams. I will take your advice on board, thank you! Hopefully I can start thinking like AQA :eek4:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, well done that's amazing
    So, when you first started doing past papers at this time of the year what where your grades like? If you don't mind me asking. I feel like if I'm getting C's now I don't have the ability to get A's in the real exams. I will take your advice on board, thank you! Hopefully I can start thinking like AQA :eek4:
    Well as far as my grades go besides my Mock this year, it is difficult to say as I haven't had much internal examination apart from the mock I sat last week.

However, last year I got a C in Biology (3 marks off a B) at AS and was super disappointed. Back at AS I really didn't appreciate the importance of my exams and my revision was lackluster.

I have since decided I want to do Biology at University, and am really putting in the effort this year and trying to aim for an A overall.

But don't lose faith, it can be difficult be not be anxious when you're revising and getting C's when you want that A. Just keep on working

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student20142014)
    Well as far as my grades go besides my Mock this year, it is difficult to say as I haven't had much internal examination apart from the mock I sat last week.

However, last year I got a C in Biology (3 marks off a B) at AS and was super disappointed. Back at AS I really didn't appreciate the importance of my exams and my revision was lackluster.

I have since decided I want to do Biology at University, and am really putting in the effort this year and trying to aim for an A overall.

But don't lose faith, it can be difficult be not be anxious when you're revising and getting C's when you want that A. Just keep on working
    Well that's a great grade if your revision was poor. Well good luck to you. Thank you for the advice! Really really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    Anyone with anymore advice please, appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    Anyone with anymore advice please, appreciate it
    As said before, you need to try and find a revision strategy which works for you. There may be more than one technique which works - but my personal favourites are mind maps for general topics, and flashcards for definitions. In exams I can visualise the mind maps in my head. I guess it helps me remember the content better rather than trying to rote learn from plain notes. I got 92% in AS last year, so I must have done something right

Good luck.

PS: Believe in yourself! You have the ability to achieve whatever you want to achieve

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a solid reason why you've been getting C's in the past papers you're doing? Are you not familiar enough with the material? Or is it just poor wording/not hitting the key phases in the mark scheme?

I'm in second year of uni now, but did AQA biology at A level and managed to get an A*. The key is to make sure you know the core text book inside and out, and just go through all of the past papers so you can get use to the style of question and the types of key phrases they want in their answers. I know that's pretty generic advice, but it works.

In terms of revision, it's really about finding what works for you. I'm a "read and remember" kind of person, but other people like to condense the information into bullet points/make colourful mind maps/put things into diagrams etc.

Once you get to unit 5 there's a big 25 mark essay question at the end of the exam, so make sure you get some practice in for that before the actual exam.

ReputationRep:
    Well what I think is that instead of jumping into past papers straight away, just learn the content and make power notes or have a power discussion with yourself on a certain topic. For example, photosynthesis - just write down the sub topics on a piece of paper and talk to yourself about it, and if you are unsure about something make a note of it. This is an easy way to learn your content. Than once you are done, get some past papers and mash through all the questions related to the topic you have revised. If you are using the nelson thornes textbook, than you are making a big mistake. Buy the AQA CGP text book and use it as an addition, because it explains things very clearly and simply and there is no waffle.

Oh I forgot to say - once you have done the past papers get a different coloured pen and mark the questions and review all the questions you got wrong. So this will help identify any gaps in your knowledge. You can also see what the mark scheme wants you to answer the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lighfy)
    As said before, you need to try and find a revision strategy which works for you. There may be more than one technique which works - but my personal favourites are mind maps for general topics, and flashcards for definitions. In exams I can visualise the mind maps in my head. I guess it helps me remember the content better rather than trying to rote learn from plain notes. I got 92% in AS last year, so I must have done something right

Good luck.

PS: Believe in yourself! You have the ability to achieve whatever you want to achieve
    I've started to write out the specification notes on the topic I'm doing now to make sure I understand what is being asked of me. Then I'll write out my notes.Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. I managed to get a solid B in the next class mock we did so at least I'm seeing an improvement. Well done on your AS grade btw, that's great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kanra)
    Do you have a solid reason why you've been getting C's in the past papers you're doing? Are you not familiar enough with the material? Or is it just poor wording/not hitting the key phases in the mark scheme?

I'm in second year of uni now, but did AQA biology at A level and managed to get an A*. The key is to make sure you know the core text book inside and out, and just go through all of the past papers so you can get use to the style of question and the types of key phrases they want in their answers. I know that's pretty generic advice, but it works.

In terms of revision, it's really about finding what works for you. I'm a "read and remember" kind of person, but other people like to condense the information into bullet points/make colourful mind maps/put things into diagrams etc.

Once you get to unit 5 there's a big 25 mark essay question at the end of the exam, so make sure you get some practice in for that before the actual exam.
    Yeah I'm definitely going to make sure I do every past paper I can get my hands on. I think I need to be more precise with my answers. And yes I do a lot of writing down and memorising rather than reading and remembering. We've also just down a practice of the big 25 marker in class but I'm yet to get my result back. So nervous for it. Thanks for your help and time, appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bradlydc)
    Well what I think is that instead of jumping into past papers straight away, just learn the content and make power notes or have a power discussion with yourself on a certain topic. For example, photosynthesis - just write down the sub topics on a piece of paper and talk to yourself about it, and if you are unsure about something make a note of it. This is an easy way to learn your content. Than once you are done, get some past papers and mash through all the questions related to the topic you have revised. If you are using the nelson thornes textbook, than you are making a big mistake. Buy the AQA CGP text book and use it as an addition, because it explains things very clearly and simply and there is no waffle.

Oh I forgot to say - once you have done the past papers get a different coloured pen and mark the questions and review all the questions you got wrong. So this will help identify any gaps in your knowledge. You can also see what the mark scheme wants you to answer the question.
    Yes I haven't learnt the material well enough yet. I suppose I should do that before attempting questions but I had the mock and wanted to know what to expect from the questions. Thanks I will do that

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.