Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, please could someone explain the following experiment. You tie a paper clip to a piece of string fixed to a clamp stand and then use a magnet to make it hover in mid air. You then swipe different materials between the magnet and the paperclip. Some materials make it fall and other have no effect. Magnetic materials (e.g. steel) seem to have an effect. Please could someone explain how this works. From what I have read I have an idea. I know it has something to do with magnetic shielding. Say if you put another paper clip in-between the magnet and the levitating paperclip on the string then will the paperclip in the middle essentially provide a place for magnetic field lines form the magnet to terminate leaving less to terminate on the levitating clip and hence it falls? But I thought magnetic materials strengthened the field though (as in an electromagnet) so shouldn't the magnetic material make the attraction to the levitating clip stronger?

(Original post by Bibloski)
    Hi, please could someone explain the following experiment. You tie a paper clip to a piece of string fixed to a clamp stand and then use a magnet to make it hover in mid air. You then swipe different materials between the magnet and the paperclip. Some materials make it fall and other have no effect. Magnetic materials (e.g. steel) seem to have an effect. Please could someone explain how this works. From what I have read I have an idea. I know it has something to do with magnetic shielding. Say if you put another paper clip in-between the magnet and the levitating paperclip on the string then will the paperclip in the middle essentially provide a place for magnetic field lines form the magnet to terminate leaving less to terminate on the levitating clip and hence it falls? But I thought magnetic materials strengthened the field though (as in an electromagnet) so shouldn't the magnetic material make the attraction to the levitating clip stronger?
    This page might help.
    I suspect your magnet is positioned such that the N or S pole is nearest the clip and shield.
    However the principle is the same.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?...ding-materials

Yes the steel does "strengthen" the field but it concentrates the lines of flux within itself, preventing them from getting out the other side. This reduces the field strength on the other side of the plate.

This also shows it but not so clearly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.