Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I started an integration module and I feel quite lost. It is the basics of integration and is basically showing how to define an integral in terms of area under a graph (definite) etc. I feel like I can do the questions set which just involve dissecting a given interval and taking the endpoint of all the intervals and adding them together and then take the limit as you get infinitly many strips. But I don't understand how we can take the right end point say and then use that, would the left end point give the same area if used to calculate it that way? Presumably it involves showing that both the lower end point and the upper end point have the same limit in the sum???

I have seen many proofs using sup and inf and delta epsilon proofs (again I think this may be proof of the limits) and I don't really understand them to be honest. Especially one proof that shows that the inf of the upper sum must be less or equal to the sup of the lower sum. Is this trying to show the limit is the same?

Also how can you define an indefinite integral as I only know how to define a definite integral using area, (is there any other way rather than saying it is just the opposite of differentiation).

I really like calculus and want to understand it better but it is confusing me very much.

I understand that this post is not all the clearest but maybe if someone can help me in a small way or link me some good resources that I can check out.

It doesnt help also that my lecturer is chinese and I find it very difficult to understand him as english is not both of our first languages haaaaaa.

Thank you guys!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poorform)
    So I started an integration module and I feel quite lost. It is the basics of integration and is basically showing how to define an integral in terms of area under a graph (definite) etc. I feel like I can do the questions set which just involve dissecting a given interval and taking the endpoint of all the intervals and adding them together and then take the limit as you get infinitly many strips. But I don't understand how we can take the right end point say and then use that, would the left end point give the same area if used to calculate it that way? Presumably it involves showing that both the lower end point and the upper end point have the same limit in the sum???

I have seen many proofs using sup and inf and delta epsilon proofs (again I think this may be proof of the limits) and I don't really understand them to be honest. Especially one proof that shows that the inf of the upper sum must be less or equal to the sup of the lower sum. Is this trying to show the limit is the same?

Also how can you define an indefinite integral as I only know how to define a definite integral using area, (is there any other way rather than saying it is just the opposite of differentiation).

I really like calculus and want to understand it better but it is confusing me very much.

I understand that this post is not all the clearest but maybe if someone can help me in a small way or link me some good resources that I can check out.

It doesnt help also that my lecturer is chinese and I find it very difficult to understand him as english is not both of our first languages haaaaaa.

Thank you guys!!!!
    I wish I could help you but this brought back bad memories ...

My second course of analysis was just on calculus but unlike you I hate it ...

I plodded along through the course pulling my hair at times, and during exam leave I memorized (no word of a lie) around 50 theorems and lemmas.

I did get a comfortable first on that course, so plod along ...

(what University are you in?)

ReputationRep:

This all depends on the exact details of how you've defined the integral. That exact definition will have the details required to make sure that you do get the same answer if you take the left end point, or the right end point (or the middle of each interval, for that matter).

It's very hard to give more info without knowing exactly how you've been taught an integral is defined.

In analysis terms, an integral is essentially "area under a curve". But if you consider

\int_c^x f(t)\,dt this will behave very similarly to how you expect the "A-level style" indefinite integral \int f(x)\,dx to. (Note that the lower limit c is arbitrary - so this is where you get the arbit constant from on the LHS).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    This all depends on the exact details of how you've defined the integral. That exact definition will have the details required to make sure that you do get the same answer if you take the left end point, or the right end point (or the middle of each interval, for that matter).

It's very hard to give more info without knowing exactly how you've been taught an integral is defined.

In analysis terms, an integral is essentially "area under a curve". But if you consider

\int_c^x f(t)\,dt this will behave very similarly to how you expect the "A-level style" indefinite integral \int f(x)\,dx to. (Note that the lower limit c is arbitrary - so this is where you get the arbit constant from on the LHS).
    Ok thanks I am using the Riemann integral I believe I can't find the exact notes from my prof but I have been using this pdf as the definitions and theorems are the same with just slightly different notation.

https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~hunter/m125b/ch1.pdf

Seems like good content to me, I spent about an hour looking at it yesterday and trying to get to grips with some of it and I'm definitely getting more comfortable I will see if anyone has anthing to add now I have given more info and try having a go at some exercises and prrofs myself later.

It seems like a lot of it relies on definitions of limits and epsilon delta proofs I believe.

Thanks for the reply though.

ReputationRep:
    I completely forgot to mention it was the Riemann integral apologies.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks I am using the Riemann integral I believe I can't find the exact notes from my prof but I have been using this pdf as the definitions and theorems are the same with just slightly different notation.

https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~hunter/m125b/ch1.pdf
    OK, so this is a fairly standard definition involving taking the sup / inf of f on each interval.

But what I now don't understand is how this relates to:

I feel like I can do the questions set which just involve dissecting a given interval and taking the endpoint of all the subintervals and adding them together and then take the limit as you get infinitly many strips. But I don't understand how we can take the right end point say and then use that, would the left end point give the same area if used to calculate it that way?
    Because this doesn't seem to mention sup / inf at all. I strongly suspect you are just evaluating f at a point in each subinterval. In which case if f isn't actually Riemann integrable then it is possible that evaluating at a different point in each subinterval could give a different result.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 23, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.