The Student Room Group

Aldi Supermarket withdraws soap deemed 'offensive' to Islam

Scroll to see replies

Well it is shopping day for me, I won't be visiting Aldi anymore, I am off to try out Lidl.
Original post by DiddyDec
One person complaining does not make people.

Aldi's management would appear to differ with you on that one.
Original post by Native To Europe
I don't think this single offended muslim would be detrimental to their profits. You are being silly

I'm just standing up for the right of a private company to (not) sell whatever it likes.
If a christian got some offensive soap banned from Aldi then this wouldn't be reported on any news site.
Smart by Aldi - there will soon be an internet campaign signified by #Freedomtobuysoap 'inspiring' thousands of atheists, secularists, anti-Islam/Muslim people and people with a a lot of angst to buy this brand of soap - Aldi will make a fortune!
Original post by felamaslen
I'm just standing up for the right of a private company to (not) sell whatever it likes.

the supermarket did not remove it because it did not want to sell. You are standing up for the rights of muslims who think that they have the right to dictate what shops sell.
Original post by SarcasticMel
Disgusting.

Although it's almost more disgusting that Aldi have no backbone and pander to the PC culture. Terrible culture. It's not even the truth, it's just some stupid phrase now that explains all the "omg better not offend anyone" attitude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think 'disgusting' is a bit of an over exaggeration

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by R Dragon
I think 'disgusting' is a bit of an over exaggeration

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. I honestly find it disgusting that some people are like that guy.
the supermarket did not remove it because it did not want to sell. You are standing up for the rights of muslims who think that they have the right to dictate what shops sell.

I agree that not selling something because some religious nutter is offended by its label is stupid, I just highly doubt that a successful supermarket chain like Aldi would do such a thing if it was detrimental to its profits.

We should be concerned only when our rights are being infringed. Aldi's decision here infringes the rights of nobody.
I agree that not selling something because some religious nutter is offended by its label is stupid, I just highly doubt that a successful supermarket chain like Aldi would do such a thing if it was detrimental to its profits.

We should be concerned only when our rights are being infringed. Aldi's decision here infringes the rights of nobody.

It infringes on the rights of the people manfacturing and wholesaling the product does it not?
It infringes on the rights of the people manfacturing and wholesaling the product does it not?

No. Aldi is under no obligation to buy stuff from them.
No. Aldi is under no obligation to buy stuff from them.

Do you know that for sure? Most supermarket chains have contracts with suppliers, it will probably be repackaged. It could definitely backfire on Aldi, given the movements to anti-Muslim sentiments within Europe.
I find Islam offensive against humanity; can I request that the Quran is banned from the prayer room in my university?
That customer is such a drama queen :facepalm:
I never thought I would see the day when a religion would get offended by soap.......*facepalm x10, what the hell is the world coming to.
Original post by dozyrosie
Do you know that for sure? Most supermarket chains have contracts with suppliers, it will probably be repackaged. It could definitely backfire on Aldi, given the movements to anti-Muslim sentiments within Europe.

If Aldi had a legal contract which they broke, then whoever is on the other end of that contract should take legal action.
Original post by MaseratiJay
All I can say is...how can you be offended by some soap? I mean seriously, it's really not even that serious. I do not understand what the world is coming to...and quite honestly I'm not sure I even want to.

Could they not just take it out of that particular shop and leave it in the others?

Now they have more people wanting it back vs 1 man who moaned about it.

I can't do this anymore! :eek:

I bought the post-massacre edition of Charlie Hebdo off French Ebay. I had never even heard of the magazine before. The Islamist extremists seem to have shot themselves in the foot,judging by the amount of publicity worldwide the magazine now has. And now they are offended by bars of soap. The [Muslim] world is ****ed up. Not all of it,but it seems a large proportion.
Original post by SarcasticMel
No. I honestly find it disgusting that some people are like that guy.

I completely disagree with you. Even though I disagree with the guy, he went about things the right way, he found something he didn't like and he filed an appropriate complaint, didn't make a conspicuous fuss about it. (the media found out but who cares)

No matter whether we agree or disagree with this chap, he went about things in a very diplomatic and correct manner- that I think we can all agree on.

As such, his "actions" were not disgusting by any stretch of the imagination.

P.s.: it would be disgusting if he went about things a different route (e.g. became violent and threatened the staff etc.) But as things stand, he is not to blame.
Original post by R Dragon
I completely disagree with you. Even though I disagree with the guy, he went about things the right way, he found something he didn't like and he filed an appropriate complaint, didn't make a conspicuous fuss about it. (the media found out but who cares)

No matter whether we agree or disagree with this chap, he went about things in a very diplomatic and correct manner- that I think we can all agree on.

As such, his "actions" were not disgusting by any stretch of the imagination.

P.s.: it would be disgusting if he went about things a different route (e.g. became violent and threatened the staff etc.) But as things stand, he is not to blame.

If I went on my cities train company facebook page and wrote how I am offended by fat people sitting next to me, you would call me a dickhead and not "going about things in a very diplomatic and correct manner".

Not to mention, I have been inside the Sofia Hagia, it's not even a mosque...He knew full well that he would have an easy time with this ****.
tbh the name of Aldi could cause offense... it incorporates Ali who was a relative of the Prophet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending