Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my name is Dan and I am currently a Year 11 student.

I am doing only 9 GCSEs but I have good estimated grades which are
    -English Language - A (already achieved)
    -English Literature - A
    -Mathematics - A
    -Biology - B
    -Chemistry - A
    -Physics - A
    -P.E - A*
    -History - B
    -French - C

I want to study medicine at Liverpool University when I leave 6th form and whilst I am doing A levels at 6th form, I need AAA in Biology, Chemistry and Maths and a B in a subject of my choice (PE) as a minimum, to get on to the course at uni.

However, Liverpool Uni have a point scoring system where A*/A = 2 points and a B= 1 point. Because I am only taking 9 that means the highest I can get is 18 points and you need a minimum of 15. I have other qualifications such as BTECs through the Army Cadet Force and have done Bronze DofE and am doing silver currently and will have hopefully done gold by then as well. I plan on doing volunteer work in a care home as it is care related and also working with people. I don't think I will get an A in French but I think I will be able to scrape a B and also the B grades I am currently estimated, I feel I could bring to an A. As much as this would put me on 17 points, I feel there will be people with more points because of extra GCSEs which I was not offered.

Because I know that there is a target I need to reach it has put extra pressure on me and I am feeling the stress.

I have always wanted to become a doctor since I was young and even more so because I have been ill for a lot of my final GCSE year and have been in and out of hospital and staying there for a while as well.

This affected my studies and the work I am putting in now to catch up is an unbelievable effort but I still have doubt.

The questions I have are -
    1) If I do get 15-18 points, would I still be considered if i got the required A level grades and also because of the things I do outside of school such as the DofE and volunteering. I just feel there will be stronger candidates and want to know how likely I am to get accepted into the course.
    2) What are the best ways to reduce stress?
    3) What is the best way to revise?

Any help you are able to give me would be extremely appreciated 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by SL0V4K)
    Hi, my name is Dan and I am currently a Year 11 student.

I am doing only 9 GCSEs but I have good estimated grades which are
    -English Language - A (already achieved)
    -English Literature - A
    -Mathematics - A
    -Biology - B
    -Chemistry - A
    -Physics - A
    -P.E - A*
    -History - B
    -French - C

I want to study medicine at Liverpool University when I leave 6th form and whilst I am doing A levels at 6th form, I need AAA in Biology, Chemistry and Maths and a B in a subject of my choice (PE) as a minimum, to get on to the course at uni.

However, Liverpool Uni have a point scoring system where A*/A = 2 points and a B= 1 point. Because I am only taking 9 that means the highest I can get is 18 points and you need a minimum of 15.
    Liverpool Medical School only consider the top 9 GCSEs for everyone, so the maximum anyone can score is 18. You're quite right when you say that an A*/A = 2 points and a B = 1 point though.

I have other qualifications such as BTECs through the Army Cadet Force and have done Bronze DofE and am doing silver currently and will have hopefully done gold by then as well. I plan on doing volunteer work in a care home as it is care related and also working with people. I don't think I will get an A in French but I think I will be able to scrape a B and also the B grades I am currently estimated, I feel I could bring to an A. As much as this would put me on 17 points, I feel there will be people with more points because of extra GCSEs which I was not offered.
    Much of that extracurricular stuff certainly sounds worthwhile. They do say that they give preference to candidates with higher GCSE scores so try your best to see if you can bring them up to 17/18.

The questions I have are -
    1) If I do get 15-18 points, would I still be considered if i got the required A level grades and also because of the things I do outside of school such as the DofE and volunteering. I just feel there will be stronger candidates and want to know how likely I am to get accepted into the course.
    The minimum you need is indeed 15 but there is some preference given to people who have higher scores.

Just to give you an idea, for 2013 entry, the average GCSE points score to get an invite to interview was 17.3 (from what I know). Of course, people below the average would have also gotten interviews. I think it is very hard for anyone here to say how likely it is you'll get accepted into the course as none of us know your exact circumstances, what your PS will be like etc.

2) What are the best ways to reduce stress?
    I found it useful to just take time off to relax to just try to get away from it all. So maybe do something you enjoy in your breaks, listen to music, talk to people close to you about how you're feeling if things get a bit overwhelming etc.

3) What is the best way to revise?
    I think it varies between individuals tbh! I found making notes and doing past papers was the most useful for me but you may find something else better for you. Maybe try a variety of different techniques to see which one you think is best for you.

Good luck with your exams.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I only made an account on this like 3 hours ago and I've already had some good advice and answers. Thanks again 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.