Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that even if I live at home for the first year, I will be able to find some people to move out with in the 2nd year- and share a house with or something?? Becuase the university won't guarantee me accomodation for september, as I live locally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Looking here
    http://www.bugs.bham.ac.uk/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=4

I'd say you'll have no problems...
    yeah but your not going to be with really good friends.

unless your in a house with people on your course, but most people seem to live with the people they are with now.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people here live at home, as the uni won't let them have uni accomodation. If any of my course friends had wanted to move out in their second year I would've quite happily said 'come live with us'. But as it is they're all staying at home again so I'm living with my current flat mates again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    From my experience you're just as likely to get on well with a bunch of (relative) strangers than people you've lived in hall with for a year.

But yeah - I'm just pointing out that at every uni there will be nice people looking for an extra one or two people to fill up their house...it's harder to find a house for 2 or 3 people than to find a room for 1.
    oh weel- sounds like there will be places if i want to...if uni offer me accomodation then it will be easier for me to find people to live with by the sounds of things- so finger's crossed!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    yeah but your not going to be with really good friends.

unless your in a house with people on your course, but most people seem to live with the people they are with now.
    Is that true? Most people here are going with friends they've met on thier course or just around than with their flatmates. I certainly wouldn't want to live with mine for another year. They're nice guys (and girls) but it will nice to be able to leave clean cutlery and crockery out one night and still find it clean the next. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Is that true? Most people here are going with friends they've met on thier course or just around than with their flatmates. I certainly wouldn't want to live with mine for another year. They're nice guys (and girls) but it will nice to be able to leave clean cutlery and crockery out one night and still find it clean the next. :rolleyes:
    There's a mix here, a lot of people I know are living with current flatmates, a few are living with coursemates. I do regret saying I'd live with my current housemates so early (we found a house just after christmas) cos since christmas I did make much better friends with people on my course, and started going out with them more, and now most of my course friends feel the same, and we're starting to think we should have got a chemistry house together! There's always 3rd year I suppose!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    There's a mix here, a lot of people I know are living with current flatmates, a few are living with coursemates. I do regret saying I'd live with my current housemates so early (we found a house just after christmas) cos since christmas I did make much better friends with people on my course, and started going out with them more, and now most of my course friends feel the same, and we're starting to think we should have got a chemistry house together! There's always 3rd year I suppose!
    Ah bad luck, house hunting at Essex happens much later. I got mine sorted in March and some people are still looking as theres lots of housing available round here. The same thing happened to me, it took me until around christmas to work out who my real friends were and ive only started doing a lot of stuff with them recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Ah bad luck, house hunting at Essex happens much later. I got mine sorted in March and some people are still looking as theres lots of housing available round here. The same thing happened to me, it took me until around christmas to work out who my real friends were and ive only started doing a lot of stuff with them recently.
    Well housing week was in March here as well, however we'd decided (well they decided, I just agreed) to live together before christmas, when I was still getting to know course people (not living with them means it takes longer to really become good friends I think). However some family friends new someone who's son is here and just about to graduate, and his family own a house, so they gave me his number at christmas and the house is perfect, but I made the mistake of telling my current housemates about it, and then by the time other chemistry people said "who're you living with next year" I couldn't really back out of it. never mind, they are nice people, they just aren't my kind of people!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.