Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've searched for a while, could someone give me the general consensus of whether I'd be able to bring my girlfriend to student halls, I know the rules are specific, but I would like to know my chances.

We would like for her to get a job in the area and live with me while I study, and hopefully share the rent.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    To live in student halls, you have to be a student. You could probably have her to stay overnight now and again, but there's no way she would be permitted to live there. Anyone could shop you to the uni, which would lead to you being thrown out. Not worth risking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    To live in student halls, you have to be a student. You could probably have her to stay overnight now and again, but there's no way she would be permitted to live there. Anyone could shop you to the uni, which would lead to you being thrown out. Not worth risking.
    Do you have any advice for the next best thing that we might be able to do? such as a house share?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamwylie)
    Do you have any advice for the next best thing that we might be able to do? such as a house share?
    House share would be OK. You don't have to live in halls if you don't want to. You'd be looking to share with second years though, so the downside is that you'd be moving in with people you don't know. Plus you'd have to start making contact now.

Another wrinkle is that as a non-student, your g/f would need to pay Council Tax. As a household of 100% students would be exempt, she might introduce a complication which other students wouldn't be willing to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    There will be rules in the Halls, but what you should be asking yourself is how regually they are inforced.

Again, in the tennancy agreement, if you house share there are clauses but no one's going to check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamwylie)
    The easiest route would probably be renting a 1 bed or studio flat together.

Most letting agents will want to avoid having one non-student tenant in a student house, as it causes complications with council tax. The tenancies may also be 9 months long (September to June) rather than ongoing, which is what you would probably want if your girlfriend had a full time job. Many houses that are specifically advertised for students will not take a non-student partner, as they know it will cause clashes. Some people will move their partners in unofficially, but because of the council tax rules, this would not be a good idea with a non student girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    If you use a private hall provider and not campus halls then it should be fine!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.