Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. English has always been my passion and I was really let down by my gcse grades of 8 B's and 3 A's. I was certain I got A*'s in English but I got 2 B's and even had them remarked with 1 mark off an A. Sadly I experienced the loss of a classmate and my grandad last year in January and March and lost a lot of motivation despite the fact that my friend and I weren't particularly close but I still was heartbroken by her death. Thus far in my AS's I'm doing really well; I've got a B for my English mock and 2 C's for history and psychology. These were done with no revision. Just wondering if anyone thinks I'm Oxbridge material for September 2016. I can't blame my poor results on my losses but I'm determined to do better than ever this year.

(Original post by VixenMoon)
    Hi. English has always been my passion and I was really let down by my gcse grades of 8 B's and 3 A's. I was certain I got A*'s in English but I got 2 B's and even had them remarked with 1 mark off an A. Sadly I experienced the loss of a classmate and my grandad last year in January and March and lost a lot of motivation despite the fact that my friend and I weren't particularly close but I still was heartbroken by her death. Thus far in my AS's I'm doing really well; I've got a B for my English mock and 2 C's for history and psychology. These were done with no revision. Just wondering if anyone thinks I'm Oxbridge material for September 2016. I can't blame my poor results on my losses but I'm determined to do better than ever this year.
    You could certainly try for it, but you'll need to pull up your grades to three As or more for a realistic chance. And also, do as much extra reading and work on English outside of school as possible, don't just restrict yourself to the school syllabus if you're serious about it. But the first thing is to get the grades at AS, and if after looking at different courses you want to go for it, I wish you the very best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VixenMoon)
    Sounds like you've had a rough time. Oxford and Cambridge are definitely options you can consider if you push those grades up -- if you have decent A-level marks they're unlikely to be that bothered by your GCSEs. As for the extracurricular preparation, one of the fellows at St Edmund Hall recently wrote a helpful blog post with some advice about things you can do (which, really, will stand you in good stead if you go on to study English at any university -- or if you just go on to enjoy reading later in life). That post also lists the actual criteria (as opposed to the myths that people throw around) that they judge candidates on.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that's really helpful

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.