ikrama
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm planning to self-teach Maths and Further Maths A-levels and so I will have completely free choice over which applied modules I want to do but I'm not sure which would be most helpful. I want to eventually do something psychology-based at university. Am I right in thinking that statistics modules will be most useful for that? Is it worth doing all of S1-4 or would it be better to do some mechanics/decision as well?
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ikrama)
I'm planning to self-teach Maths and Further Maths A-levels and so I will have completely free choice over which applied modules I want to do but I'm not sure which would be most helpful. I want to eventually do something psychology-based at university. Am I right in thinking that statistics modules will be most useful for that? Is it worth doing all of S1-4 or would it be better to do some mechanics/decision as well?
Stats would be useful but there would be no expectation that a student had studied beyond S2

Most psychology courses do not even require maths
ikrama
Rep:
?
Yeah, I really enjoy maths though so would like to do it anyway. Also, do you have to sit 3/6 modules at a time? Or can you do, for example, 4 modules in one session?
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, I really enjoy maths though so would like to do it anyway. Also, do you have to sit 3/6 modules at a time? Or can you do, for example, 4 modules in one session?
You can do 4 in a session

How long are you intending to take to complete the ALevels?
ikrama
Rep:
?
I'm in Year 11 doing AS Maths at the moment (I did the GCSE a year early) so will do 3 modules this summer, then I'm planning to hopefully do the rest of it across the next two years...
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in Year 11 doing AS Maths at the moment (I did the GCSE a year early) so will do 3 modules this summer, then I'm planning to hopefully do the rest of it across the next two years...
Why are you self teaching?

Some universities may not like the 3 year model
ikrama
Rep:
?
Basically my school only offers Further Maths if you only take two other A levels and there are too many other subjects I want to do so I thought maths would probably be easier to self-teach than something like Spanish. I might just do the normal maths A level in school instead, I just wanted to look into the options for self-teaching as well.

(Original post by TenOfThem)
Some universities may not like the 3 year model
I think what my school usually does to get around this is they don't "cash in" the modules until the end of Year 13 so that it appears that the A levels were taken over 3 years
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Basically my school only offers Further Maths if you only take two other A levels and there are too many other subjects I want to do so I thought maths would probably be easier to self-teach than something like Spanish. I might just do the normal maths A level in school instead, I just wanted to look into the options for self-teaching as well.

I think what my school usually does to get around this is they don't "cash in" the modules until the end of Year 13 so that it appears that the A levels were taken over 3 years
It is the "taking over 3 years" that is the issue

But I am sure your school has thought things through
ikrama
Rep:
?
(Original post by TenOfThem)
It is the "taking over 3 years" that is the issue

But I am sure your school has thought things through
Whoops sorry I meant to say so that it looks like it was taken over 2 years
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Unis can see when you've taken the modules so they will see you have taken them three years. Make sure you complete maths in Year 12 and then F maths in Y13.

What other subjects are you planning to take? Are you aware that most A levels are becoming linear ....
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Whoops sorry I meant to say so that it looks like it was taken over 2 years
You have to put the years down on UCAS so that doesn't work
ikrama
Rep:
?
Hmmm ok, I will have to ask my maths teacher about it. Thanks for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (224)
43.41%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.24%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (40)
7.75%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
20.93%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (58)
11.24%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise