Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Let me tell you the background first:
    I failed my AS levels except English (C) due to personal circumstances. As a result I took off a year from studies. During that time I moved out of my house and the area I moved to could not provide me with anywhere to retake my a-levels. However, the local Uni ran courses that would end up getting me a Certificate of Higher Education. So I started the courses and have 40 credits left until it's complete.

Coming back to present. I applied for 3 foundation courses and 2 normal 3-year BA's. So far I have been accepted to BOTH normal courses (one conditional and the other unconditional). I got a rejection from Goldsmiths today which I found out via UCAS. I don't really understand how I can get rejected from a LOWER course?I had previously emailed Goldmiths as I didn't believe my CertHE would be enough to go straight into their 3-year course, and was told that they wouldn't even look further at my application if I applied with my CertHE. But they also said I was a valid candidate for the foundation course.

Sorry for the rant.. Goldsmiths was my first choice and I just feel deflated with this news. I wish they had sent me an email with the rejection, the UCAS update just felt really harsh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eeveehoward)
    Let me tell you the background first:
    I failed my AS levels except English (C) due to personal circumstances. As a result I took off a year from studies. During that time I moved out of my house and the area I moved to could not provide me with anywhere to retake my a-levels. However, the local Uni ran courses that would end up getting me a Certificate of Higher Education. So I started the courses and have 40 credits left until it's complete.

Coming back to present. I applied for 3 foundation courses and 2 normal 3-year BA's. So far I have been accepted to BOTH normal courses (one conditional and the other unconditional). I got a rejection from Goldsmiths today which I found out via UCAS. I don't really understand how I can get rejected from a LOWER course?I had previously emailed Goldmiths as I didn't believe my CertHE would be enough to go straight into their 3-year course, and was told that they wouldn't even look further at my application if I applied with my CertHE. But they also said I was a valid candidate for the foundation course.

Sorry for the rant.. Goldsmiths was my first choice and I just feel deflated with this news. I wish they had sent me an email with the rejection, the UCAS update just felt really harsh.
    It's hard not getting into your first choice uni, but YOU HAVE 2 OFFERS! That is really good! Some people JUST get 1.

Could it be the fact that your not suited to a foundation degree ( forexample your predicted grades are higher compared to other applicants etc etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by games211)
    It's hard not getting into your first choice uni, but YOU HAVE 2 OFFERS! That is really good! Some people JUST get 1.

Could it be the fact that your not suited to a foundation degree ( forexample your predicted grades are higher compared to other applicants etc etc)

I am extremely happy with my offers! The thing is that I was told by the head of department that my grades were right for the course as you don't need formal grades for the course, you don't even need GCSE's. I have wanted to go to Goldsmiths since i was a kid... I really thought i was going to get in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eeveehoward)
    I am extremely happy with my offers! The thing is that I was told by the head of department that my grades were right for the course as you don't need formal grades for the course, you don't even need GCSE's. I have wanted to go to Goldsmiths since i was a kid... I really thought i was going to get in
    I would suggest emailing/phoning them, and explaining you situation and desire to study at Goldsmiths. You seem really passionate about it Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by games211)
    I would suggest emailing/phoning them, and explaining you situation and desire to study at Goldsmiths. You seem really passionate about it Good luck
    Thanks but if they wanted me they would have offered me a place on a diff course, they can do that as Westminster only offered me a place on English Language and Creative Writing when I applied for English Lit and CW.

I'm going to take it as a loss. A heart breaking one but it just wasn't meant to be. I will probably aim for my conditional as it is at Royal Holloway

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.