Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi guys,
    So recently year 11 took their mocks. Our school got our results back fairly quickly, and to cut a long story short, I Failed... all of them.
    I haven't had English or geography back yet, but I got a C in maths, an E in History and an E in science. I really, really, really want to go to my school's sixthform, but they require 5A*-B grades, and my confidence of getting those grades is low now. Before the mocks, I was predicted mostly B's, But I'm really stressed and wondering... If I failed my mocks, will my school still offer me a conditional offer, as I'm an internal candidate? I already have an A in rs, and I hope to study Classics, philosophy, rs and geography... I'm just so sad and confused. I really wish the school wouldn't do this to us. I really appreciate your answers and feedback thanks guys!:confused:

Well, I guess it depends on your school as to how much leeway they're prepared to give - it might be worth talking to a teacher or head of year about your concerns, and see what their attitude would be. And also ask for advice/help on how to improve; most teachers do actually want their pupils to do well!
    And part of that is marking mocks harshly - in most cases mocks are the reality check that persuade people to really work hard for the real things. You have a few months - you could push up grades in all your subjects! You might have to look at your revision style (are you learning effectively) and your exam technique (are you communicating your knowledge in the way that will get marks in an exam), but you can definitely do it. With work. So please don't let bad mock results get you down; take it as an incentive to get the results you want. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Actaeon,
    This has been a massive reality check. I think a lot of students have an artificial idea that if they're predicted, say a B, that's the grade they would get if they didn't do any revision, but the truth is you have to work for that grade. I'm doing 2 past History questions a week, and asking my teacher to mark them. I'm going to talk to my head of year tomorrow to reassure myself. Again, Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I did pretty badly in my mocks, but my actual grades were much better. I got a D in my History mock because of a very silly mistake (I wrote the whole exam about Clemenceau while the question was about Wilson), but I got an A in the real thing and am now studying AS History. Your mocks are a way of figuring out where you are going wrong before your actual results day when it is too late! Use this as a way of making sure you can do what you need to do in the exam. If you don't already have them, ask for your mock papers back and ask your teachers to go over what you can improve from them, and the best way of answering the exam questions. I think most people do worst in their mocks and their actual exams.

ReputationRep:
    Mocks are a crap indicator of how you'll really do - I got a D in the English Language mock last year and got full UMS in the real thing (A*)

Don't worry, I'm sure you will do well in the real papers.

ReputationRep:
    Mocks mean nothing. I got a D in my English language mock and an A* in my GSCE, E in chemistry and then got a B in the actual exam (was only 3 marks off an A aswell). Had quite a few more like those 2 aswell. Just work hard from now till May/June time and you'll easily be able to obtain at least the 6 B's you need to go to sixth form.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.