This discussion is closed.
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Darn.
Wimbledon is on right now, and I can't watch it cos I've got a chemistry exam tomorrow. It's taking all of my willpower to not go downstairs and watch it. I can't wait till after tomorrow so I can just watch Wimbledon all day (or maybe not all day). But it's bugging cos I'm missing a whole day of tennis. Oh well!
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
O.k., let me give you the highlights..........

THERE WONT BE ANY .
Isn't it just hitting a ball continuously until someone doesn't, and then repeat for a few hours.
Guest Rob
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Originally posted by Xenon
Darn.
Wimbledon is on right now, and I can't watch it cos I've got a chemistry exam tomorrow. It's taking all of my willpower to not go downstairs and watch it. I can't wait till after tomorrow so I can just watch Wimbledon all day (or maybe not all day). But it's bugging cos I'm missing a whole day of tennis. Oh well!
...and instead of both of those, you're on these forums
Xenon
Rep:
?
Nah, actually, I never close the window, so it seems as if I'm always on the forum. Really, I occasionally come to check up on the forum. So I am doing some work. And I guess some people like tennis, and some people don't. It's up to the individual. And actually, grass court tennis contains more variety, as there is more volleying, at least there's a bit of volleying, even if it mainly only from Tim Henman.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Darn.
I know exactly what you mean!!
I was in the same boat yest - reviisng for chem but wanting to watch the tennis! Greg was playing too which made it even worse! In the end I had the tv on mute so that I was only allowed to look at the score occasionally!
But now all my exams are done, so i just had a nice relaxing afternoon watching Tim win!!! woohoo!
I'm off to wimbledon next monday as well as a treat after exams! I highly recommend going if you haven't before- it's absolutely wicked!!!
Xenon
Rep:
?
Yeah, I've been watching wimbledon today as well. Decided to watch Tim Henman's match before starting to read the new harry potter book. Wanted to see Alex Bogdanovic do well, but it seems that he's really struggling to do well as yet. Too many unforced errors, not much work at the net, and too many first serves in.
I went to watch Wimbledon to years ago. I saw Parmar, the Williams sisters, Capriati, the Woodies and Philippousis and Clement play. Tried to find the woodies after the match to get their autograph, but they disappeared. Anyone know the best way to find players to get a photo/autograph of them, without having to be in the front row of the courts?
Toyosi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Why does the BBC assume everyone wants to watch tennis. I miss neighbours! Might just be me but nobody I know really cares that much about Wimbledon. And whats with Tim Henman? What has he won and why does the nation place their hopes on him every year?
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Originally posted by Toyosi
Why does the BBC assume everyone wants to watch tennis. I miss neighbours! Might just be me but nobody I know really cares that much about Wimbledon. And whats with Tim Henman? What has he won and why does the nation place their hopes on him every year?
Wimbledon is our home Grand Slam, and given that Tiger Tim seems to play better at SW19 than at any other venue on the ATP tour every year, then most of the nation has come to expect that he will get to the QF or SF each year, and will be grossly disappointed if he doesn't. The fact that the round of 16 is probably his average performance all year round, means nothing to the British supporters who turn up at the All England event.

On many occasions, and after Gregs verbal session today, Tim has been the last Brit in, and home supporters are always going to get behind home competitors before they start supporting players from other nations. Us Brits are passionate in our support of our sporting representatives, rugby and football being the key examples, and then there's this "Hen-mania" from about Queen's week onwards which takes the country by storm.
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
but we wouldnt mind if neighbours was put on bbc2. why did we need henmans match on both bbc1 and bbc2. you cant watch both at the same time???

love Katy ***
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think at that sort of time of day they are just crossing over from BBC 1 to BBC 2 or visa verca, that or moving to a different match on one court once they get the continuity right from the original match being shown.

They throw us lazy gits all over the place when we have to change channel.
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
so wouldnt it make sence if they jsut swaped at 6pm, rather than haivng it on both for the 25 mins that neighbours should b on??? if youve been watching all afternoon your not gonna change until 6, and if u've just turned the telly on, well, your more likely to flick so you'll know the tennis is on one.

basicly its just that the bbc r horrible.

love Katy ***
Al:Guest
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I'm just glad Home & Away is on 5! By far the best soap around.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i love wimbledon
i also love neighbours
i would be completely divided if they were on at the same time...i'd hav 2 tape neighbours (how sad can you get?)
the reason neighbours stops is because in australia they ahve a huge summer break + if we kept goin thru wimbledon, christmas etc. we'd catch up
Xenon
Rep:
?
Anyone heard of the cutdown of the number of tickets for centre court for middle saturday. On the news it said that they're cutting numbers down from about 3000 to only 500, to increase safety. Where have they got that idea from? I mean, you don't exactly hear of court invasions or fights in the grounds. What's the improvement in having so many less tickets? I'd say that that's worse, cos people would be so annoyed at having queued up for so long to see someone like Henman, and not getting it. I just think it's really unfair for those who have queued up since night or something, and find that they've just missed outon a ticket or something. It also might have a great negative effect on the atmosphere.
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Anyone heard of the cutdown of the number of tickets for centre court for middle saturday. On the news it said that they're cutting numbers down from about 3000 to only 500, to increase safety. Where have they got that idea from? I mean, you don't exactly hear of court invasions or fights in the grounds. What's the improvement in having so many less tickets? I'd say that that's worse, cos people would be so annoyed at having queued up for so long to see someone like Henman, and not getting it. I just think it's really unfair for those who have queued up since night or something, and find that they've just missed outon a ticket or something. It also might have a great negative effect on the atmosphere.
LOL. Actually it's not for the sake of there being too many people in the grounds or stuff. I've read on the Wimbledon website that the cut in the number of tickets made available for Centre and No. 1 on Peoples Saturday from 2000 to 500 was for safety.... in the QUEUES !

Last year for Peoples Saturday, 9000 people kipped out over night, and this lead to some form of serious incident on the streets in the early hours - and it also had some policing implications that the SW19 didn't want to foot the bill for.

So they've reduced the number of tickets, and although this will increase frustrations - this isn't a sudden announcement, and it was known that this was the tickets policy for some considerable amount of time from about October.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Ok, fair enough. Guess I didn't get all the facts straight. Sorry. I didn't hear about that till the actual day. I'm glad I wasn't one of those queuing up that day, who hadn't heard about this.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Whoops, forgot to sign in. The last post was from me.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Good to know you'd blindly follow anything because it's British.
giddylid1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Darn.
oh the joys
giddylid1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Originally posted by Al:Guest
I'm just glad Home & Away is on 5! By far the best soap around.
I agree
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (517)
33.72%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.36%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads