Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you ever give money to people that ask for it? I'm talking about people that sit with their dogs next to the cash point/outside the spar shop asking if you've got any change... Do you trust that they're genuinely desperate? Do you know what they'll spend it on? Do you think it's unfair to have a dog if you can't afford to look after it properly? And any other views/comments on the subject....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Do you ever give money to people that ask for it? I'm talking about people that sit with their dogs next to the cash point/outside the spar shop asking if you've got any change... Do you trust that they're genuinely desperate? Do you know what they'll spend it on? Do you think it's unfair to have a dog if you can't afford to look after it properly? And any other views/comments on the subject....?

I do sometimes give money but most often i go and get the person something to eat and drink....I also but the dog a sausage roll or whatever i can get my hands on.
    By providing the food & drink I at least know that the poor person has had something of benefit to them out of the money.
    I dont think its fair to have a dog if you cant afford to look after it properly...however i do also understand why they may have a dog. Not just for sympathy votes but genuinely how invaluble having a dog can be eg (how much comfort they can give to you.) As i can only imagine how lonely some of those people are. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I bought this kid (ok homeless teenager) a happy meal in the city a few months ago, seemed to appreciate it a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kissit)
    however i do also understand why they may have a dog. Not just for sympathy votes but genuinely how invaluble having a dog can be eg (how much comfort they can give to you.) As i can only imagine how lonely some of those people are. :rolleyes:
    Not to mention the added "security" of having a dog - and I mean scaring bullies, biting attackers etc no just emotional security!

I never have any spare change because I know that if I have money in my purse it will just disappear, so I can genuinely say I don't have any. In my home town there are scary men who come and ask you just as you are taking money out of the cashpoint. I don't think it's right to approach a young woman alone at a cashpoint however desperate you are for money. The other one is the "do you have 1p?" and then he sees you have more and gets aggressive :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Not to mention the added "security" of having a dog - and I mean scaring bullies, biting attackers etc no just emotional security!

I never have any spare change because I know that if I have money in my purse it will just disappear, so I can genuinely say I don't have any. In my home town there are scary men who come and ask you just as you are taking money out of the cashpoint. I don't think it's right to approach a young woman alone at a cashpoint however desperate you are for money. The other one is the "do you have 1p?" and then he sees you have more and gets aggressive :mad:
    I imagine most of the dogs were strays in the first place, so a homeless person looking after one of them is fine by me.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that these people are too stubborn? As in - they won't go to the centres and ask for help sorting themselves out? I prefer to give money to charities for the homeless then at least I know the people they help are getting what they need.

ReputationRep:
    From the current poll results no-one would freely give out spare change to a person on the street. Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    From the current poll results no-one would freely give out spare change to a person on the street. Interesting.
    thats because they will just buy booze with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    thats because they will just buy booze with it
    Damn straight. I was in Sainsburys a few months ago, loitering in the alcohol section (as you do) when this bloke arrives. He's obviously a beggar, sleeping bag on his back and all. He's got an empty basket in his hand. He shuffles up and picks up a huge bottle of cheap whisky from the shelf. Putting it in his basket, he turns to me, flashes his toothless grin and says, "This is all I need!" and wanders off to the checkout.

If I were to give money to one beggar, I should be giving money to them all. If I were to give money to them all, I'd be broke. There are ways and means for them to get help. I'm not one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I once gave a begger £50
    Good God, bet he was laughing all the way to his dealer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    Good God, bet he was laughing all the way to his dealer...
    Don't be so cynical. Not all homeless people are drunks/drug addicts. Granted, a few are, which is why it's best to avoid giving them cash, but it's not fair to assume they're all bad. Most of them are have just hit hard times; many lived comfortably before suffering bankruptcy etc...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I admit it's cynical, but the streets of Oxford are so full of homeless people that a healthy dose of cynicism is necessary to avoid feeling very guilty indeed. Anyway, you can never tell which are and which aren't, and there's no way I'm giving money to fuel someone's addiction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Yes, although it may be that some turn to drink or drugs after they are made homeless, but those things weren't the cause of their situation.
    This is quite true.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I admit it's cynical, but the streets of Oxford are so full of homeless people that a healthy dose of cynicism is necessary to avoid feeling very guilty indeed. Anyway, you can never tell which are and which aren't, and there's no way I'm giving money to fuel someone's addiction.
    That's why it's better to give any money to the homeless charities who provide proper support.

ReputationRep:
    Too right! Isn't that what student loans are for ;-)

Well, they were in my day!

ReputationRep:
    I once gave a sleeping bag to a guy who was sleeping rough, he was so grateful I was embarassed. It wasn't something I was going to use again and I'd walked past him and his mate (who did have a sleeping bag) every morning on my way to work.

I tend not to give money. I do buy the big issue, I think that is a brilliant idea and I've given people the odd kebab or burger.

Piginapoke - the guy begging in Middlesbrough probably got more money there, beggers say they get more in poorer areas than afluent ones - see I even read the big issue after I've bought it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    I once gave a sleeping bag to a guy who was sleeping rough, he was so grateful I was embarassed. It wasn't something I was going to use again and I'd walked past him and his mate (who did have a sleeping bag) every morning on my way to work.

I tend not to give money. I do buy the big issue, I think that is a brilliant idea and I've given people the odd kebab or burger.

Piginapoke - the guy begging in Middlesbrough probably got more money there, beggers say they get more in poorer areas than afluent ones - see I even read the big issue after I've bought it.
    I've heard from a few people that the big issue scheme is flawed. Something about being allowed to sell it even if you're not homeless anymore. Apparently there was a big issue seller in Cardiff who died and it turned out he had quite a massive house in the suburbs and a flat that he was renting out in the centre of London!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.