Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There's a fight going on in my head between

The University of Nottingham V Loughborough University

The former being a RG university and the Latter the highest ranked Uni in EM and great for my course..

I've applied to both for Bsc In Computer Science with year in Industry, I've received offers from both Universities

The dilemma here is that Nott is RG which means it will look good on my CV , career etc but I'm afraid if i choose Loughborough the excitement will start to fizzle away once I settled in...

Any Compsci students from both Universities have advise. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdvds)
    There's a fight going on in my head between

The University of Nottingham V Loughborough University

The former being a RG university and the Latter the highest ranked Uni in EM and great for my course..

I've applied to both for Bsc In Computer Science with year in Industry, I've received offers from both Universities

The dilemma here is that Nott is RG which means it will look good on my CV , career etc but I'm afraid if i choose Loughborough the excitement will start to fizzle away once I settled in...

Any Compsci students from both Universities have advise. Thank you.
    take no notice of this Russell group thing and go where you want to go. Russell group is just a marketing collaboration of several unis. Loughborough used to be a member of the new defunct 1994 group which included durham bath Exeter York st Andrews and Lancaster amongst others and is an extremely reputable university

ReputationRep:
    Sensible advice from SwanseaJack.

The only people who obsess about RG are school-leavers.

Employers don't make this distinction. Many employers would not have a clue what an RG Uni is. They are only interested in 'degree' and 'grade'.
    A degree from either of these Unis would look great on anyone's CV.

Go to the Uni where you feel comfortable - and where the courses will hold your enthusiasm for 3 years.

PS. Loughborough is very 'sporty' - if this is your thing, go to Loughborough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sydneybridge)
    Sensible advice from SwanseaJack.

The only people who obsess about RG are school-leavers.

Employers don't make this distinction. Many employers would not have a clue what an RG Uni is. They are only interested in 'degree' and 'grade'.
    A degree from either of these Unis would look great on anyone's CV.

Go to the Uni where you feel comfortable - and where the courses will hold your enthusiasm for 3 years.

PS. Loughborough is very 'sporty' - if this is your thing, go to Loughborough.
    Yeah, I enjoy having a good time playing sports after a studying , it keeps me healthy and mentally sharp...

(Original post by swanseajack1)
    take no notice of this Russell group thing and go where you want to go. Russell group is just a marketing collaboration of several unis. Loughborough used to be a member of the new defunct 1994 group which included durham bath Exeter York st Andrews and Lancaster amongst others and is an extremely reputable university
    hmmm the salary doesn't lie really, looking at the latest figures RG graduates earn 10% and is some case more than non RG, but I'll make the final decision on my enjoyment for the course and not fiat currency. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdvds)
    Yeah, I enjoy having a good time playing sports after a studying , it keeps me healthy and mentally sharp...

hmmm the salary doesn't lie really, looking at the latest figures RG graduates earn 10% and is some case more than non RG, but I'll make the final decision on my enjoyment for the course and not fiat currency. :P
    the Russell group includes 24 universities some of whom oxford Cambridge imperial and lse would make more money but several others don't. bath has a very high starting salary and it is not in RG. If you wish to follow this line do so but there is actually very little to choose between the 30 or so leading universities. starting salary information is influenced by several factors one of which is type of courses offered. imperial and bath have high starting salaries. this is because they offer a large amount of science or engineering courses whereas a uni that concentrates on humanities tend to have lower average salaries

ReputationRep:
    Dentisry £30,681 –––
    Medicine £28,871 –––
    Mechanical Engineering £26,197 £15,774
    Veterinary Medicine £26,045 £18,467
    Materials Technology £24,870 £16,840
    Mathematics £24,437 15980
    Librarianship & Information Management £24,038 £15,900
    Geology £23,766 £14,320
    Computer Science £23,144 £15,649
    Nursing £22,524 £15,417
    Business & Management Studies £21,993 £16,107
    Accounting & Finance £21,821 £16,496
    Physiotherapy £21,538 £14,209
    Aural & Oral sciences £21,358 £14,369
    Education £21,176 £14,095
    Philosophy £20,817 £14,737
    History £20,779 £14,620
    German £20,263 £15,288
    Anatomy & Physiology £20,133 £14,846
    French £19,904 £16,102
    East and South Asian Studies £19,799 £16,317
    Pharmacology & Pharmacy £19,747 £14,243
    Biological Sciences £19,569 £14,415
    Iberian Languages £19,388 £15,406
    Law £19,246 £15,386
    Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation & Tourism £19,042 £15,316
    Sociology £18,847 £14,712
    Italian £18,732 £15,490
    American Studies £18,343 £14,016
    English £18,065 £14,428
    Art & Design £17,934 £13,881
    Communication and Media Studies £17,669 £14,313
    Music £16,458 £13,945
    Celtic Studies £15,119

• Mean salaries of full-time, first degree leavers entering employment or self-employment.
    • For other destination figures, including further study and unemployment please see the full table.

Source: HESA 2011-12
    Published May 2014
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    ?
    I think your table is broken. Is it comparing Loughborough v Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I think your table is broken. Is it comparing Loughborough v Nottingham?
    it is showing how different courses compare and that science and engineering graduates earn more than graduates taking other subjects. The result is that a university doing mostly engineering subjects will have a larger average income than one that largely concentrates on humanities. this makes comparisons between universities worthless. RG unis are largely the ones with medicine, dentistry and veterinary schools. this inflates the average income. it also includes the likes of oxford Cambridge lse and imperial which again increases the RG average.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I don't know why there's a bunch of copy & pasted stats for subjects across all graduates.

Unistats have these specific stats for the courses the OP has applied to

https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subje...eturnTo/Search <= loughborough £25k average salary, 10% unemployed after 6 months, 95% of those working in professional jobs
    https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subje...eturnTo/Search <= nottingham £25k average salary, 10% unemployment, 95% of those in work in professional jobs

Or in other words - ZERO evidnence of any difference between the courses on employability. Pick the course and uni you think you'll enjoy most and do best at.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by PQ)
    I don't know why there's a bunch of copy & pasted stats for subjects across all graduates.

Unistats have these specific stats for the courses the OP has applied to

https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subje...eturnTo/Search <= loughborough £25k average salary, 10% unemployed after 6 months, 95% of those working in professional jobs
    https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subje...eturnTo/Search <= nottingham £25k average salary, 10% unemployment, 95% of those in work in professional jobs

Or in other words - ZERO evidnence of any difference between the courses on employability. Pick the course and uni you think you'll enjoy most and do best at.
    I was about to post exactly the same thing...

ReputationRep:

"Degree class was a more significant factor than attending a Russell Group institution in determining destination, salary and employment sector. The only exception to this was for respondents entering finance or banking, who were more likely to have first-class degrees from Russell Group institutions."

This is from a report from the Institute of Physics. It makes NO difference what sort of University you go to - the more important factors are what classification of degree you get and what else you do while you are there in terms of relevant voluntary work, placements, work experience etc, and you own personal determination to succeed. Therefore, aside from finance, it is up to YOU to decide your career trajectory.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.